Notices

A month sober and no chip...

Old 08-31-2016, 01:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation A month sober and no chip...

I don't know if anyone is out there, but I have 31 days sober. I don't know if I'm going to make it forever, but I am taking it one day at a time (sounds like a slogan, but true). I am happy that at least I didn't spend the last 30 days with a hangover. It's kind of funny really, I'm so pleased and proud of having made it this far that my crazy brain whispers,"Why don't you have a drink to celebrate?" I'd laugh it wasn't so insane.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You should get your 30-Day chip, you earned it. I'm on day 19 and shooting for 30. Are you doing AA?
Old 08-31-2016, 01:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Pthway Congratulations on 31 days

The AV is a malicious liar good looking out & know you have found a great source of recovery here @ SR
Old 08-31-2016, 01:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations Pthway and Cwood

I am also happy for both of you.

I only 7 days sober
Everyday gets better with sobriety. I am so grateful for each day that I choose not to drink.

Take care
Old 08-31-2016, 01:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your milestone pthway. I'm glad you joined us, and hope you post some more

D
Old 08-31-2016, 02:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pthway11 View Post
I don't know if anyone is out there, but I have 31 days sober. I don't know if I'm going to make it forever, but I am taking it one day at a time (sounds like a slogan, but true). I am happy that at least I didn't spend the last 30 days with a hangover. It's kind of funny really, I'm so pleased and proud of having made it this far that my crazy brain whispers,"Why don't you have a drink to celebrate?" I'd laugh it wasn't so insane.
I've only been to AA a couple of times over the years, but my first time, a very kind lady picked me up and took me and dropped me back home. Like an idiot I declared 'Thanks SO much, I'll have to get you a bottle of wine to say thanks' Luckily she saw the funny side of it.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mr

Well done.
Give us an update tomorrow
ODAAT
Old 08-31-2016, 02:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Exclamation

Thank you all for your replies. I'm not going to AA, but I do read the big book. Don't want to run into anyone I know. I am happy to have these 31 days. I'm grateful, just a little scared. But that's life, right?
Old 08-31-2016, 03:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations! I am also so very thankful to have 31 days today!

Lets keep this going, as you said, One Day at a Time!
Old 08-31-2016, 03:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your replies. I'm not going to AA, but I do read the big book. Don't want to run into anyone I know. I am happy to have these 31 days. I'm grateful, just a little scared. But that's life, right?
I understand. I live in a village and even though AA has landed here and everyone goes to AA for the same reason, you have to be here generations, to be classed as a 'local'. Outsiders such as myself, are generally the brunt of gossip - what they don't know, they invent, type of thing. Much easier to come onto SR than risk the entire village knowing
Old 08-31-2016, 03:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
EndGame

Well, why don't you?

I'm not suggesting that you drink. It's a good question that deserves your attention. Your answers can be both instructive and motivational. The longer you stay sober and continue to work on making meaningful changes in your life, the less you'll need to think about why you're not drinking.

It no longer occurs to me that drinking is a good thing, or that it could make anything better. And I've acknowledged something I've always known but rejected in order continue drinking, but only after I got honest with myself and put down the drink: It never was, nor will it ever be, a good thing to drink.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome.

Good job on a month- keep going.

I will just say two things -
"One day at a time" IS a slogan. One that sometimes grates, but one that works. Trite is OK. Because .... it works. That really is all you have to focus on - today, even the next five minutes.

AND. Going to AA at the "risk" of embarrassment, etc is worth your sobriety. Everything and anything....worth "sacrificing" to be sober. You have to focus on you, and being sober - first. Worldly opinion, which includes those of any loved ones, is distant after that.

Good luck.

And- here's a pic (and you could always order yourself a chip each time you hit a milestone ) - 1 Month AA Tokens, 1 Month Recovery Coins, 30 Day Sobriety Chips
Old 08-31-2016, 07:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
totfit

Congratulations. At a month sober, there are a lot of folks whose brains tell them to "celebrate". Thing is, what we have to realize is that being sober is celebrating. That is the reality. The lie is that drinking might be celebrating, when the reality there is that it is just the same old "stuff". If you are like me there is no celebration in drinking. It is all a lie.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think feeling grateful and a little scared and one month sober is good. You're doing great and the little bit of fear will remind you how precious your recovery is.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
AA Member

i was taught that its my responsibility to show up to a meeting and get a chip so that the guy with 12 days sober can see thats it is possible to get 30 days

the guy with 12 days may not relate to someone picking up a 12 year or 30/ 40/ 50 + year chip

Old 08-31-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day 31 is fantastic!!
Old 08-31-2016, 12:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your first month.

The other book that is worth getting hold of is the little 'Living Sober' one (you can get it from Amazon ). And the speaker recordings are also very very good. 5500+ AA Speakers & Tapes - Organized & Mobile-Friendly!

PS If you ran into someone you know, they'd be there for the same reason as you are.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

A month is Fandabadoozy
Old 08-31-2016, 12:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
I understand. I live in a village and even though AA has landed here and everyone goes to AA for the same reason, you have to be here generations, to be classed as a 'local'. Outsiders such as myself, are generally the brunt of gossip - what they don't know, they invent, type of thing. Much easier to come onto SR than risk the entire village knowing
THIS.
My village has well over 100.00 people, but it's the same story.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Awe I'm so happy for you! Good going. One month is GREAT!
That's what I'm headed for right now, and looking forward to it.