Notices

sometimes

Old 03-16-2017, 07:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

sometimes

Sometimes I miss that emotional touch. The AA jargon or SR support just doesn't do it. Sometimes a real pat on the back would mean more than that. That would do more to my drinking than anything. I am lucky that I get to talk to people at the gym and occasionally at work. That's more than a lot of people, but that's just superficial. Just don't know what to say. Like most people, just want someone who cares. John
Old 03-16-2017, 07:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I understand. To quote the lyrics of the song, Copernicus, by the female vocalist, Basia:

"People want to love and be loved"
Old 03-16-2017, 08:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you can find that John.

I'm pretty sure I've shared this, but I'll do it again...

I'm a big believer in putting out into the universe what you want back from it.

That's pretty simple - but the trick is to have both patience and faith that it's the right thing to do, even tho it may not look as tho anything much is changing, or not changing as fast as we like.

I have faith in your ability to find your niche John - you seem like a nice intelligent and caring guy.

If you let people see that, naturally and without thinking too much about reciprocation, it may just lead somewhere

D
Old 03-16-2017, 08:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

support.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Loneliness is very hard. Have you considered online dating sites?
Old 03-17-2017, 08:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberNunn View Post
Loneliness is very hard. Have you considered online dating sites?
Yeah, I did the dating sites a long time ago but it didn't work out very well. Actually I'm a pretty independent person and being a pretty old guy, I'm kinda so so on this sort of thing, although I'm open to any possibilities. It just would be nice to have people to just hang with. A long time ago, I had several friends and do a lot of stuff with them; but at the same time, I had plenty of time to be alone and just do my own thing.
I just recently moved outside the city and the people here seem much more laid back and friendly. I've already gotten more hi's this past month than a full year where I used to live so who knows.
I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining. I have it made compared to many people. I work when and where I want. Most of my income comes from social security and a pension. I have almost no bills and live in a nice apartment. My health is great. I have free membership at a gym due to my health insurance. But like I've heard many times before; having healthy personal connections is not only a good thing, it's essential to having a healthy life. A while ago, I ended up in an ER cause I burned myself real bad due to being drunk and spilling a crockpot of hot meat on me. The doctor wanted to give me a sedative to help with the pain of cleaning up the burns, but I would need someone to come and get me since I would be kinda out of it. She couldn't believe I had nobody to do this. Talk about feeling alone. John
Old 03-17-2017, 08:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Have you ever considered joining one of those meet up groups? You can pick and choose what you want to do based on your interests. I know a few people who have done them, I've been considering it myself since I don't have any sober friends. I've only heard good things about it. Then you can get out and do something that interests you without any of the awkwardness of it being a date or something, and still get to meet new people with the same interests as you.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
Have you ever considered joining one of those meet up groups? You can pick and choose what you want to do based on your interests. I know a few people who have done them, I've been considering it myself since I don't have any sober friends. I've only heard good things about it. Then you can get out and do something that interests you without any of the awkwardness of it being a date or something, and still get to meet new people with the same interests as you.
This is probably gonna seem like a lame excuse, but I have looked up meetups and they require a photo to be attached to your profile and I don't know how to do that. But now that you brought it up, I'll check again and maybe there is a phone number that I can call to talk to somebody about this. John
Old 03-17-2017, 09:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
This is probably gonna seem like a lame excuse, but I have looked up meetups and they require a photo to be attached to your profile and I don't know how to do that. But now that you brought it up, I'll check again and maybe there is a phone number that I can call to talk to somebody about this. John
I mean; how do you take a picture of yourself then somehow have that posted on a website? Young people might find this funny, but for me it's mind boggling. I mean, it took me years before I finally broke down and bought a cell phone. To this day, I don't understand why anybody buys a phone to do anything but to call people and get calls. I just recently figured out how to message people LOL. I mean, why bother with apps? John
Old 03-17-2017, 09:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Now what?

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
This is probably gonna seem like a lame excuse, but I have looked up meetups and they require a photo to be attached to your profile and I don't know how to do that. John
Hi John,

I have a meetup account and I don't use a photo.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey John,
I'm in my mid fifties so I'll tell you how I get a picture posted. First you take a picture with your phone. Next I email the picture from my phone to my computer. Then I just copy and paste the picture to where ever I need it. There is probably a better way to do it and the young people are probably laughing but it works for me.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I hope you find what you're looking for John.

I think everyone wants people that care in a way that means something!!