Notices

Day 3..again

Old 01-27-2017, 12:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3..again

So this is my day 3 again, the last two times I've tried to quit I only got to day 6, don't know what it is about that day. I'm always ok until day 3 gets here and then my cravings start back up again. Wish I could keep hold of that disgust I feel the day after I drink.. I'm dealing with bad loneliness and depression tonight too. Can't talk with anyone in my real life about any of this because they either don't know or would be disapproving so I'm getting it out on here instead.

I live alone at the moment so that makes it all even worse, I'm fine in the day because I can get out of the house but as soon as it gets dark I get depressed. I don't even know what the point of this is, I suppose I just wanted to type something to get it out of my head, thanks for reading.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hey Owl

These early days can be tough can't they?! But hang in there - things won't always be like these early days for us.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Owl,

Welcome, and we do understand how hard this is.

I think Day 3 is hard for many people, but it's a hurdle. And, once you get past it, then you will feel empowered. If your evenings are hard, maybe you could make plans to go to the gym or meet a friend for coffee?
Old 01-27-2017, 12:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

If you continually fail at day 3, then there is something about your quit plan that isn't working. Do you have a plan?

That might be the first step.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Owl, glad you've made it to day 3. Cravings or urges are always going to be there, that's why you need to have some kind of plan do deal with them as you know they will come back. Do you have any sort of plan other than just "not drinking"?
Old 01-27-2017, 01:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't have a plan, I don't fail at day 3, I fail a lot at day 6
Old 01-27-2017, 01:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post
I don't have a plan, I don't fail at day 3, I fail a lot at day 6
OK - so how can we help you make a plan? Have you considered meetings? Or perhaps joining a monthly thread here? There's lots of self pace plans too like AVRT. Counseling is an option, even rehab can be helpful for some.

If you've never read this link before you might want to check it out.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 01-27-2017, 02:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Kind of the same here Owl, in the daytime I cope but as soon as it gets dark then the urge starts!
I also live alone and suffer from depression, I keep falling at day 2, and always the same thing going through my mind "what's the point"

For me trying to give you advice would be like the blind leading the blind but all I wanted to say you are not on your own trying to deal with quitting alcohol!

Ps, last night I consumed 2 large bottles of cola to try and stop me from drinking, it worked but I would not recommend it. I sat in the chair with chronic stomach cramps and making noises for hours like a balloon letting out air.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm dealing with bad loneliness and depression tonight too. Can't talk with anyone in my real life about any of this because they either don't know or would be disapproving so I'm getting it out on here instead.

I live alone at the moment so that makes it all even worse, I'm fine in the day because I can get out of the house but as soon as it gets dark I get depressed. I don't even know what the point of this is, I suppose I just wanted to type something to get it out of my head, thanks for reading.
Go to a meeting. Lots of people in same situation, people to talk to and a guarantee of something in common. Get a few phone numbers and some coffee.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

BTW, it's the only place you could admit you drank a fifth a night and people laugh and say that's all, or thats not to bad, I drank (fill in the blank). No judgement there.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
AA Member

I'm fine in the day because I can get out of the house but as soon as it gets dark I get depressed.
thats why i go to evening aa meetings

gets me out of the house and around people

only good comes out of it

Old 01-28-2017, 03:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your advice I have been thinking of going to meetings for a while but I'm worried I'll be the youngest one there, I'm 24, its probably a silly thing to be worried about though
Old 01-28-2017, 03:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The groups I attend have a sprinkling of people in their mid 20s. Don't worry about it - the members will latch on to you immediately and offer you lots of support. One thing about AA that is incredibly liberating is that nobody judges you. If anything people will want to help save you the misery they went through drinking to middle age and beyond as I have.

Thanks for all your advice I have been thinking of going to meetings for a while but I'm worried I'll be the youngest one there, I'm 24, its probably a silly thing to be worried about though
Old 01-28-2017, 06:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mentium View Post
The groups I attend have a sprinkling of people in their mid 20s. Don't worry about it - the members will latch on to you immediately and offer you lots of support. One thing about AA that is incredibly liberating is that nobody judges you. If anything people will want to help save you the misery they went through drinking to middle age and beyond as I have.
Thanks, I'll try to get myself to a meeting this week