Notices

Teenage son addicted to marijuana

Old 08-17-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Teenage son addicted to marijuana

My son is 17 and we have been trying to work through his marijuana use. It started 2 years ago when he was caught on school campus with the intent to sale marijuana. I never saw it coming or had a hint of suspicion...and since that day it has been a battle. Every post I have read is hitting home with what addicts do and say. For the first time it has hit me that my son is an addict.

Yelling, tantrums, running away, hateful words, stealing, lack of responsibility, lack of drive to do anything - he done it all

Two days ago I placed him in inpatient drug rehab (because we tried everything else and it failed).

I came to this site because when I see him tomorrow for the first time I am struggling on what to say. I expect he is going to want me to take him out...that is what the therapist has said he will likely do. Most kids do.

What do I say? Any words of wisdom?
Old 08-17-2016, 09:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA Member

the classic recovery suggestion is that you can go to alanon meetings which are for the loved ones of alcoholics/ addicts

God bless
Old 08-17-2016, 11:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Unless he's ready to quit and do the work himself, unfortunately, you're wasting your time and money. I hope you've found the friends and family section. There are a lot of good people there and great advice. Alanon is a good place to get face to face support.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi khicks and welcome

I have no experience here so I've not got much to suggest. Let him know he's loved but, also, that your resolve is firm on this.

I hope your son realises he's there for his own good and that it all goes well.

You should also check out our Family and Friends forums here for another avenue of support.

Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 08-18-2016, 10:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Khicks!!