Notices

Hot gossip weekender 20-22 jan

Old 01-18-2017, 11:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hot gossip weekender 20-22 jan

Recently I have had a couple of conversations related to sobriety and social media. Recently I received an off colour email which I daw had been sent to me between midnight and 1am. As a former drunk myself I recognised straight away that alcohol was involved and chose to ignore it but it transpired that I was not the only one to recieve a drunken message.

It transpired that he author of this message not only had to deal with several recipients but was mortified to discover that he was the subject of much speculation about his drinking and other habits, among his co workers and his cirle of friends.

I am 56 years old, I did not come of age in a social media environment but none the less I did use it but was forced to stop around about 2012 because drunken texts, drunken Facebook posts and drunken tweets gave the game away about how I was spending my free time. My daughters are in their mid 20s and to a degree their lives revolve around social media and I use it extensively in relation to my job. Given that SR forms a part of the social media world as a special interest group it is safe to say that we all use it.

It remains to be seen what will happen to the sender of the "off colour" emails but it is unlikely to be positive. It strikes me as a 21st Century form of public humiliation. I have also read about people drunkenly ordering expensive consumer goods they can't afford and I expect we have all heard about people, including politicians, who have sent photos of certain body parts.

This weekend if we don't drink or drug ouselves we will remove the threat of shame and humiliation via the printed word. Gossip is an unedifying pastime but lets make sure that at least we are not the subject of it. A simple "in" is all it takes, that and a desire not to drink or use drugs so join in and enjoy a humiliation free weekend
Old 01-19-2017, 12:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Shotgun!!!! 🤗🤗
Old 01-19-2017, 12:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great opening Sao, I'm in for a shame free weekend. I'm better than that🌹
Old 01-19-2017, 12:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

A thoughtful post Sao - thanks...a good start to another, shame free, weekend

D
Old 01-19-2017, 12:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Yay Trees!

Damn right you are better than that

Thanks Dee
Old 01-19-2017, 01:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thought I was gonna hear some juicy gossip. I am in for not being the subject of humiliation. I hope I don't hear about anyone else for that matter. Have a wonderful sober weekend SR!
Old 01-19-2017, 04:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm in!!!
Old 01-19-2017, 05:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Done4today View Post
Thought I was gonna hear some juicy gossip. I am in for not being the subject of humiliation. I hope I don't hear about anyone else for that matter. Have a wonderful sober weekend SR!
HaHa! No this about how to avioid being the subject of it
Old 01-19-2017, 05:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Thank you for the thread, Sao.

I am in!
Old 01-19-2017, 06:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm in!
Old 01-19-2017, 06:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in! I didn't make too many social media gaffes when I was drinking. I usually had the sense to put the darn phone and iPad down. But there was always that danger. I live in a small town and did most of my misbehaving out in public - word spreads fast here, so I didn't need social media to make a complete fool of myself. There was always lots of gossip, much of it incorrect. The humiliation was intense. It's been over two years since I did anything dumb while drinking, but the shame is still there when I see certain people or go to certain places. I try to hold my head high, though, knowing I'm doing the right things now. Memories will fade for most people who liked to gossip about me, I hope. If not, the only thing I can do is keep sober and not add fuel to the fire.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am in! I love the topic! I am thankful that the problems relating to that are behind me.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Count me in.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Thanks Sao & I'm ALL in!
I thank God each day for good decisions made with a clear head. Sometimes the shame catches up but when it does, I let it wash over me and remind myself it's in the past and what's done is done. I have a better today. We all have a better today.

I stopped posting on FB in 2016 although I do check in occasionally for birthdays & funny animal videos. My loved ones and good friends are all available via phone & messaging and everything else is superfluous. Plus all that time spent on FB is now spent on SR for my recovery -
Old 01-19-2017, 06:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm in. I've done plenty of drunken texts, calls, FB.... shudder.
Not this weekend. I will know everything I said to everyone over the weeekend come next Monday.
Great beginning Sao! Thanks.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Terrific opener, Sao. Very insightful and offers a good opportunity to reflect on what sobriety offers us in this technological age.

Somehow, I avoided being a texter until after sobriety and, like MLD, somehow had the sense to avoid FB when drunk. Good thing. But I know there were phone calls I regret. That's enough, trust me.

It got better. Living in the solution.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm in! I SOOOO know the shame of the drunken text, post, call, etc......ugh!!! I tried FB for a short period of time because of a work thing.....never posted anything publically shameful, but the private messages....so ridiculous......oh and the texts were the worst. I still get the chills when I think of the humiliation.
MLD51, keep your head high. Let him without sin cast the first stone. You don't deserve to feel ashamed or judged in any way....there are too many places I feel shame going to....there's one place I need to revisit from just last weekend, just to get over it and move on!! The thing to remember is....people are more worried about themselves than anyone else....even if they have a judging thought about one of us, it's only to distract them from the things they feel shame about. It's not up to us to put sins in a list of bad to worse....a sin is a sin is a sin....and I mean sin broadly...anything that causes regret. Who's to say our drunken mistakes are any worse than the one's made by sober suzie down the street?? They're not....so smile and shine on. Be proud of what you've overcome!!
Old 01-19-2017, 07:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

People still use facebook?

I am so glad to not have the opportunity to embarrass myself due to drinking. I can embarrass myself in plenty of ways without alcohol.

in.

Stop talking about me!!
Old 01-19-2017, 07:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great opener....I'm in!!! I'd much rather be sober and enjoying my weekend then hiding under a rock from embarrassment and social anxiety....wasted enough time doing that...time to move on!
Old 01-19-2017, 09:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm in. Great, great theme.