Notices

It's about time I stop browsing, and start posting.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Here and now

Smile It's about time I stop browsing, and start posting.

I am new to recovery, this is my first and last day one. I'm 25 and I struggle on and off with binge drinking, usually one day of the weekend, 5-8 beers sometimes more. I am just getting off a 3 day binge, which I have never done before, and due to my Health anxiety hangovers have always been terrible. I'm okay right now, just the lingering anxiety. I lead an extremely healthy lifestyle outside of the booze, it's just finally time for me. I should have dont it alot sooner.

Look forward to meeting some of you fine folk!
Old 07-18-2016, 01:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Welcome aboard. You'll find a lot of support here.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Ekohe; so glad you found us.

It is fantastic that you are seeking sobriety and recovery at such a young age. Your body, mind, soul and spirit will thank you.

You have made a wonderful decision.

Sobriety rocks.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Congrats on your decision to stop drinking. I think it is amazing that you realized it was a problem at such a young age. I am 39 and didn't start drinking until I was 32. You will find a lot of support and good advice on here.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi & nice to meet you Ekohe
Old 07-18-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Here and now

Thank you so much! I have always admired many people on here, it's taken me a while to build up the courage to post. But I am ready to change, I will be looking for AA meetings around my area. I'm just glad the withdrawal has not been to bad, Drank lots of water and rested a lot today.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and I'm glad you decided to post.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Ekohe. This is a great place for support and friendship. Yes anxiety hangovers are the worst. The rapid heartbeat restlessness feeling of dread is all common with a bad hangover for me also. Great decision to start posting keep posting and let us know how you're doing.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Here and now

Thanks for all the responses! I have to agree that the anxiety is the worst of all, for me, the physical ones are far more bearable. Heart rate is slightly elevated but no sweats, or shakes or any of the ones I have been monitoring. Just the oozing sense of dread from the anxiety. I have my brother here just in case so I am not alone. Just have to weather the storm for now!
Old 07-18-2016, 02:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ehoke - you need never go through this again! Welcome aboard and I wish you the best
Old 07-18-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome Ehoke.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

A big welcome from me too Ekohe

D

Last edited by Dee74; 07-18-2016 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so glad you posted, Ekohe. It's good that you're taking a look at what drinking does to you. I waited until I was much older & my life was in shambles. This won't happen to you. Good to have you join us. It helps to no longer be alone & to talk things over with those who care.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Ekhoe
Old 07-18-2016, 08:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
FLA

Originally Posted by Ekohe View Post
I am new to recovery, this is my first and last day one. I'm 25 and I struggle on and off with binge drinking, usually one day of the weekend, 5-8 beers sometimes more. I am just getting off a 3 day binge, which I have never done before, and due to my Health anxiety hangovers have always been terrible. I'm okay right now, just the lingering anxiety. I lead an extremely healthy lifestyle outside of the booze, it's just finally time for me. I should have dont it alot sooner.

Look forward to meeting some of you fine folk!
Same boat as you man, 24 years old and the anxiety is unbearable and making my life miserable. Question, what do you do if you don't drink? That's my problem.. Finding things to occupy the times I'm normally out at night. Sitting at home makes my anxiety worse. Good to hear from someone my age on here, hope ya stay on track 👊🏼
Old 07-18-2016, 09:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Ekohe, this is fantastic that you have made this decision early on--before it gets a lot more difficult to do. Also, it's great that you are actively monitoring yourself, and have your brother there just in case. It took me so long to figure out that the anxiety and dread and restlessness were coming from my drinking. And then of course instead of getting help to quit, I discovered that I could just drink it away.

FLA, I find that physical activity helps keep my mind away from craving a drink. If there is a sport that you enjoy, or want to try, maybe there is an evening league that you can get into. Or, going to the gym at night works well also, as long as you give yourself to "deactivate" after exercising and before bed.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome, Ekohe. Congratulations on your decision and on starting to post! It's good to see you here.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome. Glad you found us and posted, and that you've found the willingness to take steps to get sober and work on recovery.

There are plenty of AA folk on here, so if there are any questions about diffreent types of meetings or what to expect, please feel free to ask away ☺
Old 07-18-2016, 10:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi!
I'm the same as what you described xoxo
Stick around