Notices

I'm such a useless waste of space.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

I'm such a useless waste of space.

I'm having a really difficult time of it lately and have just cured today's hangover with 2 litres of strong cider. I really want this to stop and get back to how I was before.....
But the local shop is open for another 6 hours or so ......
Old 08-23-2016, 06:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The local shop is open but you have a choice to buy alcohol or not. Hendrix, get rid of anything you have left and get outside, walk, listen to music, enjoy nature and get your mind on to recovery. I know it's hard when things seem bleak, but you can get through the problems with the help of your recovery.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

I'm sitting outside in the sun listening to an audiobook for inspiration....
Old 08-23-2016, 06:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

What is the book about - and what kind of inspiration are you seeking?
Old 08-23-2016, 07:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh boy can I relate to how you are feeling right now, probably like a complete failure right? Yeah I know, the self loathing and despair we put ourselves through is just horrible.
What I did the last time I felt that way, before I finally stopped drinking is, I started to write ALL of the ways my life was a mess because of alcohol. I couldnt believe how long that list was! Putting it on paper helped me to have the conviction to make the final choice to be DONE!
Mybe try that? Never know it might help you too, God knows no amount of the poison is going to get rid of the way you feel, sobriety will though buddy!
Old 08-23-2016, 07:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm sure you're already aware of this, but I can't help myself from stating the obvious... The only cure for a hangover is water, rest, and time. Hard cider just delays the hangover by a couple hours.

Psych yourself up for a crappy day and stop pouring the poison into your body. Take the hangover you are due and get past it. Rip the bandaid off.

Inspirational books is a fantastic idea and can be very helpful. I also found using YouTube for motivational hypnosis audio very very effective. Listen over and over again.

Have it in your mind that you just need to not drink for today. Or just for the hour. Heck, make the decision your not drinking for the next minute.

I watched a video the other day of somebody who survived being suck in the wild with a broken back, hip, and legs. He had two choices, lie there and die, or move. He grabbed a rock, reached out as far as he could and drew a line. He decided to make the decision to die or live on the other side of that line. Once he dragged his feet over that line, he made the decision to draw another one. He did that for 7 miles.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
I'm having a really difficult time of it lately and have just cured today's hangover with 2 litres of strong cider. I really want this to stop and get back to how I was before.....
(((Hendrix))). If this hopeless alcoholic can manage to get and stay sober for 16 days, you can do it too. I also often killed my hangover with more booze. Sometimes staying lit for 48-72 hours at a time. Rarely going more than 6-8 hours without a drink. I got tired of alcohol running and ruining my life. And I stopped. It wasn't easy, but it was simple. I didn't drink. Had the shakes, horrible anxiety, and still struggle with insomnia but the other stuff didn't last too long. I feel worlds better today. You deserve to feel better too...
Old 08-23-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Believe me, I know it's always like a sigh of relief once I know I'm past the point that the liquor stores are closed... Keeping distracted as much as possible is key. I always hated exercising, but I try to do it when the urges are at their worst... it's been a huge help - natural endorphins, is that what that's called? Plus it's like killing 2 birds, getting healthier from 2 different angles. Good luck, you got this!
Old 08-23-2016, 07:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

At some point I had to get off the drinking merry-go-round, drinking then hangover then drinking then hangover was a routine I followed for years, don't let alcohol waste any more of your time.

Draw a line under your drinking once again, pour what's left out and take back the control and say no more!!

You can do this Hendrix!!
Old 08-23-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Hendrix,

You can change this if you really want to. All of us here were in a similar situation not long ago, and yet here we are.

First few days will be tricky, but afterwards life starts changing. That guitar in your picture can be of great help, mine surely was and still is.

You can do this.
P
Old 08-23-2016, 07:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Lots of good advice here Hendrix and I can't add much more. But if you want to stop you got to stop. That's the only way it works.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have struggled with the "useless waste of space" thing throughout my life. When I was partying, I just got drunk or high to bury the feeling, but it's not so easy to escape during sobriety. And I don't know if it will ever go away. I find that journal writing for 20 to 40 minutes without a break is a good way to get to some of the deep beliefs that are bringing me down.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I used to run from hangovers and run from withdrawal by drinking more.

It never worked. I realized that eventually I'd either have to get sober or keep drinking myself to death...
Old 08-23-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hendrix you are not useless nor a waste of space. We are all here for a reason. Many of us have felt that way and completely hopeless. Change your inner dialogue and love yourself. We all have our struggles and shortcomings but that does not make us bad people. You deserve to love yourself and have freedom. You can do this. Make the choice, make a plan and take some action.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You are NOT a useless waste of space! That kind of notion is coming from the enemy of your soul, your AV or something else. Maybe you are just in a funk. I think it's GREAT you are soaking in some sun and listening to inspiring things. Keep that up. We're here too and we always have your back. You can do this, Hendrix; you've got this. Tell yourself that over and over again until you truly believe. Don't give in and don't give up.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
I'm sorry your feeling this way. Your really not a waste of space. It's good you want to change. Were all in this with you.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Weird I was thinking about you about an hour ago

Hendrix you need to stay accountable you can do this brother
Old 08-23-2016, 01:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well....you might be wasting the space you're in but that's a behaviour and not you're being. Is their a better use of one's time than sitting in the sun getting blotto...again? Yes there is.

Are you interested in finding out? That's the big question. We gotta want sobriety. I was holding my wee infant nephew the other day and he started to fuss. And oh my did the little soul start to squirm and wail for his mom. But too be honest is was somewhat amusing. His mom looked over at me as I was chuckling looking at this writhing child and said " ya, he's not really committed is he?"

To be real and authentic, you gotta commit. I did yesterday. Come on back Hendrix.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hendrix...you are not a waste of space. I can relate to the way you're feeling tho...Trust me...I have felt that way too many times to count. I'm sure We have all felt that way. You have to make that choice to never want to feel that way again..I know how hard the first few days can be...all I wanted to do was go get another bottle of booze but I knew that was only going to make everything worse...booze was the culprit to 99% of my problems. I had to stop or eventually it was going to kill mentally and physically. I was drinking heavily.. Half a bottle of vodka a night-at 5'3 116pounds that's a sh*t ton of poison flowing through my body...I'm so thankful I'm still alive. I'm in the early stages day 9 for me, I can promise you that everything gets better...hang in there...Make the choice to stop...we're all here for you. You got this. You can do it!!
Old 08-23-2016, 10:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You can do this Hendrix! Check in on the 24 hour thread tomorrow and start committing to one day at a time!

Do you have any sort of recovery plan in mind?