Notices

Stuggling

Old 07-15-2016, 06:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stuggling

I'm new to this site and need the support of others with similar problems. I've just come off a 6 day binge on whisky and vodka. Each day I have woken up feeling incredibly low, so have just continued to block it out. My wife is at her wits end and this week explained to our 2 young boys that I have alcohol problems. It has also been picked up by my employer so could easily get fired if there are any more alcohol related incidents. I travel on business and missed all meetings yesterday and today. I spent the whole day in a hotel room vomiting. I don't think I've ever felt so low. At least this way will kickstart some action as I can't go on like this. My problem is that I will stay off booze for about a week, then feel better and hit the bottle again. I just want to stay off it forever as I've had enough. So has my family, friends and work. I am going to my first AA meeting tomorrow as I've tried so many times to quit and feel it is beyond me to do it alone.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! I think AA is a great thing. I highly suggest you let people know that you are new and need support. The biggest thing I have learned is that I cannot live in a vacuum...I need support and friendship in my sobriety. Simply locking myself away and not drinking would NOT work. I will say that it DOES get easier as time goes on. Not sure where you are with God but I suggest asking him to keep you away from a drink every morning and thanking him every night for a day of sobriety. Hats off to you!
Old 07-15-2016, 07:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Newsoberme. Accepting that you can't quit on your own is a huge step in the right direction. Actually, there's very little we do in life that's completely "on our own". Let us know how the AA meeting goes
Old 07-15-2016, 07:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

News,

After a week, you are about detoxed....there is no booze in your system. ....

But....that is when you feel the anxiety...the brain damage....

You are an addict.....me too....

Now you know. The anxiety quells w time....

I am 14 months clean and still have anxiety....but it is 1000x better than day 80....

Yes...day 80...the anxiety lasts a long long time....

Welcome aboard sir.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome, Newsoberme; that username is a good start!

I would like to just add that I thought my life was over when I realized I couldn't go on that way anymore.

It took some work, but I found out I was pretty wrong about that; my life really began when I got sober. For me it was like discovering a whole new world.

And hang on to this for now: You never have to feel that way again, if you don't want to.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Many thanks Bunny211 and I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. I think AA will help offer me a structure to recovery and at least lets me know I am doing something to change. I don't think I could feel any worse than I do right now. That horrible post binge guilt and self loathing. Roll on the next chapter in my new sober life.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Newsoberme.

I can sure relate to feeling better and picking up again. I'm an alcoholic, but always thought I could control my drinking. I came to the same conclusion as you. It had to stop.

Support made the difference for me. I was able to pull myself together and start my recovery journey.

I'm glad you found us, and happy to hear you're taking action. You may want to join our July thread, a day to day supportive check-in.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html

You can do this!
Old 07-15-2016, 07:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Many thanks everyone for your kind words of support. This community and AA should keep me on the straight and narrow.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome. The one week curse is very real. We think we are all better and it will be different the next time. Its not, it gets worse. We get it. Glad you found this forum, I believe you will find it tremendously helpful.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

AA did not offer the immediate information i needed to ease my anxiety. SR did.

Read and post alot.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome, NewSoberMe,

Everyone is different, but get ready for some potential withdrawal symptoms. Everyone on SR told me to be careful, but I thought I was different. I didn't end up in the hospital, but I sure went through some stuff the first three days--especially nights--sweats, tremors, shivers. It gets better with every day off alcohol. I've had a couple of slips, but I wake up every day and start all over again. It's a journey and I'm still on it.

Best wishes to you. Keep visiting, reading and posting. We can all do this together!
Old 07-15-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

NSM, keep posting as often as possible here, and check out the July newcomers thread to find others who are in the same place you are right now. It sounds like you're committed to doing something different right now. I was similar to you--binge and then take some days off, feel better and binge again. Thirty days ago, I finished a binge, and was slammed by physical withdrawal such that I've never felt before. It scared the **** out of me. I thought I was dying and it motivated me to stay straight for the longest time in years. It took that dramatic of an event to finally, FINALLY make me realize that I can never, ever pick up a drink again. I miss it, and I suspect I always will. But my family, life, job and health are simply more important.

Persevere. It could take months, but you will soon find yourself on the other side, where you're having more good days than bad. We're all here for you.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

famous last words......hah!

Seriously, you are in a good place, though the road ahead may present some sources of puzzling bewilderment, failure and anguish. All to the good if you are sincere...

Hoping that you read the old AA book. Some have indeed discovered incredibly happier and more useful satisfying living through its suggestions, and restoration to sanity, at least so far as alcohol is concerned!

Some appear to just wall themselves off away from temptation...dubious, to my alcoholic mind, even doomed perhaps?But mileage varies!
Old 07-15-2016, 09:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Deleted.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, Newsoberme, and congratulations on choosing a better way of life in sobriety!

Please let us know how your AA meeting goes. I do like to always tell people attending their first meeting to keep in mind that no two meetings are the same. If for some reason you really don't click at this meeting, don't give up. Try another one. You'll find one that clicks for you.

Wishing you the best today! Remember that as long as you don't take that first dirnk, you never have to feel this way again. This is a better way of life. I promise!
Old 07-15-2016, 10:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you
Old 07-15-2016, 12:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am really encouraged by your support and already starting to feel more positive, despite a restless night of sweating and tremors. I will visit regularly and keep you updated. Of course, I wish you all the best too and feel comforted that it is not just me facing this. I liked the comment about never having to feel like this again and just not having the first drink. I think accepting that I am an alcoholic and that I simply cannot drink responsibly will elimate some of the challenges of trying to moderate my drinking. I have proved over many years of trying that I can't do this and unless I change now then I'm pretty close to all I value going down the pan. Thanks everyone for your kind words.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Newsoberme. We're so happy to have you join us.

I felt all alone until I found SR & could talk freely about what I was going through. No one else in my life understood. I knew I could never moderate years before I quit - I caused so much damage trying to use willpower. One day I finally realized there would never be 'just one' for me, no matter how determined I was. Much easier to kick it out of our lives.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am going to my first AA meeting tomorrow as I've tried so many times to quit and feel it is beyond me to do it alone.

Been there, done that.

AA and this website were the keys to my recovery.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You have made a good start , well done. I have been there too many times and know how you feel . It gets worse if you keep drinking and the older you get the harder it gets to recover . Stopping drinking and staying stopped is as you know the only answer and can be done but find as much support as you can .
You can do it .