Notices

fear - and fearing being fearful

Old 07-22-2016, 04:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

fear - and fearing being fearful

I've been reflecting on how my fear/anxiety has been an ongoing issue since grade school. I'm wondering if that part of my emotional make up had set me up for problem drinking - how I've "coped" with life. Drinking away my anxiety stopped working a long time ago but somehow I didn't realize that until I had a full blown problem.

I also think shame about my drinking problem has kept me in this vicious cycle. But it's time to be honest with myself and put a stop to this madness. I've finally hit the point that I want to stop drinking more than a drink. One day at a time.

Does anyone else struggle with anxious thoughts and if so, how did you create a better internal self talk?
Old 07-22-2016, 04:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA Member

sounds like we're the same

after high school i got an apartment by myself closed the drapes and spent 11 years trying to drink myself to death

mostly due to selfish self centered fear

you aint alone

Old 07-22-2016, 04:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I feel as though I'm the same too. And also didn't realize it until I was too far gone or maybe even until I quit drinking. I don't know that I've been able to actually tell myself "this is not scary" or "you have nothing to fear" and ever have it work very well. I can't talk myself out of anxiety really when I get anxious. Stopping drinking has done tremendous help as far as my anxiety goes now. I know it's the only way for me to feel "somewhat normal" (whatever that means) but more like I imagine others may be feeling. My mindset is..... This is who I am.... And if I made it through detox and the heavy, heavy withdrawal panic and anxiety, I'll make it through this..... Wishing you the best with yours.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Meditation has helped me a lot with anxiety, in terms of noticing the kinds of thoughts I have, not just while I'm meditating, but throughout the day, and seeing them for what they are: just thoughts, not necessarily true. In fact most of the imaginary scenarios that my mind dreams up are absolutely false, and will never occur in real life. It helps to remember this. Our anxious daytime fantasies are no more real than nightmares, really
Old 07-22-2016, 07:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh dear. I was just thinking much the same, then saw your thread. I've reached a point where paranoia about my past bad choices is preventing me from making new ones. I'm terrified of making the wrong step, because so many of them led me to such disasters. Anxiety is such a monster
Old 07-22-2016, 09:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't believe everything you think.

Thoughts are not facts. But we certainly treat them as if they were. We create anxiety, fear and stress for ourselves because we believe that just because we think something, it's true or it will become true. Not so.

I learned this philosophy while in rehab and I try to apply it when I feel my chest tightening and fear/anxiety taking hold. It really does help.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Have you ever read the Big Book of AA? I didn't think anyone understood how I felt until I read that. Then I realised that pretty much every alcoholic in the world knows that anxiety, the fear, the resentments, the feeling of being adrift and different from everyone else. Alcoholics are very fear driven people, and alcohol is wonderful for a while because it puts the fearful thoughts on mute for a bit. But then when we sober up, that fear gets blasted at 100 decibels so it vibrates through every fibre of out being. As we work on our recovery we learn to live without the mute switch, but also we don't get the tortuous full-volume fear either. Instead, we learn to deal with our feelings. And life. And people. And our own defects. Things will get better, as long as you work on your recovery (please don't white-knuckle this or that volume switch could get stuck on full volume).

Have you made a plan yet? http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-plans-2.html
Old 07-23-2016, 12:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have you spoke to a Dr ?