Notices

Feeling very sick today

Old 06-27-2016, 06:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling very sick today

So I am back to work on my sobriety again. I want this more than anything! I feel very sick after drinking for 3 days straight, and I'm hating myself for it. I'm shaky, and I feel hot and cold at the same time. My stomach hurts, I feel nauseus and just haven't felt this bad in a long time! Has anyone experienced this? Any advice to get me through the day? Am I going to make it?
Old 06-27-2016, 07:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

You will make it. If possible, give yourself the space you need to focus on recovery. Rest, water, nourishing foods and plenty of distractions. Don't let your guilt get the better of you. Focus on the healthy choice you are making, and take it one step at a time. Keep coming back to SR to remind yourself that you need to stay the course.

This is what worked for me (so far, anyway).
Old 06-27-2016, 07:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Bronze I am exactly the same. Exactly. I'm counting the minutes till this day one is over. The fear and dread and the physical unwellness are truly horrific. Alcohol truly is poison. I'm trying to stay quiet and drink lots of water. Think I'll also write down how I'm feeling for future reference when the lies start in my head. Take care and keep posting xx
Old 06-27-2016, 07:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like the "kindling effect". Lots about this topic here in the forums on SR. Don't know how to connect you to the link but if you search "kindling effect" you should find lots of information.

And yes. You are going to make it. And this can be the last time you have to feel like this
Old 06-27-2016, 07:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

No matter what no more drinking

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 06-27-2016, 07:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Here's a great link on what to expect, bronzie.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 06-27-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I feel trapped. I simply can't go to my GP as a couple of years ago was warned by Social Services that if I was found to be drinking again I would be charged with child neglect. Although myself and my partner at the time were both alcoholic and my new bf is not.
So I'm toughing it out on my own (again)
I've never (yet) vomited or had bad shakes or hallucinated. For me it's mainly extreme anxiety (probably pulse racing too), extreme depression (the root cause of the alcoholism tbh), temperature fluctuations and generally feeling very rubbish. Yes it gets worse each time (or maybe the memory fades each time). I believe the kindling thing applies to me. It's like if I drink I get to the point where I feel too unwell to actually drink and perversely this is what motivates me to try again.......
Been reading as much as I can.
Might try a little food.
Just can't seem to sit still.
Just wanted to share......
Old 06-27-2016, 08:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi

Just wanted to share I feel exactly the same. Hot, cold, sweaty, panicky, nauseous.... not eaten yet but I know I should. I also feel like my heart is beating ten to the dozen if that makes sense.

I guess the only thing to do is what others have said, which is to stay focused on the goal, look after yourself by means of hydration and food and think how great it'll feel that you'll never have to feel this way again. I for one can't wait for that. I want my life back (BUT I want a better one!)

Take care
Old 06-27-2016, 08:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am in the exact same space as you today. Believe me. This is a living hell - I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Day one today and hey - that's better than day zero. Let's get serious and do this.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all for these responses and the links. I am drinking water. It's like everyone here truly understands and knows exactly what I need to hear. Joandmelandhan thank you for sharing your experience, I know that horrible feeling, the physical unrest, being hot and cold at the same time, and the worst part....the anxiety and guilt! I wish you the best, and just find some peace in knowing we will get through this, and never have to feel this terrible again. Just don't drink any alcohol, it won't help anything. Hope you feel better very soon!
Old 06-27-2016, 08:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Same to you Bronzie. This is a lifeline thread for me. Just knowing I'm not alone is comfort
Old 06-27-2016, 08:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Everyone here does understand and there's so much support. Stay close. You'll make it!
Old 06-27-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bronzie View Post
So I am back to work on my sobriety again. I want this more than anything! I feel very sick after drinking for 3 days straight, and I'm hating myself for it. I'm shaky, and I feel hot and cold at the same time. My stomach hurts, I feel nauseus and just haven't felt this bad in a long time! Has anyone experienced this? Any advice to get me through the day? Am I going to make it?
ugh that sounds painful and miserable. I couldn't stand another hang over, and this reminds me why I stopped. Take an ibuprofen and drink water, and try to goto sleep.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes, it was awful, but I made it thru. I hope all of you that are on day one also are doing okay too! I have been drinking water and Sprite, not able to eat anything yet, and tired but unable to sleep. I'm trying to rest at home and doing a lot of reading. Being here on SR definitely helps!
Old 06-27-2016, 11:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Me too Bronzie. It's washing over me in waves the anxiety guilt fear and depression. I took myself off up to bed early (6.30pm) and have been on SR pretty much all that time. Drinking herbal tea and think I might take a couple of paracetamol to help my temperature and aches. Stay with us I'll post here too and hopefully we can get each other through this awful few days. Jo 😊
Old 06-27-2016, 02:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have been resting most of the day. I did manage to eat a piece of toast, and I even did some cleaning. I am feeling better as the day goes on, but I am more tired than usual. I'll watch the bachelorette tonight (I'm on west coast time) and hopefully my husband will be home from work early today. I know July 4th is coming up, but I have no desire to drink just because it's a holiday. I'm staying focused. It's not worth poisoning my body any more. Alcohol never actually helps anxiety, it just prolongs the cycle and makes it so much worse! Wishing you all health and happiness in your recovery!
Old 06-27-2016, 07:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joandmelandhan View Post
I feel trapped. I simply can't go to my GP as a couple of years ago was warned by Social Services that if I was found to be drinking again I would be charged with child neglect. Although myself and my partner at the time were both alcoholic and my new bf is not.
So I'm toughing it out on my own (again)
I've never (yet) vomited or had bad shakes or hallucinated. For me it's mainly extreme anxiety (probably pulse racing too), extreme depression (the root cause of the alcoholism tbh), temperature fluctuations and generally feeling very rubbish. Yes it gets worse each time (or maybe the memory fades each time). I believe the kindling thing applies to me. It's like if I drink I get to the point where I feel too unwell to actually drink and perversely this is what motivates me to try again.......
Been reading as much as I can.
Might try a little food.
Just can't seem to sit still.
Just wanted to share......
Hi love.

I had different reasons for not being able to go to my GP when I was detoxing, and I knew I needed help. I was in a bad way. So I called the local drug and alcohol counselling line. A lot. Every day in fact, and sometimes more than once.

The counsellors were wonderful.
I hope you feel better sweety.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Love to you too bronzie, and all of you.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

For all of you on this thread finishing up Day one, stick with it, it is worth it!! I will have six months on July 1st after many Day Ones. I feel so much better physically and mentally. We will be at a family BBQ for July 4th and I will be the DD, which is fine with me.

Glad you are all here. Check in tomorrow.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Just checking back in on this thread to say I am still sober and starting to feel a lot better! I had a couple cravings yesterday, but I just stayed busy and thought about something else. I am now on Day 3! And I hope everyone else that was on here on Monday for Day 1 is doing well and staying the course! Just stay strong and keep the goal in mind. Hugs to you all!