Notices

so scared

Old 01-14-2017, 10:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

so scared

hi all
Have always enjoyed a few glasses of wine and could easily polish off a bottle and a bit each night but the past couple of months its been more like a couple of bottles a day . I have been off work due to having an op have got very bored and the wine also helped as pain relief. I have tried cutting back but just find it hard to discipline myself . Ideally I would just like to stop but worried about withdrawals.

I have a bloated tummy and water retention.

My liver enzymes have been double what they should be and scans show fatty liver. I am obese also😭

Have I caused irreversible liver damage ? And what withdrawal symptoms am I likely to get if I just stop ?

Thank U in advance for any help and advice
Old 01-14-2017, 10:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No medical advice is allowed, so best to see your doctor. It is never too late to stop. Plenty of support here. You can get better, many people have.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, Dor

Did you have some kind of pre-op checkup before the op itself? I wonder if they might have done some blood tests beforehand and if you could ask your doctor about those results.

I'm not in a good position to say what is likely to happen if you just stop (it can differ between people), but usually some kind of medical involvement is recommended to deal with possibilities like increased anxiety, blood pressure increase, or even delirium tremens (delusions and or seizures) -- so this is something else to discuss with your doctor to get her/his advice and assistance.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Dor, You sound strong. Don't be scared to kick alcohol to the curb! Try not to be scared of whatever's going on physically either. Can you get to the doctor, so you can come up with a health plan? You can do this!
Old 01-14-2017, 10:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Solarion View Post
Hi, Dor

Did you have some kind of pre-op checkup before the op itself? I wonder if they might have done some blood tests beforehand and if you could ask your doctor about those results.

I'm not in a good position to say what is likely to happen if you just stop (it can differ between people), but usually some kind of medical involvement is recommended to deal with possibilities like increased anxiety, blood pressure increase, or even delirium tremens (delusions and or seizures) -- so this is something else to discuss with your doctor to get her/his advice and assistance.
Apart from my liver enzymes being slightly higher everything else was ok.
I am already on meds for high blood pressure and anxiety. When I have taken a break from alcohol before I norm get sweats , upset tummy and insomnia but this time I'm worried it will be worse. I know I have a drink problem but never wake in the morning and feel the need to drink but it starts from when I'm cooking the tea !!
Old 01-14-2017, 10:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JK130 View Post
Hi Dor, You sound strong. Don't be scared to kick alcohol to the curb! Try not to be scared of whatever's going on physically either. Can you get to the doctor, so you can come up with a health plan? You can do this!
Reluctant to involve my doc at this point!!
Old 01-14-2017, 10:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Dor!! Great to have you onboard!!
Old 01-14-2017, 11:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hey the Dor!

Do you want to give up alcohol?

Welcome aboard!
Old 01-14-2017, 12:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Michael66 View Post
Hey the Dor!

Do you want to give up alcohol?

Welcome aboard!
I actually don't want to give up completely but be able to do in moderation... I don't think that is possible though !
Old 01-14-2017, 01:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR Dor67. I think you are going to need to make a couple of very important decisions in the near future. The first, and most important, is whether or not you are an alcoholic. Moderation is not a possibility if you are. If you decide that getting sober is what you want, you'll find a lot of help and support here.

I also think you need to involve your doctor and be honest about your drinking. They cannot help you if you withhold information. Also know that if you do have damage to your liver or other organs because of alcohol, even drinking in moderation will make it worse...total abstinence is the only hope. But again you don't even know what the medical issues you face are from yet....and you won't unless you are honest with your doctor. There is nothing to be ashamed or afraid of, it is quite common and your doctor has seen this before, many times most likely.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dor, Many of us thought we could moderate our drinking. I tried measuring wine, not drinking before a certain time of the day, not drinking on certain days etc........can you see how much of my thinking was devoted to alcohol!? I don't know about you, but I liked the buzz from drinking, so having one or two glasses, wouldn't have done it.

Quitting altogether, was easier for me than moderating. I know you're reluctant to talk with your doctor, but he/she, can't help you, if you're not completely honest with them.

You do have to want to stop to be successful. Have you tried to moderate before? If so, you know it doesn't work.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dor - Welcome!

I think if you're progressing from one bottle to two its unlikely you're going to be able to cut back.

I spent a decade trying to do that - expending vast amounts of energy.

It was much much easier for me just to up and quit drinking alcohol.

I think if you're worried about your health it's probably a good idea to quit anyway.

I never would have believed it, but I got my life back when I quit - best decision I ever made. I hope you'll at least think about it

and yeah - only a Dr is going to be able to diagnose and treat any problems you might have, and only a Dr can really put you at ease about your health concerns and withdrawal concerns.

Some things need a face to face contact,

D
Old 01-14-2017, 03:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
sober style

I was in the same position last February, Dor67. I was sure I had ascites and that my liver was shot. Once I quit drinking, I started gradually feeling better. It's amazing what can happen to our bodies once we stop ingesting all that poison. Don't give up hope. Obviously see a doctor if you need to, and just don't drink. Do that over and over, don't drink every day.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PurpleKnight View Post
Welcome to the Forum Dor!! Great to have you onboard!!
Thank u
Old 01-14-2017, 11:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Welcome to SR Dor67. I think you are going to need to make a couple of very important decisions in the near future. The first, and most important, is whether or not you are an alcoholic. Moderation is not a possibility if you are. If you decide that getting sober is what you want, you'll find a lot of help and support here.

I also think you need to involve your doctor and be honest about your drinking. They cannot help you if you withhold information. Also know that if you do have damage to your liver or other organs because of alcohol, even drinking in moderation will make it worse...total abstinence is the only hope. But again you don't even know what the medical issues you face are from yet....and you won't unless you are honest with your doctor. There is nothing to be ashamed or afraid of, it is quite common and your doctor has seen this before, many times most likely.
I feel so ill and my body is screaming to give it up.
I feel so ashamed to have let myself get like this.
Completely giving up is the only way to go 😢
Old 01-14-2017, 11:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnazzyDresser View Post
I was in the same position last February, Dor67. I was sure I had ascites and that my liver was shot. Once I quit drinking, I started gradually feeling better. It's amazing what can happen to our bodies once we stop ingesting all that poison. Don't give up hope. Obviously see a doctor if you need to, and just don't drink. Do that over and over, don't drink every day.
Can I please ask how much you were drinking and did you wean yourself off or just stop completely?
Old 01-14-2017, 11:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pondlady View Post
Dor, Many of us thought we could moderate our drinking. I tried measuring wine, not drinking before a certain time of the day, not drinking on certain days etc........can you see how much of my thinking was devoted to alcohol!? I don't know about you, but I liked the buzz from drinking, so having one or two glasses, wouldn't have done it.

Quitting altogether, was easier for me than moderating. I know you're reluctant to talk with your doctor, but he/she, can't help you, if you're not completely honest with them.

You do have to want to stop to be successful. Have you tried to moderate before? If so, you know it doesn't work.
Oh I just love wine but hate what it's doing to me.
Only time I can do in moderation is when I know I need to go to work the next day. So being at home has made it easier to drink more.
I am back to work 23 Jan so I really need to seriously sort myself out !!
Old 01-15-2017, 12:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I just want to say that I had similar enzymes. When I stopped drinking they went back to normal.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
I just want to say that I had similar enzymes. When I stopped drinking they went back to normal.
That's good to hear.

Thank u
Old 01-15-2017, 12:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The liver is the most powerfully regenerative organ of the human body.

Like a lizard's tail. It can grow itself right back.

When a liver has to process alcohol and/or drugs, all the energy is consumed with that processing, & there is none left over for regeneration.

Long term alcoholics develop veins of scar tissue within the liver, and that scar tissue is permanent - the liver cannot transform it.

If you stop drinking, the liver uses all its capacity to make itself new.
The body is amazing. When you stop pouring poison in, it reaches toward health & renewal.

If you stay sober, your liver will recreate itself with the energy of a thousand suns. It will do its very best. You have to stop poisoning it, so it can do its work...