Notices

Newcomer - 13 Days Sober - Still Getting Sick Everyday

Old 10-03-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer - 13 Days Sober - Still Getting Sick Everyday

Hi all. Just thought I'd ask people that would know an answer to this. So I've drank for 13 years now. Was up to over a fifth a day for 3 years. I tried hundreds of times to quit, and was never successful. I finally reached the tipping point and went to the doctor. They gave me some medication to handle the withdrawals and I have now made it 13 days without a single drink.

My only problem is every day at about noon I start getting physically sick. I get a fever, I get extreme fatigue. I feel like an absolute zombie. I'll lie in bed with a blanket on all day watching Netflix. I thought after a week or so I would start feeling great, but it's just not getting any better. My doctor is on vacation and I meet up in 10 days, but this is just annoying dealing with this every single day. I take ibuprofen and it reduces the fever a bit but the fatigue is still there.

Is this normal and does it get any better? Or is there something more wrong with me from the damage of drinking for so long? I'm very excited that once I finish today it will be two weeks, but I was really hoping to feel like a start of a new life and this new life is miserable. I'm not turning back to the dark side, I'm just looking for some encouraging signs that this will stop or if it doesn't what I can do to stop it.

Nice to meet you all.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

I wasn't being sick on day 13 its best to let a dr check you out

Welcome to a fantastic source of recovery
Old 10-03-2016, 01:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would try to get in to see a dr sooner than the 10 days you mentioned. Good job on 13 days sober!
Old 10-03-2016, 01:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Getting sick like vomiting sick or just feeling like garbage with no motivation?
Old 10-03-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Isaiah. Congrats on your 13 days of sobriety. Well done.

I recall feeling exhausted & nauseous for the first few days. I guess our bodies are making a huge adjustment. If you're still feeling that way at 13 days - I agree that you should check with your doctor.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tekink View Post
Getting sick like vomiting sick or just feeling like garbage with no motivation?
No throwing up. Just garbage. No energy, low fever, like a walking zombie. I try to get up, drink a lot of water, but no matter what I try it's just like this every single day. When I wake up, I feel a lot better, but when it hits about noon to 2 o'clock my body just shuts down and I feel like that for the rest of the day.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

That's very common & expected it takes time for our bodies to heal because of the damage caused by alcohol

Physically Mentally & Spiritually
Old 10-03-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA Member

13 days = great
Old 10-03-2016, 04:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello Isaiah,

I am on day 19, and feel exhausted as well...around 2pm in the afternoon. While I don't feel sick, I have to take a nap to make it the rest of the day. I am thinking it is due to the quality of sleep at night, as I am waking up at 4 am every day! No wonder I'm tired

How are you sleeping at night? This takes time and patience, your doing great for hanging in there!
Old 10-03-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wildflower70 View Post
Hello Isaiah,

I am on day 19, and feel exhausted as well...around 2pm in the afternoon. While I don't feel sick, I have to take a nap to make it the rest of the day. I am thinking it is due to the quality of sleep at night, as I am waking up at 4 am every day! No wonder I'm tired

How are you sleeping at night? This takes time and patience, your doing great for hanging in there!
Hey thanks! The first couple days my sleeping was all over the place, but I've been actually sleeping pretty good lately. Got 8 hours of sleep last night and woke up once to let the dog out. I probably need some vitamins or sugar or something. I'm drinking plenty of water to stay hydrated. But right on cue, every day around noon-2 o clock... it's like the feeling that you're about to get a flu. A light fever and just absolutely no energy. Not necessarily the need to sleep or nap, but just feels like the energy is getting zapped out of me.

I've been drinking heavy for a long long time, so I'm hoping this is just a process I have to go through and it will go away. I was just wondering if someone else went through it and if they had any tricks because I really want to start enjoying this sobriety and getting out and doing things I haven't been doing for a long time. But about 2 oclock I just get under a blanket and if I try to get up it's just painful and slow. Ughhhhhhh... still better than waking up with a hangover every day though!! That's a positive.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 13 days sober! If you're not feeling better in a week or so, do see your doctor. Sooner if necessary. It took me a while to start feeling normal again but it was worth the wait.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Icecream was a good thing for me in the early weeks. I kind of didn't withhold any comfort foods the first little while, it was tough enough so I treated myself. Then once I had some time under my belt I started to reduce the sugary foods. Not sure if this is a help.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Are you taking vitamins and eating healthy? I felt (still do @ times) lethargic for a while after. Almost like if I sat down or stopped, I was not moving for the rest of the day. I learned to just keep going and push through it the best that I could.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Isaiah4031 View Post
No throwing up. Just garbage. No energy, low fever, like a walking zombie. I try to get up, drink a lot of water, but no matter what I try it's just like this every single day. When I wake up, I feel a lot better, but when it hits about noon to 2 o'clock my body just shuts down and I feel like that for the rest of the day.
I'm only on day 21 and I still feel foggy but it's starting to let up a bit. I've been going through a whirlwind of no motivation, stomach cramps, brain fog, angry outbursts at nothing, depression, insomnia, trouble concentrating, I'm sure I've forgotten a few. I really am starting to feel a bit better though. Our bodies take some time to heal.

Congratulations on making it 13 days! Two weeks is right around the corner.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Isaiah

I'm sorry you're not feeling great...if it's really debilitating I'd see a Dr - just to make sure there's nothing else going on?

D
Old 10-04-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Like everyone has suggested see a doctor sooner. It never hurts being under a physicians care. especially this early in recovery. I can only speak from my experience. I am 44 days in and I am still experience nausea and fatigue. Two of your symptoms. Tho nowhere near as bad in the beginning 3 weeks. It eases and then comes on some days more, but a gradual reduction overall. I also am seeing where what I eat plays a dramatic role in how I feel. So, the only thing I can really say is it has gotten better for me but slowly. Congrats on your 13 days sober!!! One minute, One hour, One day, One week, One Month, Everything One step at a time. You got this!
Old 10-04-2016, 07:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I had everything you mention except the fever for a few weeks - the fever would concern me. I'd try to see a doctor sooner than the 10 days you mentioned.

The fatigue was bad for me for about a month - then it gradually got better. I figured it was normal - my body trying to recover after years of abusing it with booze.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Isaiah!!
Old 10-04-2016, 08:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

So felt a little bit better today. I didn't change much up, so I'm hoping my body is just adjusting. The best part was, the fever was less severe today. Still having major fatigue and fogginess issues, but without that flu like fever feeling it's much easier to handle. Can't wait to start feeling alive again. Been a long time coming. 2 weeks down a lifetime to go! Thanks for the help.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Day 13 and you feel like crap on a cracker? Yeah, that's perfectly normal... depending on how long you've abused alcohol, it takes TIME, absolute craploads of mother effing TIME to get better!!!