Notices

Just when you think you're good...

Old 08-14-2016, 10:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just when you think you're good...

You fall off the wagon. I had been doing very well for a while....but when the family picked up and went on vacation, I had the house to myself. I thought oh, I'll just pick up beer, nothing hardcore. I tricked myself into thinking it was okay. Then I found myself picking up more beer, and then again more beer. Coming down from a 3 day binge, and I don't even know how I got myself here. Now, I have to get myself to work, with all sorts of withdrawal and anxiety. Have to explain why I missed Friday's work day. Debating to have a beer to settle me, which I KNOW is not a good thing. I guess it's just time to face the music. I hope today goes fast, but it never does when you are coming down. I need to figure out a better plan to prevent this.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me I needed daily support to keep me focused on the task at hand.

Tweak your plan, the main thing is what was lacking in your plan before you picked up that beer, asking for support, talking it out, playing that tape, theses are all things that will get you over the line the next time.

You can do this!!
Old 08-14-2016, 10:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you. Yes, it is insipid, isn't it, how that chemical reaction of justification and denial works together.

Sounds like you do know how you got here. It sounds very much ho I get myself there. You said you tricked yourself.

I think that tricking yourself thing is something most of us have in common.

Take care of you.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Ok.. Dust yourself off and get back in the race.
What was it exactly that made you drink ?
We've all been there... You are now in control !
Stay strong today.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I learned that a drink is a drink is a drink. It doesn't matter if it is beer or liquor. This alcoholic can't put anything alcoholic in to her body because I will ALWAYS want more and it will ALWAYS end in disaster.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I too learned long ago I simply can't pick up, sip, try or touch anything with alcohol. The better half and I just returned from our two weeks vacation, one of our day trips was to a fruit farm, they made a host of award winning hard ciders, I almost took a sample without thinking, it can happen so fast and easy.

The good news is we can always start again, as mentioned tweak our plan and carry on to enjoy life.

Andrew
Old 08-14-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What's done is done. Lesson learned and hopefully get back on the wagon.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had a similar experience recently. Was doing well, suddenly had the house for myself, bought two beers and said that would be it, then went and got more but stopped myself from drinking them.

The conclusion is that it doesn't matter how many you plan to have, for us there are only two modes: either no drinks at all or as many as possible. it's been easier to ignore my head's tricks by seeing it this way, hope
It helps you too.

P
Old 08-14-2016, 05:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

30 days after me detox my Guy left for the weekend to visit his mom 4 hrs. away. I had a lapse (wow, did I pay for that one evening!). Being suddenly alone can be a powerful trigger. Maybe you could visit a friend or just window shop or anything to get out and about?
In my case, sadly, I think I did it in part to "punish" him for leaving me alone, still sick and pretty helpless. Well, I just ended up punishing myself
Old 08-14-2016, 05:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great ideas here AllTooWell.

If your sobriety is dependent on others being around you I think you need a better plan?

any ideas?

D
Old 08-14-2016, 05:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have been watching a lot of Olympics. This weekend, Mo Farah won the gold medal for Great Britain in the 10,000 meter race. It was an inspiring, thrilling victory.

Oh, and in case you missed it, Farah fell down halfway through the race, got right back up, and won the race in spite of his stumble.

Something to think about.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firstymer View Post
I have been watching a lot of Olympics. This weekend, Mo Farah won the gold medal for Great Britain in the 10,000 meter race. It was an inspiring, thrilling victory.

Oh, and in case you missed it, Farah fell down halfway through the race, got right back up, and won the race in spite of his stumble.

Something to think about.
Very well said firstymer!
Old 08-14-2016, 06:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree...... Start over right now! Get up and keep going.