Notices

Day 3...lethargic and tired

Old 01-05-2017, 03:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3...lethargic and tired

Hello all,

I've lurked these forums in the past, but have recently decided to finally get sober. I was a bottle of wine a night girl, for at least the past three years, though heavy drinking has been a norm in my life (normal for my family, friends, and then I was a bartender for a very long time and of course that's a completely different lifestyle).
Jan. 3rd was my Day 1. I was really looking forward to more energy but today I'm feeling so tired and just out of it kind of? I haven't even really had any cravings yet (other than for the cheesy rice I knew was in my fridge and have been thinking about all day, lol). Not saying that like "oh I haven't had any cravings, go me!" more like, I've been to lethargic to even think about drinking.
Although, my AV did pipe up around 3 pm today trying to convince me I was overreacting at my drinking and lurking these forums was making me think it was a bigger deal than it was, and that I should totally allow myself to have a couple glasses of pinot grigio tomorrow since I didn't drink at all during the work week, and that my husband would probably be glad I decided to join him in a couple of cocktails on a Friday night. I told it to shut up, but did contemplate for a few minutes beforehand. It's gone now but I'm sure the pesky bug will be back.
Don't really know what the point of my post is. Not much of an introduction, but I'll get around to one soon I'm sure. Was really hoping to be more productive in my evenings but I've really just wanted to sit around, watch TV and eat. I'm sure it's just withdrawal symptoms, and hope they clear soon. Would love to have a productive weekend. Hello to all of you =)
Old 01-05-2017, 03:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! Yes, being tired and feeling "in a fog" is normal. Your body is healing and needs rest and water. You will start feeling more energetic soon enough, but for now, let your body heal.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggoluvr87 View Post
Hello all,

I've lurked these forums in the past, but have recently decided to finally get sober. I was a bottle of wine a night girl, for at least the past three years, though heavy drinking has been a norm in my life (normal for my family, friends, and then I was a bartender for a very long time and of course that's a completely different lifestyle).
Jan. 3rd was my Day 1. I was really looking forward to more energy but today I'm feeling so tired and just out of it kind of? I haven't even really had any cravings yet (other than for the cheesy rice I knew was in my fridge and have been thinking about all day, lol). Not saying that like "oh I haven't had any cravings, go me!" more like, I've been to lethargic to even think about drinking.
Although, my AV did pipe up around 3 pm today trying to convince me I was overreacting at my drinking and lurking these forums was making me think it was a bigger deal than it was, and that I should totally allow myself to have a couple glasses of pinot grigio tomorrow since I didn't drink at all during the work week, and that my husband would probably be glad I decided to join him in a couple of cocktails on a Friday night. I told it to shut up, but did contemplate for a few minutes beforehand. It's gone now but I'm sure the pesky bug will be back.
Don't really know what the point of my post is. Not much of an introduction, but I'll get around to one soon I'm sure. Was really hoping to be more productive in my evenings but I've really just wanted to sit around, watch TV and eat. I'm sure it's just withdrawal symptoms, and hope they clear soon. Would love to have a productive weekend. Hello to all of you =)
Welcome!
A bottle a night is quite solid and you should not feel disgruntled too soon. Our time spent drinking became important (albeit unproductively bad) parts of our life. Your former employment may well have instilled even more emphasis on "the drinking game".
When one passtime ends there is room for something new. I personally found that new hobbies and recreational pursuits helped fill the void. Good luck!
Old 01-05-2017, 03:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bubovski View Post
Welcome!
A bottle a night is quite solid and you should not feel disgruntled too soon. Our time spent drinking became important (albeit unproductively bad) parts of our life. Your former employment may well have instilled even more emphasis on "the drinking game".
When one passtime ends there is room for something new. I personally found that new hobbies and recreational pursuits helped fill the void. Good luck!
I suppose a bottle a night is pretty solid. I managed to turn it into three very hearty glasses, though, a nice way to act like I was just a "heavy" drinker" not "clearly has a problem here." Anyway, yes I am excited for the time and energy not drinking will clear up for me, just need to get through this tired period. Thank you for the responses! =)
Old 01-05-2017, 03:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I'm glad you joined us.

I hope our support can help you get sober for good. It takes a while to start feeling good again. I felt better in a week (after the physical withdrawal was over), and better still in a month. Give yourself time to repair the damage that pinot grigio has done. (that was my drink also)
Old 01-05-2017, 03:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad to meet you. If you are like me it took a long time to ramp up to the quantity I was at in my final years of drinking. It takes awhile to reverse all of the craziness too. I think I really started to feel much better at around four weeks but again it's a little better each day. You can do it. Your AV will try most anything to get you to drink again. Just hold your ground and know that's all it is. Look forward to reading your posts. We are in this together
Old 01-05-2017, 07:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

COngratulations on your decision, you will be rewarded in the long run. Be vigilant and on guard for that pesky AV, it will try to talk you into anything for "just one", and of course its almost never just one. With each passing day it will get better.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Well done on deciding to quit doggoluvr. As others have said it does take a while to get our energy levels back
Old 01-06-2017, 05:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! Did not want to get out of bed this morning, but I'm at work =). I'm pretty stoked to SLEEP IN tomorrow. Epsom salt bath for me tonight, hoping that may help pull out some extra toxins and help me heal.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi, welcome, and it sounds like you're doing great!
Old 01-06-2017, 07:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Welcome! I was a wine drinker, too, and found all sorts of ways to minimize my bottle-a-day habit. I even started drinking at a bar instead of at home so I wasn't really "seeing" that I had had the equivalent of a bottle. I'm sure the 3 or 4 glasses I was drinking was easily a bottle, or maybe a little more.

I'm a big fan of the epsom salt bath. It will help you sleep, too, as magnesium is a good gentle sleep aid. You will be happy sleeping in because you can and you want to, not because you need to because you're too hungover to get up.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard!
Old 01-06-2017, 08:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Welcome! I was a wine drinker, too, and found all sorts of ways to minimize my bottle-a-day habit. I even started drinking at a bar instead of at home so I wasn't really "seeing" that I had had the equivalent of a bottle. I'm sure the 3 or 4 glasses I was drinking was easily a bottle, or maybe a little more.

I'm a big fan of the epsom salt bath. It will help you sleep, too, as magnesium is a good gentle sleep aid. You will be happy sleeping in because you can and you want to, not because you need to because you're too hungover to get up.
It's so funny how we attempt to trick ourselves into believing our behavior is normal. I didn't realize epsom salt baths made you sleepy! I used to have a glass of pinot with me anytime I took one so always assumed it was the wine. (On a side note, how come ANYTIME you see a woman relaxing in a tub in pop culture she always has a glass of wine in her hand?)
Old 01-06-2017, 08:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

That's totally normal. First, your body is trying to rest up after not getting quality sleep while you were drinking. It will take a little while for your adrenal gland to recover from the fatigue of being overworked. And second, your body is adjusting to not having all of the sugar from the wine put into it. In my experience, after day four or five, my energy levels started coming back to normal.

Great job on the first three days! Keep it up! You will feel so much better after your body has a chance to reset.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Well, I used to drink wine in the tub, too. It seemed to be the thing to do. I don't miss it one bit. I don't need the wine in order to relax. In fact, I do better at relaxing without it. Alcohol messed with me and made me so anxious a lot of the time. I sleep so much better without it, too. No more waking up in a panicky sweat in the middle of the night. I've never slept so well in my life.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SweatyHands View Post
That's totally normal. First, your body is trying to rest up after not getting quality sleep while you were drinking. It will take a little while for your adrenal gland to recover from the fatigue of being overworked. And second, your body is adjusting to not having all of the sugar from the wine put into it. In my experience, after day four or five, my energy levels started coming back to normal.

Great job on the first three days! Keep it up! You will feel so much better after your body has a chance to reset.
Thank you! I hope my timeline will be similar to yours. If so, I'll be able to get in that productive weekend I was looking forward to!
Old 01-06-2017, 08:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Well, I used to drink wine in the tub, too. It seemed to be the thing to do. I don't miss it one bit. I don't need the wine in order to relax. In fact, I do better at relaxing without it. Alcohol messed with me and made me so anxious a lot of the time. I sleep so much better without it, too. No more waking up in a panicky sweat in the middle of the night. I've never slept so well in my life.
It will be lemon tea with me tonight! Which honestly, tastes sooo much better!