Notices

Old Patterns

Old 03-03-2017, 12:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Old Patterns

I thought I would share my current situation, I would really appreciate people's thought and experiences on the topic.

I started a new job over a week ago, the same kind of job I did over 20 years ago and I was drinking heavily then after work.
I felt the same kind of pressures and frustrations that I experienced in the previous position, the workload was way to heavy for one person and I could feel my anger and frustration but being sober and aware of my feelings, managed to watch them and not erupt, I came to the conclusion that either management give me help or for my own sanity and sobriety I need to leave. When I spoke to my boss I felt no fear, anxiety or resentment just stating facts and my boss agreed the job was way too much for one person and gave me someone to help and asked me not to leave. That simple. When I was drinking I would have grinned and
bore it, drinking over my resentment and anger even more.
The next day with help, it was a dream, I was so happy and so appreciative that I had a good job with good people.

Today I will go to a meeting in the park beside the river and share my Experience of and how being sober with the tools of AA help me understand more about myself, my MO as it were and teaches me that I am not that person and to really experience the change and step back from the situation not just react to it.

Have a good weekend everyone
Old 03-03-2017, 02:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post. Well done for leaning into your fear and pushing past it.

BB
Old 03-03-2017, 03:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing that CaiHong - great recovery - good to 'see' you too
Old 03-03-2017, 04:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your post is very inspiring. It's nice to see that bad situations sometimes can be changed to something good quite easily, if you let your brain think that way and see the possibilities. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-03-2017, 05:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys for the positive heads up,I have just returned from the meeting and in all honesty, meetings take me out of my relative comfort zone, I feel uncomfortable, emotional on the verge of tears it's like some really nasty medicine that works on some metaphysical level, it's so good for me.
I forgot to mention that the stress of the job affected both my sleeping and appetite.
Someone at a meeting today mentioned she also was struggling with the same problem. She cited exactly what I would do in the past drink to get to sleep, drink to give me energy, drink to relieve stress.

My solution today is to make a healthy smoothie make myself drink it and this afternoon do a yoga nidra, a deep relaxation exercise to make up for lost sleep.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for this. We can so easily imagine that our employers are out to exploit us and will sink us if we ask for something more. I have a contract renewal coming up and feel it is more than appropriate to ask for a pay rise after not getting one for five years. The fear of being told "no" and being informed that I can leave if not happy has kept my mouth shut but perhaps, like in your case, I may be pleasantly surprised. I won't say I'm over worked but pay and conditions have steadily eroded over the last few years which in turn causes more financial pressure and stress at home.
Have the courage to change the things we can.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Cai .

I see it as growth as in spiritual progress and the wisdom to know the difference being applied well done .

Stevie recovered 12 03 2006 .
Old 03-05-2017, 08:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Thanks for the post, Cai...living in the solution!
Old 03-05-2017, 08:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You handled that situation beautifully, thank you for sharing!
Old 03-07-2017, 11:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing this, Hai.

You really did a great job.

I'm sure it was hard.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow! You're really changing! Good for you!!
You faced a fear with action, and God did the rest by calming you.
You must've had faith in that moment!
Keep going!!!! ����
Old 03-08-2017, 09:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thx for sharing
Old 03-08-2017, 09:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's great watching the promises materialise isn't it. Beautiful.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing CaiHong.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I just wanted to add something to my original post, an observation of myself when I get stressed, overwhelmed and I get into hyperactive mode it reminds me of when I was the most vulnerable to want to drink, more likely to drink than when I was feeling very low and depressed.
Also for the first time I understand the term brainstorm, the term used in th BB is not what I used to think it was, thinking intensely about a problem to come up with different solutions but the mind getting out of control and taking over, usually with impractical ideas.
CaiHong