Notices

Day 1 Again

Old 05-27-2017, 05:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 Again

I'm back at day 1. I have been battling this since mid-February. I think I'm really ready to stop drinking this time. I'm lucky I have a job where I haven't been fired yet. Any other boss would have fired me months ago.
I'm hoping the next two days won't be so bad. I can't afford to go to my doctor right now. I am taking Valerian and it is honestly helping tremendously.

I do have a question. What supplements have you all taken in the beginning to help with detox?
Old 05-27-2017, 05:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I drank coconut water, took b-complex vitamins, theanine, and yes, valerian to calm my nerves. Chamomile tea was also great for getting relaxed and calming my mind.
Stay hydrated and try to eat what you can that is healthy like eggs, fruits and vegetables. Keep posting.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm a big proponent of food when recovering. Eating is often the last thing we want to do, but our bodies are screaming for nutrition. So my recommendation would be try to eat something.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm at Day 1 (again) with you. Thank you for the mention of the Valerian. I'm going to pick some up, myself. Wishing you well on quitting! We can do this!
Old 05-27-2017, 08:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Im with you

Back on day one as well - lets beat if for good this time!
Old 05-27-2017, 08:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back Sunshine,

Glad you made it back and you're ready to start over.

When I quit I began taking: Multi vitamins, B-12, Fish Oil, Thiamine and my doctor prescribed Naltrexone to help with cravings. My drink of choice is: Lemon or lime, cranberry juice and seltzer water. I also drink at least 1 protein shake daily and eat healthy foods.

Hang in there and take good care of yourself.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I ate out of control the first two or three weeks of sobriety. But I wasn't getting the 1000s of worthless alcohol calories so it was a good thing. Now at day 42, the eatting has settled down and the cravings and mood swings are less also. But I still have to stay vigilant! Stay strong it is totally worth it....and doable!!
Old 05-27-2017, 11:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad you are back. It took me a while to finally get sobriety right, and I am now at 17 months and feel better both physically and mentally. I've had to deal with a few difficult situations during my sober time, and I am so glad I'm not drinking, it would have made them worse.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I hate there are so many relapse day 1's but I'm glad you are back!

Feeling okay but scaredy cat me always dreads the first 48 hours thinking something bad is going to happen. The valerian really is helping. I've been taking a smaller dose in increments to see how it affects me before I take the right dose to help with sleep. My anxiety is pretty low right now.

I think I was drinking 8-9 beers through the day for about four days. I did a little tapering the past two days but I haven't been eating very much because my body is refusing food. I'm going to try to some soup and bread. I feel that my digestive system won't have to work as hard to digest that. Digestion always kicks my anxiety up when I'm not feeling well or having high anxiety to begin with. My face is less red today too. I've actually been up and doing things and that makes me happy.

I hate wasting time and that's exactly what drinking does to me. I'm a pretty active person with two jobs so I stay pretty busy. When I start drinking everything is done to the bare minimum of what needs to be done. I'm so ready to be DONE with that!

One of my biggest problems is what to do in the evening so I won't go get those first two beers. I think I'll go for a walk around 7:30. By the time I get home I'll make some tea and relax. If I can busy myself until 8 I usually won't go get those first two beers.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good luck guys, you can do this

Sunshine, have you tried reading and posting on SR in the evening when it's critical?

We're here for you all. All the best X
Old 05-27-2017, 03:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Posting on here in the evening is a good idea. I did run by the gas station to get smokes and did not buy beers. That's a huge win for me!
Old 05-27-2017, 03:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I got outside as much as I possibly could. Exercise and natural environments help me a lot.
And yoga.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I was in early sobriety, I walked my dogs every time I had a bad craving. They got a lot of walks and I stayed sober.

Seven and a half years later, they still get a lot of walks and I'm still sober.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I recommend folks see a Dr before starting supplements for the simple reason that what worked for others may not work - or even be suitable - for you.

Sunshine, apart from getting through withdrawal, have you thought how you'll stop drinking for good? any ideas on a plan?

D
Old 05-29-2017, 04:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. I do have a plan. I"m still not sure about AA but may go for at least 30 days. I'm technically back at day one. I had two beers Saturday and two last not. I did not want anymore either time. I was out with a friend (who doesn't really drink) but felt so bad I thought it might help. I didn't really enjoy them that much either. Yesterday however, I finally ate a real meal and I'm hungry this morning. That for me is progress. Today is the first day I plan to have no alcohol.

Yesterday when I got home I had no desire to drink and I really want to be sober this time. It's so unappealing at this point to be drunk and I want a real life I didn't sleep great last night but I slept fairly well. I sweated up a storm too so that is a really great sign I'm over the hump that I think is dangerous. I have a really busy week this week so I'm hoping that will keep me more than occupied. Hopefully in about four days I'll be feeling a bit better. That's about how long it took last time.

As soon as I have enough money I'll see my Doc. She's western/holistic medicine so she's great with the supplements and herbs. Until then, I'll just have to take what I think is good for me. I do have four friends that I can contact when I'm having issues and my family knows I don't want to drink anymore.

I am so glad I can eat again!!!!
Old 05-30-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It would be so easy to lie. I don't know any of you. But I'm a horrible liar so here goes. I'm going to be back on day 1 again tomorrow. Last night I allowed myself to drink in a family situation and made some bad choices. I felt bad all day so I broke down and bought some beer to ease it. I was going to take a nap at 5 and sleep off the beer (2 ) but of course I bought an extra one. Lord have mercy, why do I do this to myself!? It's now 6 pm and I see no point in napping.

My lil sis's wedding is this Saturday and I really want to be there for her. I want to shape up. It's strange though. She knows I have a problem with alcohol and has really supported me being sober but last night she wanted me to have "just one more." I only had 5 total btw over 8 hours. I'm really trying not to beat myself up but a little part of me is beating myself up. I think I felt bad today mostly from anxiety. It's just so easy to drink a beer and it flow away. I HATE anxiety. I have a lot of physical symptoms. They suck. They keep me awake. They make me miserable. My family makes me miserable too. Except my dad. He believes in me. He loves and cares for me. My Lord, I sound like a child.

I'm hoping to go to sleep early and be done with this. I'm so tired of being a slave to alcohol. Maybe I'll just sleep for an hour. Maybe I'll wake up and be groggy but be done. Maybe I'll be hungry. That would be nice.

Thank you for hanging in there with me. This is tough. More than tough...
Old 05-30-2017, 03:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Day 1 for me again

I take a b vitamin complex and also cod liver oil (apparently vitamin d is very important to the immune system)
I also take peppermint tea(eases stomach issues) and sleep easy tea- it really helps

Drinking a lot more water and trying to get the vegetables in.
All the best for day 2!
Old 05-30-2017, 03:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Valerian Tea, Chamomile Tea, Tulsi Tea all are great for calm and rest.

I took a multi B, ginseng for mental clarity, and fish oil. Also lots of water, fresh fruit, leafy green vegetables. Try to to indulge in a lot of sweets.

They all help, but time is the greatest healer. Be patient and know for a fact that it will get much better.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

It is tough to make different choices when your life and everyone in it is pretty geared to you being a drinking person.

But a drink for us doesn't mean the same thing as it does for other people.

A drink for most folks is done and finished...for us it's just the start...the beginning of what could be a one two day or even weeks long bender.

We have to remember that ... just as we have to remember it's the first drink thats starts the madness, not the last.

It is hard to accept we're different and always will be...and it's hard to walk to the beat of a different drum...but it's harder still to keep drinking like we do and try and manage a life.

The hardness of recovery is what support is for - and thats why we need to train ourselves to reach out for support when we need it, before we take that first drink.

Don't put off doing something about this...and don't just make declarations...take some action too.

Have you had my link about recovery plans before?

D
Old 05-30-2017, 05:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have Dee. Thank you. I slept for a good bit. An hour and forty minutes. I'm going to eat something and go back to sleep early. Honestly, my body is craving sleep. Tomorrow I need to put a plan in action. I'm tired and need to start doing something about it. Thank you for responding. I'm in a weird place this week. I could go back to sleep right now.