My God! What have I done?

Old 06-28-2016, 09:51 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

I feel wretched!
Sick, shakey and so very depressed.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Get out all alcohol from home. DO NOT COUNT what happened as a relapse. Don't think of it, just do it.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:36 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good to see you Hendrix

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html
Old 06-28-2016, 02:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

In bed now - tomorrow is a brand new day. Let's hope I can get some sleep......I feel so depressed and paranoid.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

The speed with which the old behaviours have returned has been absolutely terrifying!

Been there, Done that.

Alcohol is cunning, baffling and powerful, and patient. I've learned to be vigilant, because one drink can open the flood gates.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:21 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I did have a plan - I just let my guard down.
If you are as seriously alcoholic as some become, in time you will know a pitiful and incomprehensible demoralization - you will be existing seemingly just to drink, and you will wish for the end. There will be an utter inability to enjoy life as you once did. You will be bewildered and alone in an alcoholic fog of insanity. You will know loneliness such as few do. There will always be one more attempt at control, and one more failure.

Some of us had intricate familiarity with that 'strange mental blank spot', where every sound reason to avoid drink, especially when we lost control of the amount once started, are all too easily pushed aside in favor of some comparatively trivial idea for taking one. We find that knowledge of the workings of the mind did not save us. Nor did philosophies of life in which we sought comfort and inspiration. We picked it up like it was ginger ale. The most powerful desire to stop drinking was of absolutely no avail. It almost seemed we were hijacked. In the end, the will to do battle just isn't there. Oblivion will seem the only possible solution. Self reliance, as marshaled by the will, in time, failed us utterly.

But you sound confident in your ability to repeat the mighty effort again! Hopefully this time it will be even easier to shake off, knowing what you now know! Perhaps you are not even alcoholic, and only merely enjoying a well earned bender! It certainly sounds like you had your fill and know what you need and intend to do. Hopefully it will be so, and you may carry on with a lovely life!
Old 06-28-2016, 07:39 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I know I should have been more active on here but I did have a plan - I just let my guard down

glad you're back, Hendrix.

there is really nothing "miraculous" about stopping drinking and staying stopped. though it sure can feel that way!

whether you go the 12-step route or a different one, they all involve effort. work. doing.
i pulled out the quote above because it speaks to me of a fear-based plan, one where constant "guard up" is the key.

a plan that relies on constant circling-of-wagons gets exhausting pretty quickly and i can see why it would easily lead to "i need a break!" moment.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:56 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Do your best

Don't beat yourself up brother it won't help know you can do this you have done it before stay close & get involved again I loved the input you brought to this site your a good dude Hendrix hopefully spk soon bud
Old 06-29-2016, 01:03 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Hendrix

I know I should have been more active on here but I did have a plan - I just let my guard down

I think there's two parts to having a plan - one, is actually having a plan, and the other part is using it when you need it.

If you miss out that last step, then no matter how good the plan might be, it's kinda useless.

You;re not the first person to underestimate the task tho - you'll find a lot of support and understanding here, as always

D
Old 06-29-2016, 02:29 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

Originally Posted by fini View Post
[I]

a plan that relies on constant circling-of-wagons gets exhausting pretty quickly and i can see why it would easily lead to "i need a break!" moment.
I think you hit the nail on the head there, Fini at least as far as the initial decision to start drinking goes. Once in it up to my waist again it's back to drinking for symptom control - to cure the chest pain, fear, paranoia and shakey weakness. It was only the first couple that seemed to help. I need to find an alternative to the desire for oblivion - to stop the world for a couple of hours when things get heavy.......

Thank you all for your support and non judgmental welcome back.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I need to find an alternative to the desire for oblivion - to stop the world for a couple of hours when things get heavy.......

hm...i get that 'desire' when things get tough. not sure if it's a real desire or more a reaction...in any case, i hear the scream of "ESCAPE!! get me OUT of here!!"
and then i pause. stay there. nothing entirely horrible happens, surprise surprise. more like: wow. this sucks. sucks bigtime. wow. this is real. OMG.
and it's okay.
so i'm thinking we don't need an alternative to the desire, we need an alternative to the "solution" you went to, the action you did, which was to pick up drinking.

this is where "plan-stuff" comes in. or program to follow. or principles to live by/practice.

anyway.....hope you have a better day today.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:59 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Great thread Helped me an untold amount, thanks so much
Old 06-29-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

Originally Posted by fini View Post
so i'm thinking we don't need an alternative to the desire, we need an alternative to the "solution" you went to, the action you did, which was to pick up drinking.

this is where "plan-stuff" comes in. or program to follow. or principles to live by/practice.

anyway.....hope you have a better day today.
Wise words Fini, thanks very much.
A challenging but slightly better day today. The obsession has returned but it's bed time again and I've clocked up another "day 1"
Old 06-29-2016, 03:46 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hendrix - I'm really glad you're back & wanting to talk things over.

I did the very same thing once. I was sober 3 yrs. & decided I could have a glass of wine at a wedding. Off I went for 7 yrs. - a pathetic attempt at moderating. Put myself through hell. I don't know why I needed further convincing - I already knew there could never be one drink for me.

Sorry for the misery you're experiencing - but it will end - and you'll have your life back.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:43 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

Originally Posted by cairn View Post
If you are as seriously alcoholic as some become, in time you will know a pitiful and incomprehensible demoralization - you will be existing seemingly just to drink, and you will wish for the end. There will be an utter inability to enjoy life as you once did. You will be bewildered and alone in an alcoholic fog of insanity. You will know loneliness such as few do. There will always be one more attempt at control, and one more failure.

Some of us had intricate familiarity with that 'strange mental blank spot', where every sound reason to avoid drink, especially when we lost control of the amount once started, are all too easily pushed aside in favor of some comparatively trivial idea for taking one. We find that knowledge of the workings of the mind did not save us. Nor did philosophies of life in which we sought comfort and inspiration. We picked it up like it was ginger ale. The most powerful desire to stop drinking was of absolutely no avail. It almost seemed we were hijacked. In the end, the will to do battle just isn't there. Oblivion will seem the only possible solution. Self reliance, as marshaled by the will, in time, failed us utterly.

But you sound confident in your ability to repeat the mighty effort again! Hopefully this time it will be even easier to shake off, knowing what you now know! Perhaps you are not even alcoholic, and only merely enjoying a well earned bender! It certainly sounds like you had your fill and know what you need and intend to do. Hopefully it will be so, and you may carry on with a lovely life!
Just re read this as I'm running into problems again just now - not sure if this is supposed to helpful or having a bit of a dig! Anyway - thnaks for taking th time to post