Notices

New to the forum

Old 10-30-2016, 10:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to the forum

I have been trying to quit drinking with sincerity for about a year but haven't seemed to make it past a couple of weeks at a time. I have a sincere desire to quit, and a supportive spouse and family, so I don't understand why I can't do this. I've tried AA, counseling, even psychiatric hospitalization after attempting suicide due largely to my drinking (you'd think THAT would have snapped me out of it . . . )

I'm at risk of losing my wife, my house, and my job, yet once the desire to drink plants itself in my brain, the only thing I can think of is how to drink and hide it from my family instead of what it's going to do to my family.

Getting past the first few weeks seems almost impossible. Does it get any easier to stay sober? If so, when . . .

Thanks,
-E
Old 10-30-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! Yes, it does get easier to stay sober but it takes time to get to that point. I found it getting easier when I got to six months sober. I thought about drinking much less and felt more comfortable in sobriety.

Stick around and post a lot. If you feel like drinking, come here and tell on yourself and we'll help talk you out of it.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Hi there - it's a struggle... But I'm understanding it takes time to condition the brain to stay sober. Longest I've made it is 2 months..

Please quit and get your life back!
Old 10-30-2016, 11:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have found coming here helps a lot and this from someone who never posts anything anywhere else.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

The first few weeks will likely be tough, but each time you get through a craving, it does seem to make the next time easier. Try to focus on getting through each day. If you have alcohol in the house, get rid of it and don't buy more. Distract yourself in any way possible. You can do this!
Old 10-30-2016, 11:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Greetings and welcome!
You are certainly not alone at all in your struggles. Stick around SR...we are a great, supportive bunch and this forum has served as a very valuable tool in many peoples "Recovery Toolkit" and plan.

That would be the first thing to do, my friend. Make a PLAN for your sobriety. How are you going to stay sober, even after the first week or two?

Old 10-30-2016, 11:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to SR TwoDogDad

It is not easy, if it were then more people would do it. At the start even a month seems an impossibly long time to go without a drink but once you can get a calender month behind you it really gives you something that you don't want to throw away

It does get easier after this but only imperceptibly as our brain gets used to not receiving it's fix

Have a good look round the site and try to pick up as many helpful bits of information as you can

Having a plan for when the cravings strike is essential in my opinion, I know that I could not do it by just "white knuckling"

Very best wishes to you
Old 10-30-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! Amazing how powerful addiction is. One day at a time my friend. Read around there's lot of hope here.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by TwoDogDad View Post
I've tried AA,
didnt work for me either until i ...

got a higher power
did the steps under the guidance of a sponsor
got active in service (helping others)

God bless

Old 10-30-2016, 12:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

We 7% US alcoholic addictive personalities are a minority.. The other 93% aren't so challenged.

It takes FOCUSED REPETITION TO SHUN EUPHORIA and ENJOY SOBER LIFE!

I and many here where like you.. At the beginnings of our 'education'.. Now I'm amazed that I shun abuse, and am much stronger.

What do you think about a year in jail? Would that help you enjoy natural freedom?
Old 10-30-2016, 12:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I found once I started, little goals started adding up quickly, so 5 days, then a week, then 10 days, then 2 weeks, etc... Soon you start getting into the 20's - just finishing 25 days today and you have a little total you don't want to give up.

The initial physical stuff has passed and I seem to have gotten a bit better at thinking about what I going to do before I get to somewhere with alcohol involved.

It's not a picnic, but it's way easier than the first couple of days.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. My psychiatrist once told me that it takes your brain about 200 repetitions before a change becomes engrained. So, I've only got to turn down a craving to drink another 199 times before I start to make progress, I guess
Old 10-30-2016, 12:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Mr

Hello, for a month or two post here everyday.
Regualar posting helps focus.
Old 10-30-2016, 03:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi TwoDogDad - it's so good to have you with us. It really helped me to be here. I found the courage to stop after drinking almost 30 yrs.

Yes, in the beginning it's so hard - we feel disoriented, like something's missing. Even though I knew drinking could never be fun for me again, I was resentful & felt sorry for myself. Gradually the feeling of freedom took over - I was so happy to not be trapped in that horrible cycle any more. Hope and enthusiasm for the future won - and I rarely think of drinking now. So it does get easier - don't lose heart.
Old 10-30-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

😊

There are fantastic apps for your phone that tracks your sober time, celebrates your milestones and has messages of encouragement. The one I use is for Android and it's called Sober tool.

I'm almost at 4 months now. Longest ever in 11 years. Last year I had 44 days, but white knuckling it the whole time. Other than that I binged drank myself for at least two days straight a week. Sometimes longer. **Sigh**.

I've found the app extremely helpful. Especially when my mind starts to try to seduce me into wanting to drink.

I'm going to start going to an all woman's AA group this week. Other than feeling chronically tired, it gets lonely.

One day at a time. I feel great not drinking. I think I'm finally at the point where I am Ok with this new life. Lot's of unwanted reflection, uncomfortable feelings, tears, regret, remorse, feeling of so much time wasted, etc... It certainly beats the alternative. It was a bit tough around the 90 day mark, but the app helped, and finding this site was extremely helpful. I'm all good again.

Good luck. Keep plunking along.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You guys are amazing. Keep going TwoDogDad...
You CAN do this...I know it is hard to SUSTAIN...but it is also hard to stay away from it for 1 day and you have shown the ability to do that...

I was drinking anywhere from 6-13 beers daily 7 days a week for YEARS.
It was just what I did. And I drink them FAST...so from 5-9 every night I could hit it pretty hard and then go to bed for another night of lousy sleep.
Day 8 was today. Have not really missed those 72 beers I would have drank over 8 days

Good luck and try to get a mental picture of a happy sober successful new you.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR twodogdad - good to have you join us

D
Old 10-31-2016, 07:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Day 2 almost over and still foggy headed but soooo much better than yesterday. I've decided to team up with a therapist who specializes in EMDR therapy during this effort to get sober, and I start my first session tomorrow night. I'll report back after.