Notices

48hrs Sober

Old 06-07-2016, 03:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

48hrs Sober

I've never been one to drink on a daily basis, I believe this stems from the intense heartburn that it leave me, in sayinf this I've always been one to binge on an almost weekly basis.

I'm 25 now and drinking has always played a massive part of my life. I remember when I started drinking heavily, I was 16, my friends always had girlfriends but I was the quiet, reserved, shy one. When I started drinking that all changed. A memory that's always stuck in my mind was my best mate saying to me "You're so good with women when you're drunk, we should keep you drunk" this led to my social situations always involving alcohol.

It was until years later the blackout started. The first one wasn't too bad, I walked a long way home and just thought I'd had too much to drink and tried to avoid it after that.

About a year later I blacked out in Mexico on a trip to Cancun, I vaguely remember punching a random guy, being arrested and paying the local police off. I have no idea with how much but I ended up losing over $2000 that night alone. I also refused to leave my hotel room the rest of the trip.

That was many years ago and I'd never thought of a life without alcohol but now I can't think of how I could have a functioning one with it.

I plan to write all my terrible stories down on this post, I believe it will be a sobering and confronting realisation and hopefully it helps others as well as myself realise how damaging a decades worth of partying through late teens and early to mid 20s can be.

Last edited by YoungAussie; 06-07-2016 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-07-2016, 04:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Tons of good stories to read here, all posted by good people who know exactly how you're feeling. And this thread can be all yours if you keep posting on it! I look forward to knowing you better, and wish you the best--Arp
Old 06-07-2016, 04:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It sounds like drinking has been at the root of some bad times for you. Are you planning to quit? 48 hours is a good start.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah I have quit roughly 48hrs sober at the moment!
Old 06-07-2016, 04:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm determined to stay off it this time too. It was leading me down some dark paths.

I'm only learning sobriety though, so many questions & concerns but the determination and willpower is definitely there
Old 06-07-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh god, just sitting at work cringing over the few memories I actually have from Saturday night. Facing those mates, most of whom I rarely see as it is, will be so hard in a few weeks.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rar

Welcome to SR YoungAussie. Lots of wisdom and support here. Two days is a GREAT start. How are you feeling?
Old 06-07-2016, 05:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

Welcome to SR and congratulations on starting your sobriety journey at 25 years of age. Keep posting your stories and keep reading other's stories...some span decades!! Keep working your plan so that doesn't become your story.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you posted. And, it's normal to feel shame and guilt at this point. It's hard but you can get through it. And, blackouts are very scary. I began to have them toward the end of my drinking days and I will never forget how frightening they were. And, try to not be overwhelmed thinking about a life without alcohol. Take a look around here and you will find that many of us have embraced life without alcohol.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Its likely that a large part of your social circle will have to change so be prepared for that. Your life will improve tremendously being sober. You said you are just learning about sobriety. Just a suggestion, but learn everything you can, and use what works for you.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

YoungAussie - we're so glad to have you with us. This place helped me stop a life long drinking habit. It's good to have others to talk to who really understand.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations
Old 06-08-2016, 03:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks all for the kind words! I'm determined to stay sober this time!

I'm awaren that my social circle will have to change, I think that will be the hardest part for me to deal with actually!
Old 06-08-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So it's around 4 days sober now, getting more and more nervous the closer the weekend comes around. I lived for the nights out and have never really been one for having hobbies.

I need to get my studies into gear ASAP to give me something productive to do outside of work. July cannot come around fast enough!
Old 06-08-2016, 02:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

You got this mate
Old 06-08-2016, 06:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sobriety is a wholesale lifestyle change, and at first you might think it "sucks". Especially if you are young, but you just have to trust the thousands of members here that it doesn't suck in the long run. You can do it man.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Way to go! You can do this! Do you have a plan for this weekend?
Old 06-09-2016, 02:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I don't really have plans this weekend, I don't really know what sober people do on weekend, like do I mow the lawn or clean?

First night off work, essentially my Friday, I feel so alone. The house is eerily quiet and I don't know what to do, I dont even usually drink regularly but now I'm not all it seems to have increased the desire in my mind tenfold.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

There is the weekender thread & small diy projects is not a bad idea at all
Old 06-09-2016, 03:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

If you can find AA or other support meetings to attend it will help alot. Read a good book...read posts here on SR...write down a plan for moments of cravings...play video games...anything you really enjoy doing that does not involve drinking. It may feel unproductive, but as long as you are not drinking you are accomplishing so much!!