Notices

Hospital visits/health issues caused by your drinking?

Old 09-13-2016, 07:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hospital visits/health issues caused by your drinking?

I've been enjoying some of these reflection threads that have been popping up lately about the hells we have been through, and a reminder to never go back to that.
I think one common thing many of us have experienced is ER/hospital visits, and health issues caused by the booze.
In my case I have been to the ER twice. First time I had a sharp pain in my abdomen that I thought was my liver giving out or a pancreatitis.
I had some blood taken to check my organs, I hate needles, so I look away and flinched, then the nurse comments "oh this is nothing, you take shots of rum every day!" I didn't find it funny. Also had the doc put his finger in my butt to check if there was any blood in my stool which added insult to injury. Luckily in the end everything was OK, it just had some IBS or other minor issue.
Visit #2 I went to the urgent care as my stomach was really swollen and I was having trouble breathing. The doc there said she felt fluid in my stomach, likely ascites, and I needed to go to the ER right away. I start freaking out, GF at the time crying,.. Get a full check over, ultrasound, bloodwork, luckily it came back as I just had bronchitis and the bloating was from IBS (or the booze) though I did have a fatty liver which was scary.
Throw on top of that at least 2 trips to the urgent care as I thought I was dying from palpitations, also dodged a bullet with it just being anxiety both times.

Boozing isn't fun, that's for sure,...
Old 09-13-2016, 07:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stopping drinking is a big step in taking care of our health.

There are some good books on anxiety in the Book List sticky on this forum.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I've been to the ER during withdrawals and would agree that it's an experience I never want to have again. And thankfully I have a choice in the matter!
Old 09-13-2016, 07:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes forward12 drinking throws our whole system out . I swore my hair even hurt at one point .
Old 09-13-2016, 08:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have too many hospital stories to share. It is truly amazing that I am alive after what I have put my body through, let alone that I am healthy. I wouldn't recommend pushing the envelope to anyone like I did.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Does breaking my nose because I was drunk and fell on it count? :/
Old 09-13-2016, 09:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, I got hospitalized a couple years ago with a BAC of .36. Amazingly, my body didn't shut down or anything. People were just worried about me. I checked out a few hours later and bought another 12 pack. Yep.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I Just Keep Coming Back

Oh yes the hospital visits. Last year, I was hospitalized during Christmas for pancreatitis. Then recently, I went to the ER six times in two weeks. I thank God I have no other medical issues. The inflamed pancreas I hope never comes back.

Alcohol well take us out one way or the other. Whether it's a medical issue, an injury, or just simply going insane. I'm thankful God have me another chance at sobriety
Old 09-13-2016, 09:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thankfully, I never ended up in the ER or had serious health issues because of my drinking, but it would have eventually happened if I had kept drinking.

This thread is a good reminder of why I stopped and why I will do what's necessary to stay sober.