Notices

Naltrezone

Old 03-27-2017, 05:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Naltrezone

I had my first meeting with the therapist today. He prescribed Naltrezone. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Overall a good day. I'm glad that the first therapy session is behind us and I'm looking forward to making progress. I'm thankful because the last few days haven't been great. I've been feeling a bit dull, nothing major...just a little off. Memories (nightmares) from the past kept popping in my head, things I haven't thought about in a long time and my cravings seemed to amp up as well.

Luckily, today the cloud lifted and I feel back on track. Whew!
Old 03-27-2017, 08:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I took Naltrexone for a few months and it helped a lot with cravings at the beginning. After a while, it did seem to lose it's effectiveness and I stopped taking it. I am thinking of trying it again as it's been a while since I have taken it. I hope it works for you.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

No experience myself sorry - but others here have ysed it

D
Old 03-27-2017, 09:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by emme99 View Post
I took Naltrexone for a few months and it helped a lot with cravings at the beginning. After a while, it did seem to lose it's effectiveness and I stopped taking it. I am thinking of trying it again as it's been a while since I have taken it. I hope it works for you.
Thanks Emme. Just started taking it tonight. Did you ever relapse while taking it? From what I've read, many have had major success. I'll let you know once I've been using it for a while.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
No experience myself sorry - but others here have ysed it

D
Thanks for the feedback D!
Old 03-27-2017, 10:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
LoveHateMerlot

Keep us posted CreativeThinker! I'm so curious to see how helpful it can be! Hopefully it does help! xoxoxo
Old 03-27-2017, 11:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CreativeThinker View Post
Thanks Emme. Just started taking it tonight. Did you ever relapse while taking it? From what I've read, many have had major success. I'll let you know once I've been using it for a while.
For the first couple of months I was taking it, I did not relapse. Sometime after that, I did, and that is probably (my guess) when it began to lose it's effectiveness. I remember it working pretty quickly once I started taking it, I hope it helps
Old 03-28-2017, 05:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by emme99 View Post
For the first couple of months I was taking it, I did not relapse. Sometime after that, I did, and that is probably (my guess) when it began to lose it's effectiveness. I remember it working pretty quickly once I started taking it, I hope it helps
Thanks again Emme. I'll try anything to avoid another relapse! Seeing doc again in 30 days. By then I should be able to determine if it is going to be helpful.

Make it a great day!
Old 03-28-2017, 08:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah I took it a few times and relapsed each time. It did not work for me. But everyone's journey is different.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveHateMerlot View Post
Keep us posted CreativeThinker! I'm so curious to see how helpful it can be! Hopefully it does help! xoxoxo
Hey LHM- How are you? It's been less than one day, but I've noticed that I'm not obsessing about my cravings as I was. Every other minute I was thinking..."OMG, I haven't had a drink in 33 days...I MUST NOT RELAPSE!" Who knows, maybe I'm just telling myself that I'm not having cravings because I'm taking it It's very subtle, not like an end all be all kind of feeling of "I know I will never drink again"...KWIM?

If I relapse, we'll all know for sure...right?
Old 03-28-2017, 02:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bunny211 View Post
Yeah I took it a few times and relapsed each time. It did not work for me. But everyone's journey is different.
YIKES, I didn't want to hear that

It didn't help you at all??? How long were you on it before you relapsed Bunny? Why did you take it a second time if it didn't work the first time you tried it?

I certainly don't want to relapse again! Don't worry, I'm still in the drivers seat and my guard will continue to be up!

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 03-28-2017, 09:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
LoveHateMerlot

Originally Posted by CreativeThinker View Post
Hey LHM- How are you? It's been less than one day, but I've noticed that I'm not obsessing about my cravings as I was. Every other minute I was thinking..."OMG, I haven't had a drink in 33 days...I MUST NOT RELAPSE!" Who knows, maybe I'm just telling myself that I'm not having cravings because I'm taking it It's very subtle, not like an end all be all kind of feeling of "I know I will never drink again"...KWIM?

If I relapse, we'll all know for sure...right?
That is so great to hear, CreativeThinker! I had a crappy day today! I didn't obsess as much as the first week, but I definitely wanted to pick some wine up tonight. Who's kidding, I wanted to get hammered, forget about all the bad stuff around me. Anyways it's nice to know that if I did need the help, it's helping you, and always an option. Good to hear from you, CreativeThinker! Great job over a month!! Very exciting! xoxoxoxoxo
Old 03-31-2017, 02:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveHateMerlot View Post
That is so great to hear, CreativeThinker! I had a crappy day today! I didn't obsess as much as the first week, but I definitely wanted to pick some wine up tonight. Who's kidding, I wanted to get hammered, forget about all the bad stuff around me. Anyways it's nice to know that if I did need the help, it's helping you, and always an option. Good to hear from you, CreativeThinker! Great job over a month!! Very exciting! xoxoxoxoxo
Thanks for the support Love. It's been a few days now and I do think that it's working. I still have cravings, but they're fleeting thoughts now, rather than a constant obsession.

Don't you hate those moments when AV pops up and says "just one"? Ugh...it creep up when you least expect it. Great job on moving through the thought. Someone suggested here on SR to talk to the AV when the thought sneaks up and say "No, I don't drink anymore" I haven't tried it yet but I'm going to. I'll try any tactic to stay sober. KWIM?

Hang in there...you're doing a great job!