Notices

Weight Loss

Old 08-05-2016, 03:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weight Loss

Is it possible that it takes 45+ days to notice a change in weight after quitting alcohol? I had loss 13 pounds on a low carb / Keto diet this year before going sober on 6/18/16. I figured I was drinking approximately 500+ calories a day in alcohol. With this I figured I would easily lose more weight. Not so until this week. This week, all of a sudden, I dropped 3+ pounds and really feel the difference.

So...did it take anyone else 45+ days to start noticing a weight loss?
Old 08-05-2016, 03:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It took me 90 days to start losing weight on one of my quits but I was endulging in any food that wet my appetite. This last quit I watched what I ate and dropped 20lbs in 30 days. I think it ties into how hard we drank what we eat in sobriety and how our bodies recover. Either way it will happen.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

I put on weight at first as I was underweight but good on you for losing weight
Old 08-05-2016, 05:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I lost about 15 lbs initially. Less calories and more energy for exercise took me down another 15. Went from 245 down to 215.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am at 60 plus days and still have not lost . I guess with some people it just takes a while. I drank heavily for 30 plus years so I know it will not happen fast.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks

Originally Posted by skipper123 View Post
I am at 60 plus days and still have not lost . I guess with some people it just takes a while. I drank heavily for 30 plus years so I know it will not happen fast.
I drank for 40+ years. Not heavy but steady and agree it will take time. I'm just glad it has somewhat started.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats

Originally Posted by skipper123 View Post
Congrats on your 60 plus days!
Old 08-05-2016, 09:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ha. I ate all the ice cream in early recovery. I didn't start trying to reel in my sugar consumption until I hit about six months.

I've lost the weight I needed to lose. It happens when it happens.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I'm at 146 days and haven't really lost any weight. Everyone is different.

Congrats on your continued sobriety!
Old 08-05-2016, 01:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Depends on so many factors, weight can fluctuate so wildly. You have to watch out the 500~ calories you used in alcohol you aren't now eating in food if you wanna lose weight.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Originally Posted by JamesfrmEngland View Post
Depends on so many factors, weight can fluctuate so wildly. You have to watch out the 500~ calories you used in alcohol you aren't now eating in food if you wanna lose weight.
I always got the drunk munchies. Also, i was working out when i was drinking. When i quit, the work out intensity increased....calorie intake went down...lost 30+ lbs.

Thanks.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JamesfrmEngland View Post
Indeed, SO many factors, and no two bodies function the same. Heck, the many variations in answers suggest to me that the original question (which we all want answered) really can't be. Metabolism, activity, calorie -in-&-out, and factors we don't even know about yet. Myself? I find a little bit of hunger stimulating and energizing until I feel my blood sugar drop. Then I eat something sensible that works for me. Weight stays in a good/excellent range. When I stopped drinking my weight took a dive. But then I was sick and my appetite disappeared. Later I did not feel a desire to compensate with sweets since I gave them up loooong ago. Listen to your body. Cravings tell us things. Personally, I think serious good-carb restriction is dangerous. If you crave them, eat nutritious oatmeal, rice, good bread. If I have a wine-craving I eat sardines. Weird, but WORKS.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i'm hoping not - but kinda expecting not to start losing lbs right away - i feel like the body is all out of wack after all the alcohol - the liver is a very important organ that does a few things for the body...so maybe when the liver starts to heal the lbs start to go
Old 08-06-2016, 11:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by try2again View Post
i'm hoping not - but kinda expecting not to start losing lbs right away - i feel like the body is all out of wack after all the alcohol - the liver is a very important organ that does a few things for the body...so maybe when the liver starts to heal the lbs start to go
That is SO sensible and, in many cases not known. Yes, our livers have so much to do when it comes to helping process what we drink/eat.
You reminded me why I had to be on a liquid diet for two weeks then take it slow for a month. After eating I felt SICK for 3-4 hours. Not nauseous. I could tell that my organs & digestive system simply did not know what to do anymore. My body had to re-learn how to support me. Takes a lot patients. Good Post!
Old 08-06-2016, 11:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gatorman View Post
I drank for 40+ years. Not heavy but steady and agree it will take time. I'm just glad it has somewhat started.
I am at 71 days and have not lost any weight. I am bummed about this, especially since I used to pig out late at night when I was wasted, and have stopped doing that.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I also figured I'd lose because i wasn't doing my Drunken Gourmet episodes. Yes, this is exactly what my husband used to call me. I'd look in the fridge, see three things that looked appealing and couldn't make a decision. So all three would go into a frying pan with butter, salt, and pepper. Not that I remembered any of it.

However, Ben and Jerry haven't been helping either since I've quit. I've made a firm commitment and started exercising and staying away from the sugar. I'm patient so I'm not going to stress about it and will see where this leaves me in two months.