Campral advice??? - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2017, 10:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Campral advice???

Hey guys.
Ok ive had addiction problems my whole life, started pot at the age of 15, moved onto amphetamines and opiates for a couple of years, then went off them for ages. I only started drinking late in life (around 24-25, im 29 now) and it has proven the hardest one by far. Im going pretty bad hey.
The worst is, i was hiding the habit (1-2 bottles of wine a day) from my fiance... it was getting so damaging.
Yesterday i just couldnt hide it anymore and i came clean and said how much i needed help. Shes very angry (understandable) but still supportive and helping. I saw a Doctor today and have been given Campral to help with withdrawals. I am supposed to start them tonight. So yeh thats a smallll part of my story guys i think this forum will be a big help to me and i would love to hear your stories, particularly experiences with Campral. Thanks This kind of a repeat post, but i mainly want to know peoples experiences with Campral. thanks!!!
TehWizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't have any advise, really didn't know it existed but wish I did.

From what I gather Campral is the same as Acamprosate.

A search on this site shows a few other threads of people talking about it.

I still cant post links because I am to new but search the forums for acamprosate.
sk187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Did you just go to your normal doctor, the same one you would go to for a physical?

I am just going on a week sober but the cravings are constant.
sk187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Wow, there are a lot of these threads lately. Do try searching as plenty of answers abound.

Yes, campral and acamprosate are the same. Technically, my experience is with the generic (acamprosate) and I would suggest it to anyone. I am 11 mo sober as of yesterday and along with other meds, under my dr's supervision, have taken campral 3x daily since I quit. I have had ZERO cravings; if this is why or part of why, amen and I will happily take it forever. Some people take it only hoping to lessen cravings and still plan/keep on drinking; I don't suggest this- IME and IMO it works BEST (like all other meds, really) if you don't drink, period.

I consider all the meds I take- Antabuse for the first 90 days, seroquel nightly for anxiety and sleep, lorazepam (attivan) daily/as needed for anxiety, lamictal (BPD-related symtpoms/original dx while still drinking)- tools in my sobriety kit.

Good luck.

Quote:
"Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice in Wonderland
August252015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
G-Woman

I started taking Campral a few months ago and found it extremely helpful in reducing my cravings. But I also coupled that with a solid and active recovery plan, and didn't rely on medication alone.

My side effects were minimal, and the only real complaint I have is that it's sometimes tough to remember to take three doses a day. But all in all, I am very glad my doc prescribed it for me.
August252015 (01-23-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 02:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

I've never rated Campral. At one point I was taking Campral, Naltrexone and Antabuse together. Naltrexone reduced my drinking but didnt stop it.

1 Antabuse each morning is enough to scare me into not touching booze, so thats all I take now.
SideStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I took antabuse as a back up (going to any lengths) for the first 90 days, while I worked the AA program. By 90 days my entire outlook had changed , so I reviewed my use of antabuse. The last time I stopped taking it was because I wanted to drink. What would happen this time? Had the problem really been removed or did I still need that antabuse gun to my head?

Turns out the program delivered as promised. Stopped the antabuse, never needed to drink.

What you most need will be found where you least want to look
All BB quotes from 1st Edition.
Gottalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

I don't like taking Antabuse but at only 2 weeks sober It's necessary. That plus AA and seeing Drug and Alcohol regularly seems to be working well for now.
SideStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstop81 View Post
I started taking Campral a few months ago and found it extremely helpful in reducing my cravings. But I also coupled that with a solid and active recovery plan, and didn't rely on medication alone.

My side effects were minimal, and the only real complaint I have is that it's sometimes tough to remember to take three doses a day. But all in all, I am very glad my doc prescribed it for me.
This is my experience as well.
PurpleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

I say take whatever works for you.
I sometimes take Antabuse, but it's usually at my wife's request.
She sometimes sees a behaviour in me that concerns her and it's a good way to ease her mind.
Never heard of Campral, but as I said, if it works for you...
RecklessEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:03 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehWizz View Post

I only started drinking late in life (around 24-25, im 29 now)
I attended AA for a short time when I was around your age.
Wish I would have stuck with the Program.
Would have saved a lot of suffering for myself and others.
Good luck,
M-Bob
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mountainmanbob For This Useful Post:
Done4today (02-04-2017)

Tags
alcoholism , campral , medication advice , personal experience