Notices

learning to recognise

Old 01-28-2017, 05:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

learning to recognise

Hi all,Hope you are all doing well and staying on top of your recovery.I posted recently regarding feeling miserable and depressed for the last few weeks.Feeling very alone as I now live alone,after my youngest daughter became independant 12mths ago.It has taken me several days to figure out that something must have triggered this miserable train of thought,along with other very uncomfortable feelings akin to early recovery last summer.Then I remembered that I didn't cope very well during an uncomfortable conversation with someone at Church,just a day before all the misery and depression started to resurface.So I had a further read of the 'Paws'links,especialy the sections on brain recovery.Guess mine has a way to go yet.Has anyone else found that dealing with day to day life and even difficult conversations really takes it out of them?
Old 01-28-2017, 05:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes! I only have a little over 100 days in but the PAWS reading helped. I might have it only a couple more years!
Old 01-28-2017, 05:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep I have found myself close to tears after relatively minor altercations at work and socially. On the surface everything is ok but I am still fighting inside and I sometimes feel I have nothing left. It always passes though, I find music and comedy are good mood changers. Just keep going.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomls View Post
Yes! I only have a little over 100 days in but the PAWS reading helped. I might have it only a couple more years!
Yep,recovery takes a while!Many thanks.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yep.

My boyfriend (also in recovery) and I talk about "emotional sobriety" all the time. One aspect of this is just what you talk about- handling difficult or upsetting situations and interpersonal stuff. I have 340 days sober, and I found that through the first 9 mo "stuff" could be really draining when a lot of it happened quickly together- some could be minor things like a passing comment at work that was negative towards me- and I have had my ups and downs with handling things along the way. I used to have a real "refractory" period of fatigue after a few long days, and I have noticed that dealing with things more quickly (making amends when necessary, for example) has helped and also comes much more naturally. I work a really hard AA program and have found my sweet spots for meetings is 4-6 a week to keep in best balance, and staying in touch with my sponsor even if mostly by text is important.

Fatigue is my biggest post-PAWS (I had it severely for a few months) symptom and I still take a nap most days. I go to bed really early (8-9pm sometimes) when I do not work dinner (I work at a restaurant). Rest is a top priority for me.

A good support system and program are key for me. Hang in there- time makes it better and better.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Prayers
Old 01-28-2017, 05:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Unwound View Post
Yep I have found myself close to tears after relatively minor altercations at work and socially. On the surface everything is ok but I am still fighting inside and I sometimes feel I have nothing left. It always passes though, I find music and comedy are good mood changers. Just keep going.
Thankyou so much.Will try those things to lighten my mood.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Yep.

My boyfriend (also in recovery) and I talk about "emotional sobriety" all the time. One aspect of this is just what you talk about- handling difficult or upsetting situations and interpersonal stuff. I have 340 days sober, and I found that through the first 9 mo "stuff" could be really draining when a lot of it happened quickly together- some could be minor things like a passing comment at work that was negative towards me- and I have had my ups and downs with handling things along the way. I used to have a real "refractory" period of fatigue after a few long days, and I have noticed that dealing with things more quickly (making amends when necessary, for example) has helped and also comes much more naturally. I work a really hard AA program and have found my sweet spots for meetings is 4-6 a week to keep in best balance, and staying in touch with my sponsor even if mostly by text is important.

Fatigue is my biggest post-PAWS (I had it severely for a few months) symptom and I still take a nap most days. I go to bed really early (8-9pm sometimes) when I do not work dinner (I work at a restaurant). Rest is a top priority for me.

A good support system and program are key for me. Hang in there- time makes it better and better.
Thankyou so much!That is exactly how I feel.I too go to bed early.And phoned my sponsor yesterday and do feel abit better today.Even better now,thanks to the support and sharing on SR!