Notices

Day 12 and quit smoking

Old 05-16-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 12 and quit smoking

Hey everyone, I hope you're all well!

So today is day 12 for me sober (yay) and I feel so good about it because that fear and anxiety that I'm going to do something horrendously embarrassing is lifting away day by day. It feels good!

Today I decided to quit smoking as well, because I only started smoking when I was drunk, and frankly it seems stupid to keep up this disgusting activity if I'm not going to drink anymore.

My problem is - I'm going absolutely crazy! I crave a cigarette so much, for a fleeting moment earlier I even considered having a glass of wine to stave off the craving?! No, of course I didn't do that, but today I've felt very very highly emotional, like I'm going to drop to the ground in hysterical tears. All I want is a cigarette, and if not that then a drink, and if neither... then I'm feeling very wound up, and upset, and frustrated and angry!!

Is this all too much to take in one go? Or is it better to get it all over with at once? I would appreciate advice from folks who have been in a similar position, as I'm going crazy here!!!
Old 05-16-2016, 12:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good Job on 12 days without alcohol. I did not quit smoking at the same time. But, if it were causing me that much distress, I would give myself some time to adjust to being alcohol free.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I quit both the same time Feb 2006. The quitting smoking was so much easier than the alcohol. I have been smoke free for ten years now. But I still struggle with alcohol.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It sounds to me like it is too much. You could try nicotine gum maybe? Or one of those e-cigs to transition? I've smoked a little throughout my life but never got hooked.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm in the process of quitting smoking and I am using an e-cig,even with that I'm climbing the walls with craving, irritated, kinda depressed, etc but I don't think I could do it cold turkey, that's just me though, lots of people say that's the way to go,I guess after 3 days its way easier they say,hang in there😊
Old 05-16-2016, 02:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well - I've made it to the end of day one no smoking, which is end of day twelve no drinking. I feel absolutely exhausted - physically, mentally. How can NOT doing something be so draining?! The mind is truly very very powerful.