Notices

7 days sober need encouragement

Old 05-20-2016, 08:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

7 days sober need encouragement

Hello all,

I decided to join here for a bit of support and to also possibly share some experiences I've been dealing with.

I am 7 days sober. That is the longest I've been sober for in about 10 years and I am 30. Today is Friday and the urge and temptation to go get a bottle is plaguing my mind. I spent 3 days withdrawing from alcohol and the symptoms were far from plesant, the most striking was the night terrors and uncontrollable bowel splats (gross and embarrassing I know)... After the symptoms subsided I started to wake up early in the morning and have been on a "normal" schedule, it feels good. I've been going swimming a lot, spending more time with family and relaxing at the beach for the past few days.

I looked into going to AA meetings here but the schedule online is wrong so next week I intend to peruse that outlet further.

I'm trying to find ways to cope with my emotions and past experiences so that I can heal properly instead of turning to the bottle.

Perhaps this thread is just for a bit of encouragement to keep on the sober train, since my family isn't the easiest to turn to for support or understanding.

Thanks for listening.

Yah bless
Old 05-20-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forums. Congrats on 7 days sober!
Old 05-20-2016, 08:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on the first of many sober weeks and welcome to the family.

There's a lot of support and good ideas here. I hope you can make use of them to strengthen your sobriety.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

YOU can do it...

It IS worth it...

Your life will change for the better.

Here's an action you can take right NOW.... start reading the Big Book.

(linked with permission of Alcoholics Anonymous International);

AA Big Book
Old 05-20-2016, 08:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

also... here's a frank and honest view of how bad - and how good - it can get;

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-then-now.html
Old 05-20-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
Yes, this is a good place to come for support.
Seven days is great!
Because you are having thoughts of drinking doesn't mean you have to act on them. I had atrocious cravings when I first quit. That's where coming here, or going to an AA meeting comes in. You'll find folks just like you with similar stories.
I didn't go seven days without drink for thirty years. I had lost control. It wasn't up to me anymore, I was addicted and needed to drink to stave off withdrawal. Despite all my best intentions and solemn vows, I would drink again and again.

It helps me to read posts like yours so I never forget what it's like 'out there'.
It's been over five years since I've found the need to have a drink, and it took me a long time to get here.
Drinking isn't going to solve anything. That's a important thing to remember because if you do drink, all you'll end up is drunk. And then all the gilt, remorse and anxiety come back.
Remember, you never have to drink again. And you'll never have to go through the withdrawal and everything along with it the next day.

Best to you and you can do this.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you so much you guys. Freeowl, I bookmarked that link, I needed that.

Today when I woke up I didn't want to get out of bed. I keep looking at my sober calender when the thought to go to the liquor store comes, and i keep telling myself "NO, I've made it this far keep going".

I'm sick of being a alcoholic and feeling bad all the time. I have no social life because of it. No friends, haven't been on a date in 3 years and totally stopped caring about myself because of this addiction.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
Hello and welcome.
Yes, this is a good place to come for support.
Seven days is great!
Because you are having thoughts of drinking doesn't mean you have to act on them. I had atrocious cravings when I first quit. That's where coming here, or going to an AA meeting comes in. You'll find folks just like you with similar stories.
I didn't go seven days without drink for thirty years. I had lost control. It wasn't up to me anymore, I was addicted and needed to drink to stave off withdrawal. Despite all my best intentions and solemn vows, I would drink again and again.

It helps me to read posts like yours so I never forget what it's like 'out there'.
It's been over five years since I've found the need to have a drink, and it took me a long time to get here.
Drinking isn't going to solve anything. That's a important thing to remember because if you do drink, all you'll end up is drunk. And then all the gilt, remorse and anxiety come back.
Remember, you never have to drink again. And you'll never have to go through the withdrawal and everything along with it the next day.

Best to you and you can do this.
You brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for your transparency, encouragement and reminder that a thought is only a thought until it's acted upon, and i have the power to not make it an action.

I'm going swimming lol... I have to get out of this funk today.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Zion! It is soooo worth it! If you drink again you are going to want to quit again and go back through the withdrawal again and again and and and and. Start your growth to the person you should be now. Don't pick up. Fill the time you would normally be drinking with all the wonderful things you have missed out on because you were drinking. Your past doesn't define you. What you do now does. This is the best decision you have ever made.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Zion, welcome!!! The early days and weeks can be hard, but there is such happiness ahead for you, too. We're here to support you, and if you read around there's lots of good ideas for making your own plan to cope with cravings and difficulties. Swimming is a great idea -- a lot of us have found that exercise is a really good tool to help with sobriety.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just try to remember how bad that withdrawal was.......that's what I try to do. I've noticed that they just get worse and worse.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm on day 8, I know those feelings. It's Friday, which in the past would've meant happy hour, which would trigger me to buy on the way home (meaning a weekend of hungover/drunk/hungover/drunk and accomplishing NOTHING).

Do you have any hobbies you can jump back into? I've crocheted for years, but haven't worked on anything in awhile. I stocked up on yarn and started an afghan with a deadline to keep me focused when I'm home.

Hang in there, you got this!
Old 05-20-2016, 10:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to you and 7 days is great! You may well have the hardest physical ones out of the way, if not then very soon.
I've not long completed my first year sober (after more than 30 years drinking!), the cravings get less and less, I promise.
Good luck to you.
xx
Old 05-20-2016, 11:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on a week. If you don't take that first drink, you will not have to suffer, or make those you love suffer, ever again.

I have been at this recovery thing a long time and have interfaced with countless addicts. Most, including me, have some pretty harrowing stuff in their past. And many, um including me, have stayed stuck there.....pretty much a recovery killer. I know early on I have to focus on each day, do the next right thing and stay sober, no matter what. The past will be there to stare at...take your time and be kind to yourself.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Keep posting Zion there's always ppl here
Old 05-20-2016, 04:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Zion - congrats on your first week

Why not check out our Class of May support thread for all those quitting this month

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-3-a-14.html
Old 05-20-2016, 05:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 05-20-2016, 05:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you join us, Zion. No one understands like your fellow alcoholics. My family didn't get why I couldn't have 'just one' once in a while. Um, no, it doesn't work that way.

You are going to do this - and life will be so much better. Glad to meet you.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The weekend is the worst of all when you're trying to quit. In the early days just keep remembering how this stuff made you feel, when you were detoxing, how did that make you feel? Just keep focusing on what you've done over the last 7 days and think about if you're willing to go through the hell again. Don't let it drag you back down.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome Zion...you couldn't find a better group of caring and supportive people than you'll "meet" here at SR. Read, post, don't drink, look forward, feel better...it's an amazing process!

Peace and stuff,
Arp