Notices

Thoughts of drinking

Old 09-10-2016, 05:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thoughts of drinking

I'll have 3 months on September 13.

The past few days I've had major warning signs .. dreaming about drinking ... imagining myself drinking ... anti drinking mindset I had been creating getting weaker ...

I have gotten a full time job, gotten a new apartment, girlfriend is living with me again.

Drinking would be the most ridiculous thing I could do.

I'm fine for today .. so you don't have to talk me out of drinking or anything .. I just am noticing the signs and the building up to a drink and it scares me.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thoughts won't hurt you, it's only if you act on the thoughts that will.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

You're recognizing it which is a good start Volshen!

These feelings pass. The more you do to overcome them until they do the stronger you'll get. The stronger you get the less those feelings will surface.

Do you have a plan in place so you'll continue to do that?
Old 09-10-2016, 05:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've noticed from reading around the site, that every milestone seems to bring cravings. Get through to the 14th and I'm sure things will get a lot easier again ☺
Old 09-10-2016, 05:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
sober style

I wouldn't even think of it as "building up to a drink", you give it legitimacy that way. You're in control, not this vague unease you're feeling. Just know that you're not gonna drink no matter what. It's a done deal.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

^^Agree. We can't control thoughts as they come- but we can practice STOPPING them in their tracks.

What is your program? Meetings? I had to make extra sure I went to a couple more around 90 and the week of 6months I went to one every day. I was a little hyped up about hitting 6mo, and wanting extra "protection" even though it wasn't drinking I was thinking about, just general excitement (in the BB sense).

Play the tape through- you've got a lot going on, but it sounds like GOOD goings on. I know that if I stop and think - "every single thing in my life is better now, even the stressful stuff" - I can acknowledge and appreciate that simple fact and keep on going!

You can do it. Keep posting
Old 09-10-2016, 05:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

for me i dont take drinking dreams as a warning sign. i cant control what i dream about.
what they are for me are great reminders why i stopped drinking.

the anti drinking mindset getting weaker, otoh, would be a concern. that would be the start of a relapse for me.

i have had times,even years sober, that ive thought about drinking. give me a mower and a warm summer day and an ice cold beer comes into thought.
ive got my past to remind me and the time it takes a drink to get from my lips to my stomach my past WILL become my future.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah to me thoughts on drinking is a big warning sign to me. For me, when I have had slips/relapses in the past, they ALL started as thoughts. Ive been told a relapse happens way before that glass touches my lips or the wine/liquor goes down my throat.

That being said, its what we do with the thoughts I think that count. Personally I kept them to myself, romantized and entertained them, mulled them over, talked to myself about them, tried to talk myself out of them, denied to myself that they were there etc etc.

Good on you that you are SHARING them! Not keeping the secrets or keeping them in your own head is the key I think. Do you have anyone in real life that you could also share them with, will add even more accountability to the situation.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Thoughts won't hurt you, it's only if you act on the thoughts that will.
Bingo.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Spiritual development always helps to ameliorate the thoughts or ideations of doing the next wrong thing for me. If I am not in spiritually fit condition I am at risk. Today the good news is the condition is recognizable.

How one chooses to define spiritual is up to them - I use it in broadest terms possible.

When we turn the lights on the monster isn't really scary...........
Old 09-10-2016, 08:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Catch 22

I am also there. I really imagine drinking an ice cold beer. And beer was not even my drink of choice but that is what I want now. Fortunately I have delicious Aloe Vera juice in the fridge and that is almost as good as the imaginery beer.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Never hurts to go back and read your first few posts, at times like these x
Old 09-10-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
AA Member

once i was regularly attending meetings my thoughts and actions about drinking ceased

God bless

Old 09-10-2016, 08:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
Never hurts to go back and read your first few posts, at times like these x
I have done this several times. Also, play the tape through and think about he next morning and how you would waking up hungover.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Volshen keep doing the good work that has brought you to 3 months drinking offers nothing
Old 09-10-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Did you end up stopping going to AA Volshen?
just wondering what you put in its place?

D
Old 09-10-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You have made amazing progress. Seriously. Guard that!! That "drink" will take it all away
Old 09-11-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I did stop going to A.A

I had been reading a lot of recovery material and really keeping my mind strong against drinking. I moved into this new apartment a week ago and have been busy and stressed. I think the stress has brought the stronger drinking thoughts.

I'm going to have to get excited again about being sober .. because that has made it a lot easier.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

Trust me stick with it bud my worst day sober is better than my best day drunk if you ever need to chat vent some stress whatever always know were here in your corner V
Old 09-11-2016, 03:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's hard to be excited 365 days a year, year in year out. The novelty wears off, and that feeling of reward is often harder to find.

That's why I really push the plan idea:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D