Notices

I'm so exhausted...

Old 05-23-2017, 10:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm so exhausted...

I had my last drink Sunday night. About a bottle and a half of wine that evening. So for me that didn't even result in that bad of a hang over the next day. But that's usually a sign for me, because when I go for even a few weeks without drinking, even one glass will usually give me a HUGE headache the next day. So I'm wondering two things:

1. how does tolerance build up that quickly? And what scientifically is going on that I would get SO hungover after abstinence, yet after a few days of consistently drinking I can drink a bottle or more of wine and not feel it the next day?

2. I've been utterly exhausted today and yesterday. I have back problems which is keeping me laid up, which doesn't help, but I'm utterly exhausted. Feel like I've drugged. Is this a typical reaction to detoxing?

Also, I poured out the tiny bottle of champagne I received as a gift yesterday. I was tired of thinking about it.

Any thoughts, suggestions, advice or even prayers very welcome today. As once I again, I just want to not drink today and start healing. :-)
Old 05-23-2017, 11:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I was physically exhausted when i stopped .

I'd been pushing my body a lot ignoring or blasting away with alcohol any physical or emotional feelings .

Drink water , eat as well as you can , if anything seems too amiss talk to a Dr , some people have strokes when giving up ..
Might be a good idea to see the Dr anyway as sometimes drinking messes up vitamin levels .

for me 3 days was worse than 3 weeks , 3 weeks worse than 3 months and so on ..
Think i slept 20 hours for about 6 weekends in a row at the beginning with occasional nights of no sleep ( chance to watch comedy films ) .

Stick with it sobriety is worthwhile
Old 05-23-2017, 01:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not sure I can answer 1 or 2, although I think if you're physically addicted to alcohol it would be best to seek medical advice to safely quit. I do know what you mean about building up a tolerance, in recent months I seems to be able to consume more and more booze without it having the same effect as before. I agree with Mecanix, drink plenty of water.

As for pouring out the champagne...well done! Yesterday you'd said you put it in the fridge, so that was a really good move.

We can do this, no booze today! Stay strong with me.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

doc
Old 05-23-2017, 03:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's probably a good idea to talk to your dr.

Also, you will find information by googling 'kindling' with regards to alcoholism.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Alcoholism is progressive and something that never reverses itself. People can go weeks, months, years, even decades, and after that first sip, it's right back to the same spot from where they stopped.
The negative effects will keep getting worse and worse every time, but the great thing is you never have to feel that way again, as long as you quit the drinking.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Gratitude Gardener

Hi NewLife!!

I am so happy to hear the news that you threw out that champagne. WAY TO GO.
To me, right now, it sounds like you are trucking and really determined, and I know how you feel because that exactly where I am. I hope to God I stay here!

For me this is Day 4, and I was absolutely useless today. So tired. I fell into a weird sleep in the middle of the day, and also had the first real feelings of depression and restless boredom (danger zone! Red Alert!).

I've tried the sobriety path before, and that was at a time in my life where I was drinking VERY heavily for my body weight (5'2 120 lbs). A bottle of wine at night after work, and beginning to drink tequila before going to work a night shift.

When I quit that time, I couldnt sleep for many days (I want to say WEEKS) and I had through the roof anxiety.

This time its a bit easier as far as the physical detox, but I am definitely tired, and today I did feel some definite detox ickiness with the fatigue.

I think the advice to see a doctor is good. But I don't think you should get freaked out too much about that advice (don't feed the anxiety monster ANYTHING). Youre most likely OKAY. Seeing a doctor, though, will probably add more weight to the sober foundation you are trying to create, and it may give you some really great guidance.

Stay with us. Really happy youre with me in early sobriety and we are doing this together <3

Lets continue to bolster one another, and to stay strong!
Old 05-23-2017, 04:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That first week is so tough. Sending prayers. You made a good decision to quit.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I felt exhausted a lot the first few weeks too.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hang in there, honey. It gets better.
Promise.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was exhausted the first two weeks and I am still pretty tired. I slept as much as I could. My body needed / needs to heal.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...lly-again.html

I was exhausted too - the effort for my body and mind to keep going under that many years of self abuse was phenomenal.

Give it a week or two

D
Old 05-25-2017, 06:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How are you doing today, NewLife?
It's raining here today so I can't do any planting or mulching.
I think I am making today an official jammie day.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Day 32 here and I'm still struggling with fatigue. As I type right now, I'm lying on the couch with so much to do but thinking about taking a nap. The good news is that it definitely gets easier. I am no longer obsessing over booze. Now if I could just get some energy, this would be great. Lol keep up the awesome job you're doing! It will get better!!!!
Old 05-25-2017, 10:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yikes! Day 32? I can't imagine 28 more days of this! Oy! I'm falling behind on my work. I'm a creative so there's no just going through the motions, I have to be a quick thinker and be super focused in order to get things done and move forward. Hopefully once my back is healed I can be more active and that will help. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 05-25-2017, 11:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

One foot in front of the other.
Peace.