Notices

Is this normal? am i nutso?

Old 06-24-2017, 10:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is this normal? am i nutso?

Normal to be crying all over the place during first few weeks of sobriety? im blubbering mess and then im up and somewhat stable and then crying again!
Old 06-24-2017, 11:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Normal, IMO. There's a ton of stuff that can come bubbling to the surface in the early weeks, not to mention we are all over the place biochemically and hormonally.

Cry. It can be really useful. One of the things I miss. I know that sounds bizarre but it's very cleansing and I'm of an age where I just don't cry anymore, no matter how upset I am.

Life is weird.

Sending you a hug.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, it's normal.
It was for me anyways.
There was a long, long time I couldn't cry after I had spent a few drunk years crying over random crap that 5 minutes later wouldn't mean much of anything.

When I finally sobered up properly, and did some real recovery work, I went through a couple periods of days or moments in a day where the tears would come and they would just pour down my face...
I stopped trying to hold them back and just let them out. It's cleansing in a way. You are giving vent to emotions that you have long numbed with booze.

And Aries is right, we're all all over the place when we quit with the numbing. Our brains are healing and trying to figure out how to rewire itself properly. There will be lots of ups and downs, it will get better as you learn how to cope with it sober. It won't stay that way forever, I promise. Doesn't mean once it stops it won't happen again. That's ok. We're human. And we're healing.

There have been many times I've cried over the pain of the past, the wreckage I've left behind me, but there have also been many moments of crying from relief and gratitude that the death grip has let up on me and I feel so much more hope now.

Go with what you can that is healthy, and know that this is healthy.
If you feel like it's leading you down a hole of depression, take good care of yourself, reach out and get some professional support via dr or counselor.

Most importantly, be gentle and kind to yourself. And post here as much as you need, I find getting all my thoughts out, or as many as possible help me keep my head on straight. I also really find getting out into the real world, getting as much support as possible and building a new and healthy social circle is doing very good things for my recovery.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The alcohol was suppressing your nervous system and now it's really sensitive to any stimulus. Emotional responses feel very overwhelming because you're used to being some degree of numb.

It took me a while to not panic every time I felt something, and wait for it to pass.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was diagnosed with ptsd, gad,and severe depression (apparently some drs say u cant have depression and anxiety at the same time which is buuuuuullpoo)

Its just sprung RIGHT UP !
Old 06-24-2017, 11:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Not nutso at all I remember the tears would fall at the most random times, first time was in the first week which scared the bejeezers out of me because I was listening to tunes while exercising. I asked my psychiatrist and he said it was completely normal and to be expected. Every time after that I was fine, crying actually brings a sense of relief for me. My body is telling me it's ok and I'm actually feeling real emotions.
Plus I always felt better after a good blubber. It's therapeutic
Old 06-24-2017, 11:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was all over the place emotionally in early recovery. It's normal. With more sober time, you should feel more balanced.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It took me a long time to adjust physically, mentally and even emotionally after I stopped drinking, I had drank myself numb over many years and I had to learn how to feel once again.

Keep pushing through Chilledice!!
Old 06-24-2017, 01:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PurpleKnight View Post
It took me a long time to adjust physically, mentally and even emotionally after I stopped drinking, I had drank myself numb over many years and I had to learn how to feel once again.

Keep pushing through Chilledice!!
Its just that EVERYTHING has just come up BLAM WHAM right in my head, i knew i had to quit drinking due to it worsening the poop inside my mind....................just want it to get better!
Old 06-24-2017, 03:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Buckle down and hang in there. I still feel exactly that way and I'm coming up on 4.5 months.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chilledice View Post
Its just that EVERYTHING has just come up BLAM WHAM right in my head, i knew i had to quit drinking due to it worsening the poop inside my mind....................just want it to get better!
years of TRYING to stuff everything with alcohol, i was a serious mess for some time after i stopped drinking. with T.I.M.E. my emotions and feeling leveled out.
keep trudging,chilled!
it WILL get better.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Very normal. I only cried like that once outside of the time I quit drinking and that's when my mom died. Our brains are so used to being numbed out that when you start feeling again everything is magnified.