Finally Progress

Old 08-27-2016, 04:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally Progress

So thankful for Alanon. Went to a meeting tonight and as I was sharing I realized how far I still have to go. I have been on one of the crazy cycles with AH. His is promising that tomorrow is the new sobriety date and blah blah blah. So many empty promises and new starts that I don't even believe the words while he is saying them.

But I was sharing and I realized that I can chose whether I get on the ride or not. When he started his quacking about how much he wants to be sober and how "this time is different" I realized that despite the fact that is possible that I don't have to play the game. I can go to a meeting and allow myself to be let down time and time again.

Many of you have shared with me and one message rings true here as well as in the rooms. Recovery looks like recovery. When someone is putting in the work then there are obvious signs of that. And I have finally learned to tune out those words and listen to the actions. I used to get so wrapped up in the detective work and the trying to figure everything out and it just made me crazy. Now I realize that I am a wife, not a PI so I act like it.

I am grateful today for the progress I have made. Its sad that there are so many of us that have the same "condition" however I am thankful to be a part of such an awesome and wise group. We are troopers and I think we should do something this evening to give ourselves a little treat.

I am making some French fries and watching a little Netflix .......not a big party but its my kind of night.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

You sound like you have come a long way, and yes, Al-anon has a way of helping us get off the crazy train and back on the track of inner peace and healing.

After years and years of merry-go-round insanity, it was my meetings that finally gave me my balance and sanity back. I will forever be grateful for those who went before me and gave me so freely, what they had...serenity and a life worth living.

Hugs
Old 08-28-2016, 03:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes ann. Much gratitude for those who can share ESH. It is saddening that there are so many who have gone before and many who will follow.

May we all discover our places of peace and serenity
Old 08-28-2016, 06:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Happy to hear!

I had a milestone moment myself a few months ago, when I told my Dad I wasn't going to "check up" on my sister when he wasn't around. Basically my way of telling him, "Let her stay there at your own risk" lol. Always good to acknowledge progress.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes that is great. Its nice not to have the need to play detective or check up. I know its hard and detachment is never easy but its a big weight off of the shoulders.

I have been on this forum for almost 3 years now and I totally get that we need to vent and talk things out. But just as much we should celebrate our victories as well.

There is so much experience and strength around here and once in a while its good to hear something positive.

Hang in there and prayers to your family.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Can't say enough good stuff about Al-Anon. Groups have helped so many people find serenity. Peace.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I played detective so much in the beginning I remember my son saying Stop looking at my eyes you cant even talk to me anymore like im a human. It was awful and it made me physically sick. Till I came here and to the rooms in my town that I learned to step back and give him the space to work out his recovery. hugs to you ! Your doing well