Notices

Not Asking for Medical Advice

Old 12-21-2016, 04:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not Asking for Medical Advice

I feel just awful. Today is day 1 and a little past the time I usually start drinking to feel better from how awful I feel from over doing it the night before. It is not that I want to drink, I just do not want to feel this crappy. I am in this vicious cycle of drinking to cure my hangover. I cannot tell if I have indigestion or I if I am having a heart attack. I have considered urgent care in the last hour just to rule out my heart. I could not even eat dinner. I am so tired I can hardly see straight. I think I might just go to bed and binge watch some Netflix or something with a melatonin. I am so irritable that I am avoiding my husband who has no idea what is going on.

My addict wants to make an excuse to my husband to run to Walmart, but I am writing here instead. I just have to get through tonight and I know I will feel better tomorrow. If I drink, I will never feel better even though my inner addict lies to me horribly. There is an 8:00 AA meeting but I am honestly safer if I do not leave the house. I have left meetings and gone straight to the store. Meetings are not a guarantee. I dumped all of my hidden stash today. There is nothing in the house.

I keep changing the mantra in my head. Every time I tell myself how much "I" want a drink, I follow that up with "No, your addict wants a drink. YOU are not your addict".

Please just let me get through tonight so I can feel well enough to hit the gym tomorrow.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The first few days are difficult. I slept a lot. It will get better.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I went thru withdrawal, it usually lasted a few days and was awful the first few days. Whatever you do, don't drink! That will just mean you have to go thru it all over again. Stay strong and get thru the next few days and you'll be feeling better.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Usra,
It's going to be hard but I promise it will get better in a few days. Everyone is diffrent but it helped me so much to just sit and read everything I could find here. Or just post as a way to reach out for support. Don't hesitate to see your doctor if things get bad. You can do it
Old 12-21-2016, 06:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I made it through the night and know I am not drinking today. I took a time released melatonin to help me sleep since I have not gotten a good night's sleep in over a year. I wish I could sleep for a week.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Usta - that's wonderful news. We promise things get better & easier - you'll feel more confident that you can do this. Once this adjustment period is over, you never have to go through it again. Hope will return - you will heal.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
quat

See that YOU wish for good things

Keep that mantra up
Old 12-22-2016, 04:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job getting through the night! It's hard but in a few days you will feel better
Old 12-22-2016, 05:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Make it another sober day and that alone will make it a good one. Baby's steps at the start. You can do it and we are here.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

You're doing great usta. Those first few days are really tough, but its remarkable how quickly we can start to feel better. Hang on in there.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I Googled and read every article on home alcohol detoxing, foods to help detox the body from alcohol, alcohol detox timeline, even "I drank too much wine..." and then counted the hours that I was free from alcohol for 3 days knowing that every hour I was ridding my body of the alcohol. I drank water alot and also coconut water (for the electrolytes so I wouldn't seizure) and it lowers blood pressure. Ate bananas like a monkey. Soon it was Day 4 and I was better.