Aggressively Positive

Old 05-22-2017, 05:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Wink Aggressively Positive

Aggressively positive
by Ralph Marston

Don’t wait for the challenges of this day to get you down. Rush out to meet them and gain the upper hand. If there’s something that’s been worrying you, stop worrying and start doing something about it.

Don’t limit your positive outlook to just the things that are already positive. Take a positive attitude toward it all. Decide that you’ll find the good in every situation, and indeed you will.

You can think. You can reason. You can make decisions. You can take action. You can overcome difficulties. You can follow your dreams. You can make the right choice. You can persist. You can make great things happen. So do it. It’s a whole lot better than sitting around and watching the world pass you by.

Problems? Sure you have problems. Challenges? They’re everywhere. The problems and challenges are what make life interesting. They’re what make achievements worth achieving.

You’re alive and living, so act like it. Be aggressively positive and you’ll be amazingly effective. Go out and make it the greatest day yet!

© 2001 Ralph S. Marston, Jr.
From The Daily Motivator website at The Daily Motivator - Aggressively positive
Old 05-22-2017, 05:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

We get to choose our state of mind. I can choose to live and think positive or shrink and cower in negativity.

There came a time in my recovery where I began to think of myself as a "survivor" and no longer as a "victim". What changed? Only my state of mind.

A favourite quote from Shawshank Redemption is "Get busy living or get busy dying". The difference? My state of mind.

To think and live a positive life I surround myself with nature, a beautiful sunrise is a good start to my day, birds singing as I walk by, the waves and breeze speak to me as I walk the shore and they tell my "all is well". They know.

I read positive, feel good books, I avoid tragedies and scary books and movies...I had enough "scary" for one lifetime already.

I hang with positive people and don't give much thought or time to those who live negative lives. Those who need my help or who are living sorrowful times are not who I speak of when I speak of negativity, it's the gossipers, the nit pickers, the chronic complainers who don't even know they are doing it and wouldn't know what to do with a "good day".

Try it, take one day and be mindful of your state of mind. No matter what is happening around you, try very hard to think positive.

No bad day is too hard for this. My husband and I were both diagnosed with cancer in the same month, the worst month of my life, and a long couple of years before we got to be okay like we are today. Friends often ask "How did you do it?" My answer is faith led me and my mind followed. I thought positive and even through treatment knew that better days were ahead. If not, I would deal with it then.

If I can do it, you can do it. Try...for one day...and maybe share with us how it worked for you.

Hugs
Old 05-23-2017, 09:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As usual Ann, your post hits home and provides immediate comfort! Thank you so very much. I am working on mindfulness and faith led actions.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good thread, Ann.

Originally Posted by Ann View Post

Don’t wait for the challenges of this day to get you down. Rush out to meet them and gain the upper hand. If there’s something that’s been worrying you, stop worrying and start doing something about it.
Message in that particular paragraph - my focus at this time - it gets a little easier every day.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes ANN. thanks. The thing is for me- I never stop worrying..If I climbed K2, I would think I was a failure for not conquering Everest....
So it is get on and do it ANYWAY, EVEN if I cannot stop worrying.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'm glad it inspires you all as much as it inspires me.

Back in the day, before recovery really kicked in, I spent so much time and energy chasing my son and the dream of saving him from himself. I lost energy living in fear and hiding from myself. It was exhausting.

In recovery, if i use just a tenth of that energy to focus on positive things, my life becomes better, happier and filled with joy even on the bad days.

Often, when I am having a bad day....car won't start or traffic is bad or an unexpected bill comes in the mail or everyone just seems to be in a bad mood all around me...I tell myself "If this is as bad as my day gets, thank you God!" and I keep going, grateful not to be floored by the small stuff.

It's about mindfulness, noticing how we are feeling and learning to "snap out of it" as soon as we can. Positive thoughts are the key to changing our day, right then and there. It takes practice but it is worth the exercise.

Hugs
Old 05-24-2017, 09:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Love this ""If this is as bad as my day gets, thank you God!". I have been waking up lately with a thank you to God for feeling ready and happy to take on the day. I am working on being the best version of me. Some old habits have been creeping in lately (obsessing about JJ when there is no reason). I think in a way that codependents also have AV (addictive voices) which are the whispers of fear doubt and angst about our loved ones. Anyhoo, LOVING this phrase and as always God brings the perfect message at the perfect time.
Hugs to you Ann and all of the SR family!
Old 05-25-2017, 01:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ilovemysonjj View Post
Love this ""If this is as bad as my day gets, thank you God!".
Yes - me, too.

At the end of a trying day and once I've regrouped, I then focus on the idea that "tomorrow will be a better day." It helps
Old 05-25-2017, 04:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I find that. Example- last night by an accidental 'thanks' posted on a share I done on my home page- I found a link to MY home- well 30% mine now. I followed it. My son who does not talk to me since the burns thing is running a business from there, has a new job where my ex is a senior manager and probably living there. I have 1 plate, 1 cup, 1 spoon blah. I found myself feeling devastated- but after doing mindful stuff, a shower, food (and a fag) coffee and an hour to calm down- I reminded myself of what I have to be thankful for. Being very basic my first thanks is 'being alive'. Good thread.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by Ilovemysonjj
I think in a way that codependents also have AV (addictive voices) which are the whispers of fear doubt and angst about our loved ones.
I'm pretty sure you're right. I'm not sure when it started but there came a time when the "couldas, wouldas, shouldas and what if's" had taken over my mind and evicting them did not come easy. Fear blocked the door each time I tried. I finally allowed my "recovery voice" to speak louder than any of them and it replied "DON'T LOOK BACK, YOU'RE NOT GOING THERE!!" and soon they moved out on their own, just packed up and vacated without leaving a note.

Anaya, I like knowing that tomorrow brings its own blessings too. A phrase I use often is "The difference between a bad day and a good day is usually about two days". Bad days don't last forever and in hindsight, they often leave us a strangely wrapped gift...a lesson or knowledge or a sense of endurance that we may not have known if all our days were good.

PJ, I remember a time when money was short and we had to make do with $5/day for several weeks. That was after rent so at least we had a roof over our head, but we learned that carrots, potatoes an onion and one chicken could make enough stew and soup for a week. I always maintain that if you know how to survive poor, the rest will feel like blessings when life gets better again. Your life may be lacking the material things right now, but you are spiritually richer, wiser and healthier than you were back in the days when you had "more". Trust life, it will lead you to new beginnings and better days ahead. You know how to feel gratitude, that will feed you on the hungrier days.

It's an all day rain here today. A good day to read and ponder and organize all the "stuff" that gets left when the sun shines. That's called balance and it keeps me on a positive path too.

I am glad you all are participating in this, I learn from you and we learn from each other and most of all, we go away from this thread feeling just a little more positive than when we arrived.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Old 05-25-2017, 05:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well actually Ann- now I am VERY grateful to eat well. I cook good food and freeze meals. A year ago I was living off church free bread (toast) and cheap sausages. My burns graft dressing on my elbow leaked- and was extorted hundreds at this time for new mattress, bedding- or eviction. That was a poverty experienced as I want to be. My room was robbed 4 times, so safe is a biggie thanks. Spirituality comes with safety sometimes.