Notices

Football Without Booze!

Old 09-12-2016, 07:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Football Without Booze!

Ok, so my first kickoff football week sober has come and gone. I was very happy that I was able to remember all the games, scores, and not pass out by the afternoon games. Yet another, "I don't know how I am going to get through this without beer" moment has come and gone. I quit in Oct of last year so I had already done some football without booze, but that was pretty early in my recovery and I was a bit concerned that old habits would rear their ugly head. That was not the case and I am guessing I feel better than a lot of people out the this morning who "enjoyed" themselves...ha!

Just stopping in to say hi!
Old 09-12-2016, 07:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I really enjoy watching football a lot more without booze. I also really enjoy not having "football hangovers" on Mondays.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I take my 2 boys to football or soccer as it's known in the states, I've very rarely drank there over the last few years, even through my darkest alcohol days due to having the kids with me.

Having said that though, before I had the kids, drinking was a massive part of my Saturday afternoon footballing session. Sometimes we used to go to the matches but didn't even see any of the football because we were stuck down in the concourse drinking throughout the match :/
Old 09-12-2016, 04:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hangover free sports are the best!!

Check out our NFL thread C23 for Week 2, everyone welcome is welcome!!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...2016-17-a.html
Old 09-13-2016, 01:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Football and booze are nearly synonymous. Thankfully, I rarely drank while watching football, so watching the games sober isn't an issue for me. But I certainly understand why it is an issue for many newly sober fans.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love my football ... Australian Rules football, that is ... there's literally no other game like it

I quit drinking before the season started and I was worried about watching footy sober or getting triggered, but I needn't have. There's nothing better than hitting the gym and getting errands out of the way early on a Saturday (not hungover), and then settling down on the sofa to relish an afternoon game. I'm going to miss footy season when it ends!
Old 09-13-2016, 04:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well it's Tuesday morning and we all know the results of last night's game. As a Redskins fan I could say I have many reasons to drink if I wanted to make excuses. So what did I do last night? I went to an AA meeting for the first half and got home in time to see the horrible end of the game. Oh well.

The positives. No hangovers here.... and no more RG3.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I always smile, when I read ' football without booze' - try 'Childbirth without pain relief'
Old 09-13-2016, 10:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for this. This is my first time being sober during football season.