obstacle

Old 11-23-2001, 04:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
cindy

obstacle

I have found that I am the obstacle to my partners drinking, therefore she treats me badly. Of couse she then regrets it after the fact, and says shes sorry and that she wants to quit drinking. But shes been saying this for a very long time. Does this seem to be a common problem?

Old 11-23-2001, 05:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Cindy.
Welcome to the forum!
If you read through the posts on this page, and on naranon, you'll see that you have a pretty common problem. An addict will resent anything that gets between them and their substance of choice. They have a real physical condition that makes them crave the substance above all else.
Your partner probably is sorry. She also probably won't quit drinking without some help. If she's serious about quitting she needs to check into a detox center. I have a feeling Pernell will be along soon to tell you how to find one in your area. After that she needs counseling and/or AA.
Please remember that nothing you did made her start drinking, and nothing you can do will make her stop. You can get information for her, but you can't make her use it. Only if SHE is serious about quitting will it do any good.
For YOU, I would suggest joining an alanon group. Sometimes we don't even realize how crazy our loved one's addiction is making us.

Thanks for joining us. Keep posting!

Smoke
Old 11-23-2001, 06:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cindy welcome to the recovery forum. listen, I can not make better suggestions than the ones that Smoke has given you. But if you think detox will help you, I have one here that is close to you.

DRD Kansas City Medical Clinic
723 East 18th Street
Kansas City, MO
816-283-3877

Just for Today-----I am Sober--an I Pray
Old 11-23-2001, 07:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Told'ja. He's kind of spooky, isn't he?
Smoke
Old 11-24-2001, 08:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
cindy

thank you so much, for the detox info. I have wondered if that would be something to try. I have also looked into alanon for myself. cindy