Please share something awesome about yourself.... again

Old 06-01-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please share something awesome about yourself.... again

Too often in this forum we get focused externally on everything going wrong around us & don't spend enough time celebrating how amazing & talented we are. I think we tend to downplay ourselves as "nothing special" (especially if you identify as a codependent) and forget all of the tiny details that make us Awesome. This was especially difficult for me in Early Recovery - I just couldn't think of myself that way.

I ran across this old thread in the archives today & I thought we could all benefit from some positive thinking & confidence boosting exercises like this.

So share anything - no matter how big or small. Something awesome, unique, special, or just something that you LIKE about yourself or your life's experiences.

Here's "Part One" of this thread from years ago if anyone wants to read back for inspiration or remind yourself about what you've already shared if you were actively posting at the time:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-yourself.html
Old 06-01-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I’ll go first.

I have great instincts. I often find myself in a place without understanding why until a situation presents itself & then I know that AHA, I was drawn here for *this* reason.

I used to think of myself as completely uncreative but I’ve found that is absolutely false…… I have a great flair for marketing in my business & have come up with our most successful, out-of-the-box events & promotions.

I attended the 25th anniversary concert for Woodstock, driving all the way from Florida to NY & getting lost in all that madness. We ended up unable to get back into the concert after arriving & leaving (it became scarily unsafe)… but I managed to get all of our tickets refunded & we went on to have fun in NYC & Washington DC instead.

I love giving gifts for no reason. When I find good deals or stuff that just resonates, I stockpile it in my “gift closet” even if I don’t know who the recipients will be yet.

I love theme parks & have probably taken no less than 50 trips to my favorite, Disney World. Those days are like getting a free pass to being a kid again for a little while. I never got to do stuff like that as a kid so now my Inner Child goes positively bananas when I do.

I can STILL do a cartwheel, at almost 43 yrs old!
Old 06-01-2016, 10:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I love this!

I'm awesome because I can fix about anything - HA - except people

I get internal combustion machines, and love being my friends and family's go to person when their car breaks.

I can draw and paint fairly well and plan on doing it more often.

I'm an ok writer too.

I am at home in the mountains and can identify most edible plants in my region.

I am fairly equal right and left brain.

I can cook! And grill a steak to die for.

FUN - thanks for the spot to brag!
Old 06-01-2016, 11:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hmmm. I'm smart and good at my job. So good that I've managed to work my way up in my career path even despite my ongoing challenges with alcoholism.

I like to give advice and be a supportive/listening ear to my friends.

I'm loyal and trustworthy.

I'm smart with money and investing.

*notices voice in head saying BUT - you're also THIS and THIS and THIS and ALL THESE HORRIBLE THINGS*

Hmm. Harder exercise than I thought.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm awesome because "I Am."
Old 06-01-2016, 12:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm awesome because after 7 years off I finally got back into rugby and although I'm older than the team by a good 7-10 years and I'm out of shape, I keep trying, working, ANNNND getting selected for games!!
Yeahhhh!!!!!!
Old 06-01-2016, 12:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firebolt View Post

I am at home in the mountains and can identify most edible plants in my region.
COOL!!! Wish I could :-)
Old 06-01-2016, 12:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post

I can STILL do a cartwheel, at almost 43 yrs old!
awesome :-) I could only ever do a crooked somersault lol
Old 06-01-2016, 12:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm awesome because I am about the most low maintenance girl you can find-I would love to wear jeans/running shorts and a racerback tank with running visor and running shoes every day, if I could. I don't expect or wabt flowers, I think they are a waste of money-give me a gift card or something personal instead. I don't want lavish vacations, don't want nice fancy cars. I don't want a huge nice house, I'm very old fashioned and conservative. A perfect night with a guy to me would be going to the shooting range and then laying on the bed of a truck watching the sun go down and talking endlessly.

I'm awesome because I got through the last couple of years with a much greater faith than I ever thought possible, my instincts are kicking back in and I've learned to trust myself again AND I'm awesome because I found my voice and I'm not afraid to use it ! I've conquered my fears, my addictions and each day work to not go back to who I was.

I'm awesome bc I'm a mom to two great little girls.

I'm awesome bc I know how dark life can be without God and being codependent.

I'm awesome bc I love anything outdoors-and have learned how to cook over the last few years.

I'm awesome just because I am me! And nobody else needs to validate me or my choices. It's awesome being an adult. #adulting

Old 06-01-2016, 01:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am a good mom, the thing I am most proud of. I make my kids laugh, and I laugh with them.

I am kind to others, and have helped others through hard times. I am faithful to God and to those I love.

I am a good friend with a big heart.

Thanks for posting this, we all need to realize out attributes on a more regular basis!
Old 06-01-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm a fantastic cook.

I can do anything pretty much by reading a book or finding "how to" on the Internet.

I'm a really talented artist. It's made my career path easy and successful.

I'm all my nieces and nephews favorite Aunt. I think because I did not have kids I will still do crazy things with them and we have so much fun (not to say parents are boring, but they are tired, and they do discipline whereas I let them get away with murder ahahahahahahah!
Old 06-01-2016, 03:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hazelthebunny View Post
I'm awesome because after 7 years off I finally got back into rugby and although I'm older than the team by a good 7-10 years and I'm out of shape, I keep trying, working, ANNNND getting selected for games!!
Yeahhhh!!!!!!
Nice!

Rugby might scare me a bit but I did take up roller derby 3 years ago. I'm the oldest member of our league. About 6 years older than the next oldest, 12 years older on average, and 27 years older than our youngest players. I love my team and I love that I finally took up a sport even though I waited until my mid-40s to do it.

My favorite thing anyone ever said to me (which I totally took as a compliment) is: You do the most random sh*t! This person had come to a roller derby bout and had also been to see me act. I do arty-things of all sorts (painting, some clay, lots of different craft stuff). I love public speaking and I love people and can interact well with them.

I love the idea of this thread. Firebolt's profile pic made me tear up when I saw it yesterday and I think this thread is a good reminder to remember who WE are. Who I am.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Firebolt's profile pic made me tear up when I saw it yesterday and I think this thread is a good reminder to remember who WE are. Who I am.
Aww - yep, it made me tear up when I first saw it too.

It helps me remember to never settle for less than I deserve...and to feed the relationships with the amazing people that reciprocate back to me.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm awesome because I can make homemade sushi rolls. And last but not least, I consider myself the awesome-nest (?!) because I'm a member of this group.

Peace to all you awesome, amazing, phenomenal people!
Old 06-01-2016, 08:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I love, love, love to weed and I laugh at the stupidest things.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I love dogs and old people. The best thing in life was certifying my Golden Retriever and taking him to nursing homes for visits. Now I save dogs - one at a time. I have two rescues and volunteer with two different rescue groups to help place dogs into their forever homes.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bekindalways View Post
I love, love, love to weed and I laugh at the stupidest things.
I love, love, love to do laundry! We should get together and trade off our talents!
Old 06-02-2016, 04:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you FireSprite for reviving this thread, it's exactly what I needed this morning.

I'm awesome because :

I'm a great friend
I'm tolerant, open-minded and a good listener
I'm loyal and trustworthy
I'm a bit naive and always seek to find the good in people
I'm smart and witty
I try to challenge myself and do the things I'm most afraid of
I'm a great translator and I had the courage of becoming my own boss, even though I thought for sure I would never be able to make it work
I continuously strive to be a better person

But most of all, I'm awesome because a year ago, I would never have been able to list the reason why I'm awesome. Because of the hard work I did, and continue to do, I'm now able to say I'm awesome.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

This is a wonderful thread indeed, and thanks for the link to the original one; I've been reading it bit by bit and am absolutely amazed by the skills, talents and abilities of the folks here. It was also nice to be reminded of some of the members who don't post here any more. I hope they're all making the most of the awesomeness they posted about PLUS have discovered even MORE awesomeness in the time since then!

For myself:
I have the ability to live cheap--I'm a good scrounger, I make the most of my local library and have never owned a TV, I can make some kind of dinner out of whatever is on hand and am pretty adaptable even if I complain about the situation at first.

I have run the Boston Marathon twice, both times as a time-qualified runner.

I am a damn good speller, and spelling bees were about the only thing I was ever chosen for back in school days!

I'm a good organizer (usually).

I can bake bread from scratch.

I can spin yarn from fiber.

I'm far enough along in my recovery to look back at my list and say "those are all things you can DO, not things you ARE--and there is a difference and you should think about what it is and what it means."

Big giant hugs to all you multi-talented, caring, funny, heart-breaking, beautiful people! You've helped me change my life forever.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thlayli View Post
I love, love, love to do laundry! We should get together and trade off our talents!
*****o, sounds good. I'll weed; you wash!