Notices

Campral

Old 03-05-2017, 06:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Campral

My doc gave me a script for Campral. It's supposed to take the edge off cravings. I'm going to start it tomorrow. Can anyone offer any experience. My doc said it will help curb cravings. My only concern is I feel my cravings are completely mental (strong AV ) not physical.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Here's one of the threads we have on Campral:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...al-advice.html
Old 03-05-2017, 10:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had a good experience with Campral. I still take it as it is supposed to help repair damage in the brain and get things working properly again. The thing to remember is that there is no magic pill when it comes to alcoholism. The medication does lesson the intensity and frequency of cravings but does not make them go away completely. So you need to have a plan in place to deal with them when they do come.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Meow

This is my experience as well. I've been taking it a little over a month. The hardest part is remembering to take it 3x a day.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. How long after your last drink did you start taking it. I had a few sips of wine last night before pouring it down the sink so I think I need to wait a few days
Old 03-06-2017, 02:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

You would need to ask the dr who gave you the prescription for it, but I don't think you should take it when you've been drinking. We can't give any kind of medical advice here.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lasted 3 days on it....hated it. Nausea.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi SuperNunn, I take campral (4 weeks now I think) and find it greatly helps, if I miss any of my tablet doses I notice my brain-fog gets worse, you should start it as per instructions on the leaflet, also it says to be used along with a support plan in place etc. Its a bit expensive but cheaper than the poison that caused my problem in the first place. Good Luck.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi supernunn, my doctor, years ago, gave me Campral and said it was ok if I didn't stop drinking right away, it was to lessen the cravings and worked over time. This is what MY doctor said, don't know if the policy has changed since then.
I did stop drinking when taking it, but I found it interrupted my train of thoughts.
Yes, it did lessen the physical cravings, but, I wanted to drink to feel good and to get rid of stress and blah blah blah...so I stopped taking it.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Meow

I stopped drinking the night before I started taking it, and haven't drank since. If I were you, though, I'd check with your prescribing doc.

I did have a headache the first few days, and some dry mouth and cough, but it wasn't too bad and they went away pretty quickly.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Purplecat, how long are you on campral now and alcohol free? thanks
Old 03-07-2017, 10:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Meow

37 days for both. Doc said I'll need to be on it for at least a few months. It's being coupled with a 12 week cognitive behavior therapy program.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi PurpleCat, thanks for your reply, my Doc gave me prescription for 3 month supply early Feb 17, so we on it about same length of time. I only went on it after a month sober after I had a slip at Christmas (after 140 days clean, my record) and felt I needed an extra crutch. I will see how I feel in another 2 months time and see what doc says and if I need to renew prescription. I did read somewhere that you are supposed to take it for a year as that's how long for the brain to restore itself back to near normal again, I don't mind as I feel its doing me good even if its in my head if you know what I mean? and keeping me clean.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

SoberNunn, I took it for about a month. It helped a lot. I stopped taking it when I felt I didn't need it. 9 months sober now. It helped me get over the hump, so to speak.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I started on the Campral today. I've definitely noticed a reduction in my anxiety and cravings too.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just piping up with a couple of comments- on some of these threads, a couple people have mentioned only taking it "when needed" or for extra support. This is not how my dr has prescribed it nor how I have understood people to be instructed to take it; just my experience, so those comments surprised me. Further, I have had ZERO physical cravings and if this is why, Amen and thank God.

Also, re how long to take it - people's comments are interesting and my experience and our plan is that I will take it indefinitely, maybe forever. I am 384 days sober and have taken it since day one. I am totally fine with my med regimen now- the only thing I am closely monitoring is my ativan intake since it is as needed and I want to make sure I am not taking too much or taking it just as a rxn to something stressful instead of using other tools. Side note on campral- I take it 3x a day, for a daily total of 1000mg.

Good luck to all.