Notices

Got asked to speak on the 2nd step!

Old 07-10-2016, 08:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Got asked to speak on the 2nd step!

So my friend asked me to speak on the 2nd step at his group. I will be one of 3, 15-minute speakers. Anyways I am a little nervous, but not as bad as I used to be. I used to refuse doing an open talk because I was scared, but I have almost been sober for 3 years and I am a young man in sobriety. I know that I can't refuse them forever and that is the reason why I am doimg this.

Does anybody have any advice? I studied up on the 2nd step and made an outline. I have thought of the points that I want to cover. I am basically going to tell them about the 2nd step amd share my experience.

I will be speaking this upcoming Tuesday at 7:30. I don't particularly love public speaking, but I know it will get easier once I get this one out the way. I know this won't be the last time I speak.

If ya have any advice I would love to hear it!

Soberlife
Old 07-10-2016, 09:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Take a deep breath and speak openly and honestly! I'm no circuit speaker, but that's always worked for me. Don't take yourself too seriously and don't put too much pressure on yourself. Also whatever you do, do not bring that outline! Unless...do people bring outlines to meetings where you live? I remember a speaker bringing one once and I just wanted to get up in the middle of his story and give the poor nervous guy a hug!
Old 07-10-2016, 09:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Why not read through your own step 2 stuff. People can read in the books how the book says to do it. What we can't get without speakers is their experience, strength and hope. Some of the most useful speakers, I think, are the ones who allude to how the messed up with a step initially and then how they did it the right way. It's also good to hear what they feel like the step has given them. Anyway. You only have one recovery to talk about. You don't owe anyone anything else. Sometimes I can feel like my share is beyond boring. But others still seem to get something from it. Well. They said they did. Lol.

That 15 mins whizzes past. And if you stop before or slightly after that time, it doesn't matter.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Your own experience and your own understanding and application is sufficient.

As my sponsor would say - "tell the truth".

You'll do fine.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't see the problem with bringing an outline to stay on track in case I get lost. It's not like I am reading it word for word...it is going to be an outline. :-) I'll do my best to share my experience, even if it doesn't last for 15 minutes.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Ask your higher power to give you the words someone needs to hear. Breathe.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Be proud and tell your story.
Good Luck x
Old 07-11-2016, 06:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Breathe. Let what you say come from your heart. Focus your talk on the actual step--what it is was like when you first read it, what your experience was of it, and what your understanding became of it.

I also like to point out specific words from a step. I love the words "guide, companion, friend" in Step 2, as well as "infinite love and power".

I also keep it real by sharing my resistance and misunderstandings about the step, and how I overcame them.

I don't share too much on my "story", because we all have the same stories basically, and my home group likes to focus on the "solution" and not "the problem".

You might also consider meditating for a couple of minutes before you talk, to bring you into a state of peace so you can clearly share your message of recovery.

Don't worry if it's not exactly 15 minutes. When the thoughts stop, that's time to end. Don't force it. When you're in the zone of speaking, you'll find a natural stopping point.

Good luck and congratulations on being asked to speak! Enjoy your service. :-)