Notices

Sort of New

Old 06-23-2017, 06:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sort of New

It has been a while since I have been on this forum. Every so often I start down the road of giving up alcohol but convince myself that I do not have an issue and eventually resume back to my bad habits. I do not know if I would even be considered an alcoholic but I do not like where I am heading.

Until I was in my late 20's I never really drank. I was always into athletics and very big into working out and staying healthy. I would occasionally have a few beers on the weekend and would feel guilty.

In my late 20's I started drinking at home. I would have a few glasses of wine while watching TV and would go to bed but always felt like crap the next day. I am now 36 and as time went on I have found myself having almost a bottle of wine a night and maybe taking 1-2 days off from alcohol a week. I still work out.. still am playing the sports I love and am pretty successful in my career but I crave alcohol at night when I have nothing to do.

I know drinking a 3-4 big glasses of alcohol a night cannot be good for me and I want to give it up for good. I made it 6 days with no alcohol which is the longest I have made it in years. I started going to bed at 830 and waking up at 340 to workout. I had a slip up last night and am realizing giving it up for good will be harder than I thought. My entire social network and life has revolved around alcohol for years. My vacations, my friends, our nights out, our golf trips... I am looking for any advice on how to deal with this.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Mach,

Imo...

Wanting to quit is half the battle won.

Then it is embracing sobriety.

You have all the knowledge because of the internet.

You know all about booze and addiction.

I just got back from an all inclusive vacation. I ate like a horse, slept 8 plus hours a night, enjoyed many activities offered. I came back w amazing memories and stronger than when I left.

There were some people drinking . I watched them, because I am an addict, and I saw them acting drunk and foolish.

I knew what they felt like, the whole curve. I didn't envy that at all.

Drinking is a learned behavior. It can be unlearned.

Thanks.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back Machine!!

Creating a plan and changing up your routines/habits are gonna be key, here's a link to plenty of info:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 06-24-2017, 02:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Machine528,

It sounds to me like your drinking is at odds with your core values and beliefs and it is causing you to experience this disturbance...you'd be wise to listen to what your subconscious mind is trying to tell you. At a basic level drinking a bottle of wine a night does not appear to fit with your values of working out, health and fitness in general. Might be helpful to identify what your core values and beliefs are then work on how you can make changes to your life to live in tune with them...it has certainly helped me feel more at peace.

Wishing you well on your recovery x
Old 06-24-2017, 03:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back

why not stick around this time - I found becoming a part of this community really helped me make the changes I needed to make

Tons of support here

D
Old 06-24-2017, 04:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome machine,
For me I either drank or didn't. No in between. I can tell you that giving up alcohol for good has been life changing for me. Hope you post often
Old 06-24-2017, 07:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Machine. 3:40 a.m. workouts are impressive! Make some changes to your routine, and try something new in the evening to keep your hands and mind occupied. As for social activities, drinking buddies may fall to the side, but true friends will stick around.