Notices

Almost 4 weeks and really struggling....

Old 07-01-2016, 05:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dim

Almost 4 weeks and really struggling....

Hey guys,
Haven't posted in a while but here I am almost 4 weeks out of a horror binge that lasted 5 days and included a combination of alcohol and valium. Both were consumed in excess and needless to say the week following the binge was absolutely horrible.. the 2nd and 3rd weeks were better but still unpleasant and this past week all the symptoms have seemed to come flooding back.. I have intense anxiety particularly in the morning hours and zero energy, a reduced appetite and depressive feelings almost every day.. its worth noting and I have no doubt whatsoever that personal circumstances are contributing to these feelings but i'm getting close to the end of my tether dealing with these horrible feelings every single day and not getting any relief is driving me crazy. This past week i've also started on lexapro which i'm sure is contributing to these feelings as well. I'm panicking about every alcohol related permanent injury under the sun after this binge and wondering if i'll ever feel normal again... need some words of wisdom pleaae guys. Tell me I havent done any permanent damage to my brain...

Much love x

Dim
Old 07-01-2016, 05:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Dim. Unfortunately no one here is going to be able to reassure you on the brain damage thing, a lot of what you're asking seems like questions for your doctor. I can tell you that feelings of depression and anxiety are very common in early sobriety. And we definitely lose a sense of perspective when we're under the influence of those feelings. So you may be panicking unnecessarily . But ask your doc.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Dim,

I'm sorry you are having such a rough time right now. I agree with Zenlifter that a trip to the doctor may be a good idea. Let the doctor know about your anxiety, they can help.

It really does get better with time. I am six months sober, and although life is far from perfect if is much better. I feel better physically, and mentally, and I am better able to deal with the stressors that life brings.

You don't want to start this process from day one again, hang in there. Also, try posting and reading more, it really does help.

Sending lots of love your way.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with the others that a talk with your Doc is probably the best advice that I could give. However, 4 weeks is still extremely early in sobriety and anxiety an depression are very common.

You may also want to look into PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal) if you haven't before. Reading about it really helped me to understand what I am going through in early recovery and realize most of it (though sometimes unbearable) is fairly common.

Also, do you have a good support system? If not, have you thought about AA?

It does get better with time, though so hang in there and stay close to SR!
Old 07-01-2016, 07:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The Lexapro shouldn't make you feel like this, it took about 3 weeks for it start working for me.

Excercise, diet and good rest are very important.. Even if you walk for 30 minutes at the mall..

Hang in there, great job on a month!! Huge accomplishment!! Short term your brain feels like scrambled eggs but you'll get better!! The meds will help too!! Wishing you the best!
Old 07-01-2016, 09:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am 6 weeks sober and also dealing with anxiety and low moods. The anxiety hits me in the morning too. I started an SSRI about 5 weeks ago so I expect improvements in the near future. I pretty much have just accepted the fact that I'll be miserable for a while. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and stay sober. The rest will sort itself out in time.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Dim.I am 6weeks sober.And was exactly where you are untill earlier this week.Been doing my recovery cold turkey.Finaly saw my doctor Tuesday and just articulating my concerns started to calm me.The support on here this week has been amazing.Stay close to SR.These guys are stars.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For me the anxiety and depression were always there from childhood as long as I can remember. For me I drank to survive, self medicate. I have met other people who had relatively happy childhoods and then have altered their brain chemistry though alcohol abuse. The two are worlds apart so I would be looking to see in which camp you belong then get the necessary help asap. If you are in my camp i can wait forever and a day and I won't feel better without help, all that can possibly happen is over a year or two my brain will adjust to not having alcohol and I will be right back in the place I was when I took to drink to survive. Have you thought about counselling maybe CAT or CBT based?
Old 07-03-2016, 02:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Headingtochange.Your post is all so true,regarding why we take up drinking.Hope you are doing fine.Heres something that a therapist told me many years ago.That as children we had no control as to how things were and life at home.No bad stuff is ever a childs fault.Stay strong.Your life will be so good sooner or later that those childhood memories will not be in the for front of your thinking.Take care.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Dim,

It sounds a lot like PAWS. To be honest, mine didn't fully clear until about the two-month mark. The way I look at it, is that your brain is rewiring during this time. You're no longer flooding it in a bath of depressants (great job!) and it is working hard to establish a new normal. It really does get better on the other side of PAWS, so hang in there.

Practice good self-care: go on walks, get some sunshine, eat healthily, and relax. You will make it through this. xx
Old 07-03-2016, 05:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Go to your Dr. If you haven't already and most importantly be honest with them.

Do not drink or take anymore pills or you will wind up right back at the beginning of it all.

I had a similar situation with Xanax and alcohol a year and a half ago. Every month that went by I felt better.,but the anxiety took a long time to subside to a manageable level. By six weeks I felt like I would never get better. It was really hard to stick it out but I kept going. Six months and I started noticing change but not as fast as I had hoped. Now at a year and I half I feel like a new person, I have never felt this good my entire life.

Put in the time and you will be rewarded.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GAHaley View Post

You may also want to look into PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal) if you haven't before. Reading about it really helped me to understand what I am going through in early recovery and realize most of it (though sometimes unbearable) is fairly common.
This is a great and really thorough read on PAWS - definitely my experience in nearly everything it describes.
https://www.google.com/url?hl=en&q=h...Z6nwc64BrRlmcw

You will feel better if you stay sober. I promise.

I was desperately ill when I quit in Feb. On the brink of cirrhosis - the you-will-live-a-year-to-18mos-brink. You can get better physically, mentally and emotionally- it takes time, work and not drinking.

Keep going!