Notices

My God! What have I done?

Old 06-28-2016, 04:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

My God! What have I done?

Hello folks - first off I want to apologise for being a stranger on here for so long - I only come here when I want something but that will change.

I hadn't had a drink for 18 months and was doing really well. Apart from the odd tantrum and feeling sorry for myself that I couldn't even have one cold beer with my meal watching a beautiful Greek sunset my plan was working. I was eating so healthily, my guitar playing was improving better than ever, I'd taken the plunge and left my job to become freelance and I was even getting a bit spiritual! This bitter lifelong atheist was finding truth and meaning in Buddhist philosophy.

Then last month the inevitable "F" it moment occurred. We had to put our lovely old dog to sleep and before I'd even got back to the car after leaving the vet's I had made the decision that I was going to drink that night. My AV was waiting for just such an opportunity and he played his card perfectly! Who wouldn't drink after such a sad event? I just wanted / needed to switch off. This was a culmination of a series of difficult and worrying events we've had as a family and for one night ....I wanted to hit the pause button and a shed load of lager hit the spot perfectly!

The following morning I slept in later than usual but did't feel too bad apart from a slight headache and I returned to sobriety in the mistaken belief that I'd managed to use alcohol for a purpose on a single occasion and that because so much water had gone under the bridge I'd got away with it!

You've probably guessed where this is going.... about three weeks later my AV convinced me that as I'd been ok last time it would be fine to drink for a happy reason ...and I agreed. My wife and I had a lovely evening chatting away and really talking - something that we have struggled with while I was sober and she was drinking - not alcoholically but quite regularly.
That was 5 days ago and I've been drinking ever since.
She's been away for a few days which has cleared the decks for me as it's easier to hide my drinking from my two teenagers than it is from her although they are aware...

So I need to reset the clock and get back to sobriety pretty damn quick. The speed with which the old behaviours have returned has been absolutely terrifying! I feel depressed, scared and physically awful!
I've just downloaded and am listening to Kevin O'Hara's audiobooks on audible and am now browsing here.
I know I should have been more active on here but I did have a plan - I just let my guard down. I know also that there will be advice for me to go to a meeting. I know it's well meaning and works miraculously for many but they're not for me for all sorts of valid reasons. I have tried them before but have only been successful using internet media rather than face to face - don't know why just how it is.

I plan to stop drinking and reconnect with my healthy habits but need to guard against the time when stuff seems to just build up and I need to switch off for a few hours to stop the chatter in my head. I've always used booze in the past and my AV convinced me to try it again - but it's done me ......really done me!
Thanks for reading if you've got this far
Old 06-28-2016, 04:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! Glad you're back working on sobriety again.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
I know also that there will be advice for me to go to a meeting. I know it's well meaning and works miraculously for many but they're not for me for all sorts of valid reasons.
Or not so valid, but hey, you asked for no advice about meetings. So use what works. Emphasis on "use"

Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post

I plan to stop drinking
Plan implies in the future. Don't plan. Just flat out stop.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hendrix - thank you so very much for your share! You described so well what easily could happen to me and I'm sure others reading your post! Namaste.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Drinking is the pits ,

It kills.

Glad your back at sobriety , I've learned from your experience , i hope you have to .

Bestwishes , m
Old 06-28-2016, 05:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for this topic. If it weren't for SR, a lot of us would probably entertain similar thoughts of returning to drinking. I appreciate a glimpse how quickly you can slip right back to the old habits. So thank you, truly.

Please stop drinking now and keep checking in daily, that works well. We're here
Old 06-28-2016, 05:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I feel your pain. I went 11 years "YES", 11 years and listened to my AV and slowly went back to my old self. Now, we know you can NEVER go back.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So sorry for the loss of your sweet dog. If ever there is a reason to drink, that would be it for me.
I like to listen to great AA speakers on this website:

Recoveryaudio.org

It's like going to a meeting, but available when you want.... In the car, doing housework/projects with earphones.
Good luck and thanks for sharing. It's good for all of us to see how easy a relapse is.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Welcome back.

I've got news for you - there is nothing miraculous about 12 step programs. They take a lot of work. But from one atheist to another, they do work.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

Thsnks for all your support - I wil check out Recoveryaudio.org
but I haven't quite yet got back to sobriety - just need to cure this hangover....
Old 06-28-2016, 06:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome back.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Today is a good day to stop drinking, Hendrix. I hope you join us on this recovery journey.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Stay on Sober Recovery and visit on a daily basis.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

Thanks Anna
I've no more booze on the house and don't plan on going to get any and you're right - today is a good day
Old 06-28-2016, 06:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Your "easy" return to daily drinking really spoke to me. Reading above, 11 years wasn't long enough to let down our guard; in my past, 8 years wasn't long enough; every time we allow a single episode of drinking, we open a door, just a crack, enough to let in something dark and sinister, something that obviously never goes away. Thanks for reminding me that it is never going to be okay to drink again, no matter how long it's been...I can only achieve that on a daily basis, but any thought to the contrary is deadly. I'm so glad you posted --Arp
Old 06-28-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi, thanks for sharing your experience and I have every confidence you'll get back to where you were.

Just think - you've done it once, you know what needs to be done so it's a case of cracking on and doing it. All the best
Old 06-28-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome back, and THANK YOU for this reminder! It seems like the AV simply has to "plant the seed of doubt," and the mental obsession quickly returns as though it never left.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Glad you're back Hendrix. After 17 months of sobriety I stepped back through and into the gates of hell. It was a true learning experience that it doesn't take long for your brain to get right back to the old ways of thinking. Still, I kept it up until the inevitable happened, a newer and deeper rock bottom.

I'm glad that you're recognizing what you need to do now and didn't wait to see what that was for you.

Stay close.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Hendrix and LadyBlue, while relapse is nothing I would ever wish upon anyone, know that there is a silver lining. Your stories (and ones like yours) are the most powerful ones on here for me and others, as they are poignant reminders that, even after an extended period of time, we still need to be vigilant.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Losing my dog a year ago is the same thing that set me off again - worse than ever. At that time my husband got fed up and started yelling at me and threatening divorce (cue...I'm upset and he doesn't care, so drink more). Then winter was here and I'm bored. On and On and On. Got myself together in January after showing up drunk for my best friends 40th birthday, went through the withdrawals, actually started cleaning my house, making supper and doing projects long put off. Then my work from home job got busy and my husband because sort of my manager and we bicker over work stuff all the time. Off I went again, so I started AA. It hasn't worked well for me yet, I'm SO uncomfortable due to certain people there who whisper about me and etc. I know I need to look for a different gathering, just hard with it being at 8pm almost everywhere and getting home so late, also I do work at night after the phones go away. My Dr. wasn't real helpful other than to refer me to a Psychiatrist who I have messages out to. My Grandma died last week, husband and I started fighting badly so I know I need help as I slipped up again using those as an excuse. Physically....horrible anxiety, heavily beating heart, sweats/cold, shaking (shaking is pretty much done), weak muscles, not eating. I hope by the time I turn (cough) 40 in August I will have some success. Thanks for letting me blab on. Good luck to everyone!