Notices

Mind, Body, Spirit

Old 03-30-2017, 12:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mind, Body, Spirit

I'm at the very start of the healing process. The drinking urge has mostly stopped but now the hard part (for me) is beginning.

I am a fan but by no means an expert on Eastern philosophy. I see no conflict between Eastern philosophy and my own Judaeo - Christian upbringing. I believe for me to be whole I must address all three parts Mind, Body, and Spirit.

I am curious as to some of the approaches that some of the more seasoned members have used to fill in the holes that alcohol creates in these building blocks. To repair what we have broken. To fill that gap in between physical dependence and lifelong independence.

Mind - I'm thinking clear and SR has really helped over the last few days. It is great to get wisdom from some of you that "Got the T-shirt" as one of you said. I'm putting together a game plan going forward. You know "Plan the work, work the plan" is my mentality. But I still feel I'm missing something.

Body - As a former US Marine this one comes to me like oxygen. But I am sure there are others who could use some advise on this one. Some may unfortunately have some medical issues, some may have never tried to help their body in their life. How do you approach a healthy lifestyle? Diet, nutrition, exercise...

Spirit - I have nothing to offer here. I'm still working on the first two. It is gratifying however to help some of those new to sobriety get through those first weeks since the memories are still etched into my brain. Humility is the first step. Any help on the next?
Old 03-30-2017, 12:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
All is Change

I agree there should be no conflict in any bodys mind. There often is caution when new and apparently contradictory or threatening thought are presented but an open and honest approach will show that there is nothing to be concerned about.

I found Arthur Janov's Primal Therapy, the concept of a Primal Pain and cellular memory very helpful. It led me to Vipassana Meditation as taught by the Buddha and taught today by the organisation that SN Goenka set up to teach Vipassana. This filled the gap for me but I still had to exist in the real world and for that I found traditional structures indispensible. For example AA.

"But I still feel I'm missing something." - while I don't know what you are missing I can say something about feeling there is something missed. There are basically three fields the mind wanders through. The past, the future and the present. ( obviously the present is the undiscovered country for most. ) In these fields there are basically three types of experiences. Pleasant, unpleasant and neutral. With these three experiences there are three types of relationships we have. Craving, aversion and equanimity. Reaction ( suppression or expression ) or Non-reaction ( the middle path ). There are basically two results. Misery or Liberation. Equanimity when facing neutral sensations is the same as wisdom when facing ignorance. There is the answer. When faced with something unknown an equanimous study of the unknown will lead to a knowlede of the unknown. This is wisdom in action. The unknown is merely a toool to be used to increase wisdom. As you are.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Incredibly I understood that. Thank you Grymt.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alan6154 View Post
I'm at the very start of the healing process. The drinking urge has mostly stopped but now the hard part (for me) is beginning.
Congratulations on getting to this point and starting on your healing journey.

I am a fan but by no means an expert on Eastern philosophy. I see no conflict between Eastern philosophy and my own Judaeo - Christian upbringing. I believe for me to be whole I must address all three parts Mind, Body, and Spirit.
My experience is from AA. I go to meetings which are solution-focused using the big book as an instruction book with a teacher who guided me how to follow the instructions.

Yes this is a mind, body, spirit disease but that does that mean it has to be Eastern philosophy-based. It can be, if you want it to. But it can be Judeo-Christian too if you want.

Do you believe there is something bigger out there than yourself? Great. That's all you need to get started. Doesn't matter if it's God, a Christian God, a Jewish God, Jesus, Buddha, Allah, Mother Nature, The Great Spirit, Something you can't even name. Just that there's something bigger and it's not you.

I am curious as to some of the approaches that some of the more seasoned members have used to fill in the holes that alcohol creates in these building blocks. To repair what we have broken. To fill that gap in between physical dependence and lifelong independence.
What worked for me was understanding that this was a problem that nothing external could solve. It's an internal solution. I worked the 12 steps out of the big book of Alcoholics Anonymous which led to a spiritual awakening,-in other words, a connection with the God of my understanding.

Mind - I'm thinking clear and SR has really helped over the last few days. It is great to get wisdom from some of you that "Got the T-shirt" as one of you said. I'm putting together a game plan going forward. You know "Plan the work, work the plan" is my mentality. But I still feel I'm missing something.
That's great that removing alcohol is helping you think clearly. I found that the step work helped me see where my thinking and actions--drunk or sober--messed up my life.

Body - As a former US Marine this one comes to me like oxygen. But I am sure there are others who could use some advise on this one. Some may unfortunately have some medical issues, some may have never tried to help their body in their life. How do you approach a healthy lifestyle? Diet, nutrition, exercise...
Thank you for your service!

I do find that nutrition and exercise have been a helpful part of my sobriety, especially with the science that exists with how it can help both the mind and the body. However, it's not a solution to my alcoholism.

Personally I keep things simple. Walking and light weights, yoga, and eating a simple healthy diet of vegetables, a little animal protein, a little fruit, whole grains, and treats in moderation so I'm not too extreme.

Spirit - I have nothing to offer here. I'm still working on the first two. It is gratifying however to help some of those new to sobriety get through those first weeks since the memories are still etched into my brain. Humility is the first step. Any help on the next?
Spirit - I used to over complicate this a lot. Now I see it's just my connection with God. Start out by paying attention to that "still small voice within"--that's spirit.

The fact that you get humility being the first step is inspiring. You're on your way. You asked for help on the next? Choose a recovery method and begin.

Best wishes to you on your healing journey.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm fascinated with this as well. I never took the time to recognize that the way I felt, or reacted to situations were a result of my mindset. Through meditation I am becoming more in touch with myself. I don't blame as much or get angry over trivial instances.

Hopefully this thread gets some good suggestions on overall growth
Old 03-30-2017, 03:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I believe this not just about quitting drinking but building a new life, new coping mechanisms, and all areas must be addressed: Internal self- what are you doing for mental and spiritual healt? I do yoga, meditation (small and simple is fine!) helps you rebuild neural pathways that alcohol destroyed, journaling. External self- excercise, nutrition. Relationships/social life: what do you do for fun, maintaining and nurturing your relationships and hobbies. Finally, your external life- home, job, finances. Making sure those areas are in order and make you happy. I have no link but I learned about this in a recovery class, the four quadrant map. You can make your own map and add what is important to you in each area. Actively working all these areas will bring you holistic recovery.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
waking down

Lawrence Peltz's The Mindful Path to Addiction Recovery led me (back) to Shambhala practice which is similar to Goenke's Vipassana. I recommend the book, and if there is a Shambhala center near you they usually have free introductory instruction without committing to a ten day retreat. You might also look into Refuge Recovery (search Noah Levine). Welcome!
Old 03-30-2017, 09:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your comments. Perhaps I need to try the AA meeting thing again. I will try one at a different time and different location. The one I attended was filled with chain smoking caffeine addicts and court appointees who looked and acted (by body language) like they would rather be anywhere else. Checking their watch every 30 seconds. It made me uncomfortable. Don't get me wrong I wasn't embarrassed, better men then me (and women) have worked out this issue. And I'm not socially awkward it just wasn't my seen. It actually pissed me off, I was there for help, wisdom, support, call it what you will. But, from reading some of your post I realize there are serious people in the program, I just need to find them.

As I read post from some that are in their first few weeks I keep seeing them asking for advise on getting through. The magic phrase or secret word of others that have already done it that makes it easier. Coming up on four months I know that the first phase is just will power. Flipping that switch in the brain and committing. I guess I tried in my own way to do the same by researching, reading, etc.. I tried to outsmart something that can't be outsmarted, reasoned with, negotiated with, or compromised with. That was new and humbling to my ego. I'm sure I'm not alone on that feeling.

I gave someone the advise on another thread that "Sobriety is not the destination, it is where you need to get to before you can start the journey" I believe that and I believe I am just starting my journey. I guess at this point I am looking for a good compass.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not much of a philosopher, but early on it became apparent to me I was trying to control my recovery in the same way I tried to control my addiction or my emotions....

I gained a lot by simply letting go of the outcome and seeing where recovery led me.

D
Old 03-30-2017, 09:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

To me? Mind/body/spirit (whatever) have to all be approached the same way. With the aim to heal.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alan6154 View Post
Thank you all for your comments. Perhaps I need to try the AA meeting thing again. I will try one at a different time and different location. The one I attended was filled with chain smoking caffeine addicts and court appointees who looked and acted (by body language) like they would rather be anywhere else. Checking their watch every 30 seconds. It made me uncomfortable.
See if you could find a big book meeting or a step meeting. Try to avoid the open discussion meetings. Also, meetings in the evening or very early in the morning tend to be a little better. Ask around. Tell people what kind of meeting you're looking for. My home group is nothing like what you described.

Don't get me wrong I wasn't embarrassed, better men then me (and women) have worked out this issue. And I'm not socially awkward it just wasn't my seen. It actually pissed me off, I was there for help, wisdom, support, call it what you will. But, from reading some of your post I realize there are serious people in the program, I just need to find them.
There are, you just have to keep searching out different meetings to find them.....

As I read post from some that are in their first few weeks I keep seeing them asking for advise on getting through. The magic phrase or secret word of others that have already done it that makes it easier. Coming up on four months I know that the first phase is just will power. Flipping that switch in the brain and committing. I guess I tried in my own way to do the same by researching, reading, etc.. I tried to outsmart something that can't be outsmarted, reasoned with, negotiated with, or compromised with. That was new and humbling to my ego. I'm sure I'm not alone on that feeling.
You're so fortunate to see this so early on. In my experience and experience of people I know, the disease of addiction is stronger than any amount of willpower...even a marine's.

I gave someone the advise on another thread that "Sobriety is not the destination, it is where you need to get to before you can start the journey" I believe that and I believe I am just starting my journey. I guess at this point I am looking for a good compass.
So well said. Putting down the drink or whatever is abstinence/sobriety. But recovery involves so much more. Putting down the drink is the beginning...

Good luck as you search for your compass.