Notices

seizures

Old 05-10-2017, 05:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

seizures

Hi. I have a 30 year old son who had been binge drinking all of this past year. After a few weeks of no eating and drinking he decided to stop, within a few days the DT's hit, and then he had a seizure. Was in the hospital for 10 days. The last few were due to an infection he got from IV. Best care there you could imagine. Hospital did every test imaginable. Anyway he came to my house and been here for a few weeks. Goes to AA Meetings daily and really likes them. He was in a state which doesn't report seizures to DMV. He has gained 15 pounds, sleeps well, and rides bike to meetings. The only prescription the doctors gave him were to finish his antibiotics. He is getting to the point where he wants to drive again. Is that a risk? Is there still a chance of another seizure even when not drinking? At some point he needs to go back to working, etc. He car is still in the other state where he lived, and I don't know whether it is the right thing for me to drive him there to get it. Has anyone had seizures after weeks or months of sobriety? Thanks for any feedback.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR Caro
Old 05-10-2017, 06:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would say that's a question for his doctors.

On a practical level, I would not drive him to get it until he gets medical clearance.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Caro

Like Bim said thats really a question for his doctors. None of us could hope to answer that here.

I'd like some kind of medical clearance or guarantee - its bizarre your state doesn't require that.

D
Old 05-10-2017, 07:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My friend did...for the first 7-8 months after getting sober. It's not unheard of
Old 05-10-2017, 08:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to Sr Caro.
I agree with bim and dee.
In my area people who have had seizures get their license pulled or restricted for a period until they are cleared by medical.
Did the medical team in fact know that he had had a seizure?
Old 05-10-2017, 11:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Another vote for this would be something to run past his doc to make sure he has the medical OK to drive again. Though one thing is for sure that if he drinks again, he's very likely to have another seizure (or worse) and end up right back in the hospital.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes the medical team knew he had a seizure. They did EKGs, cat scans, liver, kidney tests, etc etc. Everything checked out good. They did tests when admitted and then again before released. The doctor told him he didn't think he would unless he started drinking again. That is why they didn't prescribe any seizure meds. But he said also there is a 2% chance.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, Caro. Welcome. My sib had a withdrawal-related seizure that sounds much like your son's experience.
Tests run, etc. nothing came up.
Docs said the same thing: don't drink anymore and you will be fine.
He still drinks, though no more seizures.
I think that if he stopped abruptly--not likely--he runs the risk of another withdrawal related seizure.
In my sib's case, it isn't the drinking, it's the lack thereof that puts him at risk.
which is really sad.
Good luck. Peace.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bunny211 View Post
My friend did...for the first 7-8 months after getting sober. It's not unheard of
I too got seizures in the first months of sobriety. It wasn't until probably 5 mo, maybe 4, that I was comfortable trying to drive (my spatial relationship took quite awhile to come back). Dr advice and directive would be best here- and as with everything else in my life, everything I do needs to support both my sobriety and my safety.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is what (above) has me worried. He looks the best I have seen him look in years. He has gained all his weight back. He has been moving forward and taking care of all his financial/personal problems step by step. He seems optimistic about his life. He rides the bike every day to AA Meetings. Both my husband and I have to work. What if he has a seizure out of the blue when we are not at home? They said at hospital it was a withdrawal seizure. But if they can still happen months later? Are there any signs I should look for? ugh
Old 05-11-2017, 07:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

His seizure was due to sudden withdrawal from alcohol. I experienced three seizures at the age of 28 under the same condition as your son. During my 10 day hospital stay and the first week of rehab I was on Dilantin. My understanding is the seizure risk is basically non-existent after a couple of weeks. I never went through the dt's again and never had another seizure.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You can have him speak with the people at AA, it's pretty common for others to give rides to meetings.