Notices

Hello

Old 06-02-2016, 10:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

Today I woke up like any other morning , struggling to remember how I got to bed , what did I do , say, text , email etc.. I am sick and tired of living this way. I called in sick to work which I never ever do as I am a functioning alcoholic , time to take my head out of the sand and realize I am a mess and need to do something about it . Signed up to this site was my first step , today is going to be a sober day and start of a new me. I've been drinking for 20 plus years and looking back see how it has escalated , can't remember the last time I went a day without a drink, next step going to look for some counselling . Would love some suggestions on how to get through the first few days . Thanks in advance of any support.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome wanttobesober61 you have found the right place
Old 06-02-2016, 10:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome wanttobesober61!

If you've been drinking for 20 plus years, I would schedule an appointment with your Doctor before attempting to detox on your own.

Best to be safe.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! Getting medical help to detox safely is a good idea. Alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous.

After you are detoxed, do you have a plan for sobriety? I went to counseling weekly and came to SR every day. It got and kept me sober.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome!!!

congratulations on taking a big step that can turn your life around and bring you into a whole new realm of living!!!!

suggestions? Well, what really got me through the first days was being on here and also AA. Having real live face to face help and support was really powerful. The Big Book was also a great source of insight and gave me something to act on immediately.

ACTION. Making change. Pledging your readiness and desire to embrace sobriety and then taking ACTIONS to support it.... that's what did it for me.

I'm glad you joined us.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice , called Doctor and set up counselling appointment for Monday.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi and welcome, wanttobesober.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are starting how I did....while I didn't have 20 years, I had a "stop ignoring it" moment, and realized I wouldn't be "functional" much longer if things kept up.
I called in sick on a Friday, and rode out the weekend with movies, comfort food, water, Advil. By the following Monday I was feeling better (not great, but not like death any longer) and went to work. Each day has been a decision, and each day I feel better.
Be kind to yourself right now, relax, do what you need to do as long as it isn't drinking. Read around here.
It gets better, it really does!
Old 06-02-2016, 12:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

Welcome wanttobesober
This is a great place to be. Since you have time off today, make sure to read a lot on here. You will gain a wealth of information from people who really know how you feel and have been there. Also there are tips sprinkled throughout everyone's postings on the things that worked and didn't. I functioned too and I felt crappy a great amount of that time irregardless of whether I was drunk at that moment or recovering from a drunk. I wish you the best - please post and keep us updated. §
Old 06-02-2016, 12:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

welcome. Try looking up meetings in your area and try attending a open speaker meeting to get a feel for it.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello wanttobesober, you are definitely in the right place.

Welcome !