Notices

New, seven days, lots of ?'s

Old 05-23-2016, 01:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New, seven days, lots of ?'s

Hi,

Not sure if I was / is a alcoholic but I was a drinker for many years.

I drank cause I was overwhelmed in life and bored when I got home.

Usually drank a couple of beers during the day with about a bottle and half of wine at night. No hard liquor and no drugs.

I had no problems with my life... I functioned, but was I living?

Have high blood pressure for years and recently started having shakes or tremors in my hands after not drinking.....

Last week I drank during the day hard and drank three bottles of wine over 18 hours.... that was it for me, no more of this and I have not had a drink for seven days.

Doing good, no physical problems but I think about drinking daily.

Blood pressure already down and hoping to drop some pounds but none yet.

Need advice on how to keep this going.....

Will I be able to social drink again? Would love to be able to once again drink red wine at dinner or while out....My limit would be two but I never can stick to that.

Any tips would be helpful. Thank you.

TheGman
Old 05-23-2016, 01:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome.

I could never successfully moderate my drinking - that is why I am here and completely sober. I didn't drink during the day - only in the evenings after work but it was a bottle of wine and then some.

It's progressive.

If you want support or tips on sobriety, this is a great resource. If you want to learn how to moderate - sorry can't help you there. If I could, I wouldn't be on this site because alcohol wouldn't be such a big deal to me.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome

My limit would be two but I never can stick to that.

Sounds like you've answered your own question.

I am most definitely an alcoholic and cannot moderate. My addiction is tricky because sometimes I can 'control' my intake. But when I can't watch out.

I have to make recovery my number 1 priority and my lifestyle, activities and thinking all have to support a never again attitude. And I need help and support from other alcoholics in recovery to make that stick.

Glad you're here.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

Originally Posted by TheGman View Post
Hi,

Will I be able to social drink again? Would love to be able to once again drink red wine at dinner or while out....My limit would be two but I never can stick to that.
TheGman
Welcome TheGman - I think the answer to your question would be a personal one and you would have to be real honest with yourself.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Gman! Welcome to SR...it's an awesome place to read others' experiences trying (and almost universally failing) to moderate their drinking; it's also a great place for caring and kind support from people who have removed alcohol from their lives, if you're interested in going that route. Ask as many questions as you'd like; response time around here is pretty darned impressive! Arp
Old 05-23-2016, 02:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome GMan. I'm sure others will chime in on this as well, but if you do want to "keep this going", as you say, it definitely helps to have a plan, whether it's AA, Rational Recovery, or some other means of support - especially if you are thinking about drinking often. This is a great place to start.

To answer your question about whether you will be able to drink again: that's something you have to find out for yourself. I, and many others on here, never could drink moderately...at least not for very long. My benders just got worse and worse over time.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Gman - it's so good to have you with us.

I used all the willpower I could summon up, but still was never able to have 'one or two'. Insisting I could is what led me to danger & a ruined life. This won't be you! Glad you see what needs to be done.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Let me tell you what typically happens with people who post questions like yours. They continue to be sober for some period of time. They accomplish some of their goals (they lose weight and/or reduce their blood pressure for example). Then something comes up. Perhaps they have a stressful life event. Perhaps they go to a social event and decide to have one or two. In any case they may even be able to control their drinking for a time or two.

Soon afterwards however they inevitably begin to slip into a pattern of increased and uncontrolled drinking until they reach the point that they were before or worse. They must then go through the withdrawals once more.

You will not regain your ability to control your drinking. Not if you are like 99.9999% of us. The odds are better than 50-50 however that you will attempt to do so.

How far down that road you go is up to you.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

As Betty Ford said, when you cross that invisible line, you can never go back. Alcoholics cannot moderate their drinking. I hope you decide to stop drinking and recover.