Notices

Hot gossip weekender 20-22 jan

Old 01-20-2017, 06:41 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hi, dontburntheday! Welcome.

I love your user name. Where did all those days drinking go? Burnt to a crisp for me!
Old 01-20-2017, 09:53 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
saoutchik

You're right STDragon it is easy to spend far too long on social media

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
I don't know -is it my former Alki mind or what, but it's funny.

In between work I decided to give myself a break and read article about how the entire former president moving out and new one moving in is handled.

So I read "...who helped supervise hangover in 2001 ".

What?!

Oh, it was changeover.

I got back to work. Then got back to article again starting with this line. And I saw hangover again.

No, thanks.
LOL! I think there was a mistranslation MidnightBlue, the word should have been "handover"

20th 1936 saw the Coronation of King Edward VIII. He only lasted a few months.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:01 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Yay Home!

Crazy Golf tonight
Old 01-20-2017, 11:22 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey all ,

Hope youre all ok .

I guess there are people who are up and people who are down over the new president.
Both can be difficult for sobriety and i hope however you feel you keep to the plan this weekend .

It is just another day to get through sober like all the other ones, i accept no exceptions .

Keep on , m
Old 01-20-2017, 12:13 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

In for another sober weekend!

Great topic, and I'll just say "yep" without providing any incriminating details.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:48 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Whatever it takes - just for today.

I'm in! Thank you.

No more drunken online shopping for me...something I used to do.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:39 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Bed time here. Mr P had a whiskey and now snoring like a piggie. I'm sipping my Night time tea.xx
Old 01-20-2017, 01:42 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I'm in. Unfortunately, I can relate to the sinking feeling of waking up in the morning, wondering what my drunken fingers were up to the night before. I'm still trying to stay quiet on social media!
Old 01-20-2017, 01:57 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Amen, Mecanix: "It is just another day to get through sober like all the other ones...accept no exceptions ."

I am almost done with work for the day. Picking up an old friend for shopping then a movie. Said I didn't want to eat out. Again...I just need to stay away from slightest opportunities. She isn't the Hardee's type, so eating out would put me just one "I'll have one too" away from a drink in my hand.

Beginning to feel better physically. It is really amazing that my body is able to go from feeling the breath of death to feeling "better" in just a few short days. Poor dear livers...they give their all, don't they?
Old 01-20-2017, 03:16 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Scruffanie View Post
I'm in! Thank you.

No more drunken online shopping for me...something I used to do.
Ditto, I once bought a jacket, it didn't suit me it wouldn't have suited anyone

Finished third of six at Crazy Golf not bad considering 4 of the 6 were also not drinking (dry January for the other 3) Usually as the only non drinker I gain up a couple of strokes over the last few holes
Old 01-20-2017, 03:57 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Recently I have had a couple of conversations related to sobriety and social media. Recently I received an off colour email which I daw had been sent to me between midnight and 1am. As a former drunk myself I recognised straight away that alcohol was involved and chose to ignore it but it transpired that I was not the only one to recieve a drunken message.

It transpired that he author of this message not only had to deal with several recipients but was mortified to discover that he was the subject of much speculation about his drinking and other habits, among his co workers and his cirle of friends.

I am 56 years old, I did not come of age in a social media environment but none the less I did use it but was forced to stop around about 2012 because drunken texts, drunken Facebook posts and drunken tweets gave the game away about how I was spending my free time. My daughters are in their mid 20s and to a degree their lives revolve around social media and I use it extensively in relation to my job. Given that SR forms a part of the social media world as a special interest group it is safe to say that we all use it.

It remains to be seen what will happen to the sender of the "off colour" emails but it is unlikely to be positive. It strikes me as a 21st Century form of public humiliation. I have also read about people drunkenly ordering expensive consumer goods they can't afford and I expect we have all heard about people, including politicians, who have sent photos of certain body parts.

This weekend if we don't drink or drug ouselves we will remove the threat of shame and humiliation via the printed word. Gossip is an unedifying pastime but lets make sure that at least we are not the subject of it. A simple "in" is all it takes, that and a desire not to drink or use drugs so join in and enjoy a humiliation free weekend
saoutchik,

I'm in 100% for the weekender thread! Thank you for setting this up.

The theme of social media misuse (especially in the context of drunkenness) is interesting to me. I have posted to Facebook on countless occasions while in various states of inebriation, but only a few times did I ever get any questions or sideways looks. I don't know if most of those posts just weren't that bad to begin with, or if nobody wanted to rock the boat, but....it is what it is, I guess.

I'm just glad that I no longer have to feel that morning-after anxiety of wondering whether or not I posted something ridiculous. I like being able to communicate with a clear head (and conscience).

Well anyway - see you throughout the weekend!

ABW1
Old 01-20-2017, 04:13 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

My grandson just started a cycle of the dishwasher, but there aren't any dishes in it! I can't interrupt it--it has to run its course.

I'm watching my older daughter's kids till tomorrow night. I don't know how I'm going to survive. I mean it. I am totally drained.

Dinner tonight was popcorn and nachos!

I'm ready for bed.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:56 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I am home from work!! Ahhhhh!

That was a rough one. Just so busy at work this time of year (tax season), and had some never fun dental work earlier in the week. I am grateful to be home. I shall stay in comfy clothes and cook something slow all day tomorrow, get out my paints and find some mindless television.

Good to be here with everyone!!
Old 01-20-2017, 10:55 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning. I hope everyone makes it through Friday evening

Another hard frost out this morning. I may go for a run when it gets light but it is too slippery to run in the dark
Old 01-20-2017, 11:08 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I am so embarrassed to be here I'm in
Old 01-20-2017, 11:34 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi SAH - whats your weekend recovery plan?

D
Old 01-21-2017, 12:30 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Sao! Great opener!

So good to see the smiling familiar faces here this weekend. I am in.

Going through some tough times but holding steady. Thing about tough times is nothing sucks forever.

K
Old 01-21-2017, 12:37 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Hi SAH, great to see you!

How many croissants is too many?
Old 01-21-2017, 12:52 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Sao! Great opener!

So good to see the smiling familiar faces here this weekend. I am in.

Going through some tough times but holding steady. Thing about tough times is nothing sucks forever.

K
Love and hugs to you Ken.xx
Old 01-21-2017, 12:54 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Still full of cold etc. But as it's been said here... this too will pass.... hopefully taking my January blues with it! Xx