Notices

Scared of withdrawals

Old 11-28-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared of withdrawals

So, fear of violent withdrawals is one of my hang ups. Since my own experience is all I have I don't know where I'm at on the potential withdrawal spectrum. Hell, I don't even know where I rate on the amount of alcohol I drink, not really. Either I'm a raging drunk or overly paranoid, no clue. (I do know I'm not happy with the amount I drink, though). I've quit drinking for 36-40 hours recently with no real noticeable physical effects other than anxiousness (feels like severe boredom). But the internet has me freaked out that it could be extreme and disabling. Anyone want to share experiences? Is there a relative timeline where I can know that it might not be coming in full force? I know everyone it's different, but it might help if I had an approximate idea of when the dt's and all that nastiness should hit if they are coming. Thanks all.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Withdrawals from alcohol can often be unpredictable and that's why it's a good idea to talk to your dr before stopping drinking. As far as how much you drink, that's not as important as what happens to you when you drink. I became a person that I detested so I had to stop drinking.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always recommend people see a Dr - it's the safest route withdrawal wise

D
Old 11-28-2016, 02:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Bump
Old 11-28-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'd only stop drinking under a docs supervision... they can help ease you through it x
Old 11-28-2016, 03:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Bump
I'm sorry, I'm new here as of today and don't know what you are referring to.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nic233 View Post
I'd only stop drinking under a docs supervision... they can help ease you through it x
Thank you, that sounds like good advice. I'm due for an annual checkup anyway. Might be a good time to bring it up.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am on Day 19. I have several stop attempts over by 20+ year daily drinking career. For myself I know I don't get major symptoms, even at a pint of vodka a day. I don't even get hangovers. At most just anxiety.

I went to my doctor three weeks ago and spilled my drinking history and how I needed to try something else before I drank myself to death. Based on my history of minimal withdrawal systems we decided on a 6 month supply of antabuse. She also prescribed 60 days of Ativan to ward off anxiety and insomnia in the first couple of months. This to be tapered ended after that.

So the last 19 days has really been quite easy. My brain knows it can't drink without violently getting sick so the AV has pretty much shutup. And I've never been prescribed an anti anxiety med. Apparently this is the "go to" med prescribed for alcohol withdrawal symptoms. I have felt calm and peaceful with no anxiety at all. Sleeping 8 hours a night. No side effects for me.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Withdrawals from alcohol can often be unpredictable and that's why it's a good idea to talk to your dr before stopping drinking. As far as how much you drink, that's not as important as what happens to you when you drink. I became a person that I detested so I had to stop drinking.
Thank you Anna
Old 11-28-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KissMyTiara View Post
I am on Day 19. I have several stop attempts over by 20+ year daily drinking career. . .
I'm very similar. I get up at 4:30 every morning and I haven't gotten hangovers for a long time, similar amounts of vodka or whiskey. That it's part of what concerns me. If I hit it to hard I might feel off the next day, which is a kind of deterrent. Not getting sick almost feels like an excuse or free pass but I know nothing is free. I'll have a similar discussion with my doctor. Thanks for sharing your experience and that's great you are doing well.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Most people are able to just white knuckle it through the withdrawal process and going into severe DT's is rare, but everyone is different. The safest bet is to just make a docs appointment and let them know you are going to be detoxing so they can prescribe you some meds to get through it.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can get your doctor's help in getting safely and comfortably thru withdrawal. And once you're detoxed, make a plan to stay sober.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustTom View Post
Thank you, that sounds like good advice. I'm due for an annual checkup anyway. Might be a good time to bring it up.
I think it sounds like a perfect time to bring it up with your Doctor. I tried a couple of years ago to "white knuckle it" and it was not good for me at all.. I ended up very ill. Your Doctor can advise you and hopefully monitor you when you decide you are going to quit. Good luck- Stay close to SR xxx
Old 11-28-2016, 06:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustTom View Post
I'm sorry, I'm new here as of today and don't know what you are referring to.
Hi JustTom, "bump" refers to someone simply making a post so your thread goes back to the top of the list so you get more feedback.

Welcome to SR, as you can see, lots of friendly people here.