This Is Us- All Caught Up- Spoiler Alert Warning

Old 03-13-2017, 10:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This Is Us- All Caught Up- Spoiler Alert Warning

one hundred percent how I feel about it seeker! I thought- come on people- don't give us a fairy tale- oh i will quit drinking just because I decided to- and the entire family will live happily ever after!! I was trying to write the writers/producers and say- don't you dare!!! i have an idea- why don't we have one thread for this is us- no spoilers- and this is us- all caught up- would love to discuss it further- but don't want to be a spoiler!
Old 03-13-2017, 10:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Even DD12 has picked up on the way they are alluding back to addiction all the time. Randall's breakdown nearly broke ME, omgosh! Between his over-functioning & Kate's eating disorder I can completely relate to their struggles.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i like how they showed Randall's Dad actually in recovery and being a kind. loving, humble, giving person.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

And it'll be interesting for them to come to realize how she judged his bio dad for being a junkie all the while living with active alcoholism right in their home, right under their noses, affecting each of them every day, but masquerading as "High Functioning".

It really shows how this issue is anything but straightforward & how it's so full of stigma & personal judgment.

Jack reminds me A LOT of my own dad - I'm sure the 80's setting only compounds that feeling since it seems that their timeline isn't so far off from my own life story.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

OMG- I never thought about that- I lived with high functioning over 3 decades- and I am totally judgmental- not proud of it! I mean I am not proud of being judgmental- guess I could work on that!
Old 03-13-2017, 06:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by qtpi View Post
i like how they showed Randall's Dad actually in recovery and being a kind. loving, humble, giving person.
Wow, I never even put that together! His real dad was in recovery and Jack and Rebecca were in denial! Adds another layer to the guilt she must feel.