Notices

Would've been a year.....

Old 05-14-2017, 12:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Would've been a year.....

Hello everyone,

I love that I can say the past 365 days have been a great journey in my sobriety. I had one slip up back in January that last less than a day. I held on to a resentment and got a case of the f-its. One thing I learned that day was that after that first drink I knew I didn't want it. That day I can easily feel regret, but I learned from it. I learned I love my life in recovery, and never want to go back to being the shell of myself that I was. I would've had a year May 7th this year, but I'm still very much proud that I've only had the one slip up. I've been able to share my journey with many of you on here who know my story, and the trail of mess that was left behind that I'm still cleaning up. Life is good though. I'm happier, less angry, easier to be around and not taking life for granted. I'm able to feel what I wasn't feeling and let go of the past that was haunting me. I moved on from situations that fueled my drinking. It's amazing the wonderful things that can happen in only a year.

I owe a lot to this site and everyone I've interacted with over the years.

For those of you still struggling ....if a wild and crazy alcoholic like myself can turn his life around there is hope for everyone. I hope this can bring some encouragement to anyone and everyone feeling like they can't do it. Don't listen to the lies. It can be done.

Stay the course.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good on you! A year is fantastic.

Good on you also for owning the slip up. You have had a year of being clean save for that one day, and you have obviously reaped the benefits.

I have also realised I don't need the drink and once you realise that, the days, months etc. don't really mean anything. The key thing is you have your freedom back and have your whole life to enjoy it and make it count.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A year is a year is a year. I wouldnt count the one day slip up. The other 364 are the ones that count. Everyone makes small mistakes in life, it doesnt mean we should give up in our successes. Its these that keep us going.
Fantastic job on you year, feel proud.
SB
Old 05-14-2017, 01:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree a year is a year.

Well done. Be proud of yourself. Head held high please!
Old 05-14-2017, 02:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to hear from you getitright.
You're in a far better place than you were a year ago, and thats a good thing, man

D
Old 05-14-2017, 03:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wonderful!!

Keep at it.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Amazing well done
Old 05-14-2017, 04:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Fantastic! Like you said, it's amazing the wonderful things that can happen
Old 05-14-2017, 06:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SummerBee View Post
A year is a year is a year. I wouldnt count the one day slip up. The other 364 are the ones that count. Everyone makes small mistakes in life, it doesnt mean we should give up in our successes. Its these that keep us going.
SB

Glad you are here - I respectfully disagree with the one day not counting, and look forward to hearing about your new year. "Slip up" should not be a phrase in our vocabulary- glad you DID make it back this time, and can hopefully learn from WHY you drank and relapsed, and move forward so that every year has 365 (or 366!) sober days.

See you soon.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

amazing! you are doing great. I think it is awesome the slip up was less then a day. I think it shows real change that you didn't let it go any further.

Old 05-14-2017, 11:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's 364 - 1.

That's success, especially if you were a daily drinker before.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations, getright! That is an accomplishment to aim for, bump or not!
Old 05-14-2017, 12:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SummerBee View Post
SB
I totally agree with this!

A year is a year and you've done a great job!!!!! Congrats!
Old 05-14-2017, 12:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

glad ya made it back!
and very glad to read your honesty .

imo, tryin to act like it didnt happen and to keep countin it as ya have a year would be like me sayin i only smoked crack a few times over the years and they were only one night flings, but im still clean and sober 12 years. pretty nuts when i read that.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Awesome job Getright and great, positive post! You're right - sobriety is attainable for every single person out there, no matter how bad they might think their situation is!
Old 05-15-2017, 12:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I appreciate the support so much from everyone on here! It's been great to have such a feeling of freedom, and no longer in the shackles of drinking.

I thank everyone for their kind words, and the feeling of continued hope.

I never thought this would be me talking this way. AA has completely changed my life and the life of my family. I wish great success to everyone in recovery as its progress not perfection.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

No kidding Dee. Last yr at this point I was concerned about how to keep my behind out of jail and what to do about keeping my job. I'm happy to be able to write about the message and not the mess.

Thank you Dee for always encouraging me during my dark days. I'm able to pass that on to other addicts I interact with as well. My sponsor and especially my grandsponsor are by the book. Reach out to new comers as there is always someone in need who is suffering what we've all been through and/or currently going through.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm glad to hear from you getitright.
You're in a far better place than you were a year ago, and thats a good thing, man

D