Notices

Day 2

Old 01-28-2017, 08:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2

It's day 2 of recovery. At this point in this is the longest I've gone without a drink in a month. If I make it to day 3 It'll be the longest I've gone without a drink in 6 months & if I make it a week it's the longest I've gone in at least 5 years. It seems to help me mentally to set these "milestones" in my head and as an added incentive, treat myself after a milestone (non alcoholic/ non trigger treats). A fancy coffee drink from Star Bucks if I make it through today/ night is in my future tomorrow. Something to look forward to at least.

As far as day 2 is going - I'm roughly 36 hours since my last drink. Yesterday was fairly easy not to want a drink since I felt like I had been hit by a bus. We purged the house of alcohol yesterday, but I realized today even the site of a wine glass is a potential trigger - so those all will be boxed up today. Also ... I have A LOT of wine themed stuff. Oven mitts, hand towels, wash clothes, etc. & those all need to go to. My appetite is still shot, I only ate a small bowl of soup yesterday & today I forced down one of the cinnamon rolls I made for the kids. Normally I eat everything in sight, so this is pretty unusual for me.

My anxiety levels are off the chart (although that's nothing new, but I'd dumb it down with wine - obviously that never worked well) - I've looked up some natural supplements that are supposed to help with anxiety (anyone know anything about Kava? Seems worth a try via research). I think the biggest trigger/ issue for me will be actually dealing with my anxiety instead of drowning it in wine.

I'm still feeling exhausted today & I still don't have the energy or motivation to really get up and get moving (even though there's plenty of things I could/ should be doing). This is pretty typical behavior for me after my drinking excursions, no energy to do anything. Hopefully next week Saturday, after my body has had time to adjust, will go better.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's awesome! I know so well how not drinking for even one day is the hardest thing in the world. I couldn't for twenty years, not one day I don't think .
I've just been detoxed and the withdrawals were really bad, I had to go to hospital. I'm so worried about everyone on here that stops drinking now! So please be careful.
Treat yourself with lots of yummy things and good films. I am so used to slurping wine all night I now slurp decaf tea with the odd biscuit and it's helped so much.
Pamper yourself and be nice to yourself and well done, keep going you can do it xx
Old 01-28-2017, 10:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome on day 2. I'm so glad you are
Starting to question the value wine adds to your life. We are all stronger without alcohol
Old 01-28-2017, 11:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on a decision you won't regret. Its been said here before that sobriety is simple, but not easy. I tend to agree. Getting through the first couple weeks is a tall order. I think you did the right thing by getting rid of everything drinking related. A wholesale lifestyle change is what's needed. Welcome to SR.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations firstla, it can be very daunting to think long term but one day at a time it can be achieved. I agree with thomas11 about throwing out the wine related stuff, it is kind of symbolic too

We are not allowed to give medical advice firstla but have heard positive and negative things about Kava, just make sure you research thoroughly I guess would be my advice
Old 01-28-2017, 03:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi firstla2809
if your anxiety is really debilitating right now why not see a Dr instead of self medicating?

D
Old 01-28-2017, 05:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey D - I definitely would love to see a doc but unfortunately I recently switch jobs and I'm not eligible for insurance for the next 2.5 months so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place until then.

I picked up Yogi brand Kava tea & valerian root supplements. I've had 2 cups of the tea and I'm feeling a lot less on edge (could be a placebo effect, but I'll take it!). Going to take the valerian root before bed and see if I might actually get sleep tonight!
Old 01-28-2017, 05:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Proud of you for making it to Day 2. Things will settle down soon.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great job!

Milestones are a good idea!
Two days leads to three leads to a week, a month, a year.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great job on day two, setting those milestones definitely help. You should join us in the 24 hour thread as well, it is a great place to check in every day. Is it possible to go to a clinic while waiting for insurance?