Notices

Shy newcomer

Old 10-31-2016, 12:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Shy newcomer

Hello, I have toyed with the idea of joining a forum like this for a long time, and after another ridiculous drink fuelled weekend I am admitting defeat. I've managed to kid myself that I didn't have a problem as I don't feel like a had an addiction. I can quite happily go an entire week and not touch a drink and not be in the slightest bit bothered. I'm 29 and largely fit and healthy, I go to work and the gym and look from the outside entirely acceptable. My issue comes when I do drink, as it always to excess. I'm always the drunkest on a night out, I never cause any trouble or get argumentative and that's how I think I've been able to get away with it. If I drink to excess I find it nearly impossible to not drink the following morning - probably as a way of helping with the hangover and anxiety. Yesterday morning I drank straight gin at around half 8 in the morning following on from a heavy session the night before. I then spent the rest of the day almost collapsed in bed sleeping it off. This happens regularly and I lie to hide my drinking. Each time it happens I tell
Myself never again and I'll sort myself out but here I am again, boyfriend furious because I just disappeared to my Mums where I knew they'd be out and slept off my hangover. I'm so embarrassed to admit what I'm doing. Today the thought of drinking on a morning is so alien to me, I probably won't touch a drink
Now for the rest of the week but I know that I have a problem. I rang drinkline today and the lady was lovely but she didn't really point me in a direction and now I'm totally lost.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome.
This is a good and friendly place. I've found that it has helped me. You'll find a lot of us know what you're talking about, because we all basically have problems stopping at just one or two.
Just keep posting - if you don't drink in the week anyway, it gives you time to come up with a plan for next weekend.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

You are not 'totally lost' because you found SR! Welcome! Keep reading the posts and keep us posted. You are not alone. Lot's of support here!
♡ CR
Old 10-31-2016, 01:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello many of us have been there and had different patterns of drinking. It all comes down to the same thing: we are better off not drinking at all.

Read posts, stickies, etc. there is lots of help and support here.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
For a period of my heavy drinking I appeared perfectly fit, too.
But alcoholism is progressive. Those morning drinks to take off the hangover gradually became a habit until I was drinking two shooters of whiskey at 8am on the way home from the liquor store to get the day started. Then, a twelve pack for the rest of the day.

My social drinking devolved into being a most every day drinker. Alone with my grandiose fantasies and thoughts.
Then the misery of the next day-the anxiety, fear and regret on the days I was so filled with anxiety and fear that I couldn't make it to the liquor store.
I drank Like that for ten years.

You're wise to realize you may have a problem now and come here. You'll find lots of support.
Best to you and remember, you never have to drink again.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so glad you found us, OWM.

I started out drinking like you. For many years I refused to acknowledge that I was struggling and losing the battle. As a result I found myself drinking every day in the end - completely dependent on it. This won't be you. You're taking action. Being here to talk things over will really help. Welcome.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, OWM! I'm happy that you've found SR. It's a wonderful place.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome OWM. W're glad you're here.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, OWM! Welcome Great people and lots of support here